1 2 3
Bobzilla
Bobzilla Dork
1/24/11 4:42 p.m.

If you wanted to drive from the middle of the US to the northern most portion of Alaska that can be accessed by roads what would you build? No buying new allowed.

Me: 90 Suburban 1-T 4wd, transplant a LBY Duramax with allison trans, roof rack with lights, spare tire and fuel cans up top, 50 gallon fuel tank, 35" tires and the most comfortable buckets you can find. The rear section would be sleeping quarters for when there is no place to sleep, winch bumpers front and rear, brushguard up front and the entire truck stripped and soundproofed for sanity.

What's your thought?

EricM
EricM Dork
1/24/11 4:55 p.m.

Jeep Cherokee.

And I did exactly that. I also took a 36 foot motohome with me.

Well actually the motor home towed the Jeep, but you get the idea.

http://celebrating20.blogspot.com Champaign Il to Alaska (and the Arctic Circle in Canada)

Matanuska Glacier, Alaska:

pete240z
pete240z SuperDork
1/24/11 5:06 p.m.

I saved the article and don't know where it is. Some old dude had a Chevrolet crew cab + cap + camping trailer. He had all the trailer hubs changed to match the Chevrolet truck. All 8 wheels were steel wheels with matching tires. I thought that was pretty cool.

I just bought "The Milepost" book on Amazon and it has all the information on traveling to Alaska. I can spend hours traveling the map and making future plans. The only drawback is I need 4 weeks off work.

I would rock the Chevrolet pickup or Suburban.

Bobzilla
Bobzilla Dork
1/24/11 5:14 p.m.

The whole drive to alaska thing has been a dream of mine since I was a teenager.

patgizz
patgizz GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
1/24/11 5:19 p.m.

my 4x4 astro

chevy parts are everywhere. i think you can even find small block parts in the woods.

pres589
pres589 HalfDork
1/24/11 6:55 p.m.

Volvo 245 with a manual trans and a Detroit TrueTrac diff, light/brush bar up front (nothing stupid huge here, just something to mount some Hella's up high and with a little something leading to protect them) and BF Goodrich All-Terrain's. Maybe lift it an couple inches.

Honestly though I've crossed into the Artic Circle (just a couple miles though) in January in a Nissan Micra and aside from a fuel pump relay freezing up we had no problems, and that was a known fault with the car that should have been rectified before we even drove up there. We did have bladed roads to use, I don't know how far off the beaten path you plan on going but the Volvo should get you there from what you wrote.

kellym
kellym New Reader
1/24/11 7:03 p.m.

Lancruiser, go for an 80 series 93-97, coil sprung suspension, straight six motor will last forever with proper care, plenty of room to sleep in the back

Raze
Raze Dork
1/24/11 7:04 p.m.
patgizz wrote: my 4x4 astro chevy parts are everywhere. i think you can even find small block parts growing on trees.

Fixed that for you.

VonSmallhausen
VonSmallhausen GRM+ Memberand New Reader
1/24/11 7:30 p.m.

Since I saw one today in the wild I have to say Unimog

Appleseed
Appleseed SuperDork
1/24/11 7:35 p.m.

I know it says drive, but if its Alaska, I'll take a true Alaskan truck: the Super Cub.

alex
alex SuperDork
1/24/11 7:42 p.m.

Buncha Costases. I'll take a KLR650.

4eyes
4eyes HalfDork
1/24/11 7:58 p.m.
alex wrote: I'll take a KLR650.

This was my first thought, then Jeep XJ. If I had to take three of my buds, or a double date, it would be a 'burb'.

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 New Reader
1/24/11 8:04 p.m.

84 4X4 1 ton dodge ram. 38 inch tires, cap on the back. lots of lights, good stereo, comfy bench seat. camping gear under the cap, and coffee on tap being warmed by the headers. (and i actually bought this truck from a guy that had driven it FROM the artic circle to SC when he was restationed by the air force. )

so, yeah, id drive it back. if i hadnt parted it out.

someday, though, im going up there. before the commies take over.

eastsidemav
eastsidemav Reader
1/24/11 8:20 p.m.

I'd probably do it on a dual-sport, or maybe an AMC Eagle with a FI 4.0 from a Cherokee.

Nowhere near the bragging rights of the guys from Car and Driver who did it in a vette, though:

http://www.caranddriver.com/features/07q4/the_road_to_remorses_the_road_to_divorces-feature

Teh E36 M3
Teh E36 M3 HalfDork
1/24/11 8:33 p.m.

I have a buddy who did it with his girlfriend on a pair of F650GS's. I mean, they didn't do it on the bikes, but they did travel together through Alaska to Barrow or whatever the hell it is up there on the north side. Long trip.

EvanR
EvanR Reader
1/24/11 8:34 p.m.

You're all pansies. I choose a 36hp VW bus.

DaveEstey
DaveEstey HalfDork
1/24/11 8:35 p.m.

Unimog with a camper body.

Or this:

EricM
EricM Dork
1/24/11 8:37 p.m.
EvanR wrote: You're all pansies. I choose a 36hp VW bus.

yup, I saw one that was way over loaded above the arctic circle

slantvaliant
slantvaliant Dork
1/24/11 9:34 p.m.

GAV: Grizzly Apocalypse Vehicle?

Schmidlap
Schmidlap HalfDork
1/24/11 10:18 p.m.

I'd love to do it in a replica of a Rothmans Porsche 911 rally car.

neon4891
neon4891 SuperDork
1/25/11 12:07 a.m.

Oliver could do it

Rufledt
Rufledt HalfDork
1/25/11 12:19 a.m.

I'd take my E-150. It's been everywhere else, why not Alaska? I would fix the heated seat, though, or go in the summer.

SyntheticBlinkerFluid
SyntheticBlinkerFluid Reader
1/25/11 2:19 a.m.

Most likely a van by Advanced Four Wheel Drive Systems.

I dig how aggressive the Savanna's look, but I don't think you can get them with a diesel anymore. So I would go with an E250 with the Power Stroke.

2002maniac
2002maniac HalfDork
1/25/11 2:26 a.m.

I'd just take my subaru wagon on 26.5" all-terrains. It's pretty good offroad, and 30mpg would be nice when coving that many miles.

Wally
Wally GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
1/25/11 2:31 a.m.

Might as well make a few bucks on the way

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
heQYRLAUe5Wx9tKmqHJWdMpmsqgjneBOl9yxt5tU7GpH2j6GVvrJgeDHbqOJvXy1