1 2 3
mtn
mtn SuperDork
1/25/11 3:38 a.m.

Corvette: http://www.caranddriver.com/features/archive/northwest_passage-feature

Bobzilla
Bobzilla Dork
1/25/11 7:33 a.m.

WOW... how did a thread about driving to alaska bring hte Mega Canoe?

alfadriver
alfadriver SuperDork
1/25/11 7:42 a.m.

Since my parents have driven the Al-Can highway more than once- in a Focus and a Fusion, I would probably choose a nice and chushy like the new Taurus. That would be tough enough to make the treck over the dirt roads up to Barrow.

But the roads are a whole lot better than most of you think, unless you are planning to not take them.

Maybe a Fusion with a 2.3 would save so much gas that it would pay for itself vs. some of the huge rigs that are being brought up. But I would totally choose something very comfortable, not stiff or jarring. It's a LONG way.

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker SuperDork
1/25/11 7:52 a.m.

I think I'd just put a 275g fuel tank, winch, full set of tire chains and dual sport bike in the back of my 2500HD. Maybe put a toolbox on it for lockable storage. The crew cab is big enough for me to sleep in the back with the seats folded down and I can leave the diesel running for heat.

pilotbraden
pilotbraden HalfDork
1/25/11 8:43 a.m.

My 95 Miata on a set of gravel rally tires

pete240z
pete240z SuperDork
1/25/11 9:24 a.m.

Somehow this seems like the "right" truck to take.

mndsm
mndsm SuperDork
1/25/11 9:27 a.m.

vwcorvette
vwcorvette GRM+ Memberand Reader
1/25/11 10:08 a.m.

This from the C and D article mentioned:

A Chevrolet engineer, dealing in the kind of candor that is almost becoming common in Detroit, has told us: "Let's face it, the Corvette is three feet too long and 800 pounds too heavy. Nobody in the Corporation has taken it seriously for five years simply because we've been able to sell all we could build without trying. So the seats are awful and the rear suspension does weird things. But within the next two years you're going to see a serious effort to make the car better."
vwcorvette
vwcorvette GRM+ Memberand Reader
1/25/11 10:09 a.m.

I would chance it in my 75. It's got a hitch ball on it and a rack for my mountain bike!

slantvaliant
slantvaliant Dork
1/25/11 11:18 a.m.
alfadriver wrote: But the roads are a whole lot better than most of you think, unless you are planning to not take them.

The OP said "roads", not specifying pavement, gravel, dirt, or regular maintenance.

alfadriver
alfadriver SuperDork
1/25/11 11:26 a.m.
slantvaliant wrote:
alfadriver wrote: But the roads are a whole lot better than most of you think, unless you are planning to not take them.
The OP said "roads", not specifying pavement, gravel, dirt, or regular maintenance.

Well, if you want to drive from the lower 48 to Fairbanks- it's all paved. The road to Barrow- the northern part- is partially paved, but mostly gravel. But since it's a major lifeline for, well, everyone, it's very well maintained.

that's what the OP was suggesting doing- at least what I read.

Bobzilla
Bobzilla Dork
1/25/11 11:34 a.m.

I am of the thought "That looks like a cool path/road, let's see where that goes". I like to jsut go for it and want something taht I know would take whatever I threw at it.

alfadriver
alfadriver SuperDork
1/25/11 11:44 a.m.
Bobzilla wrote: I am of the thought "That looks like a cool path/road, let's see where that goes". I like to jsut go for it and want something taht I know would take whatever I threw at it.

Well, that's not what I read in your first note. but if that's the criteria....

But, for sure, that will eliminate any Hyundai of your choice.

slantvaliant
slantvaliant Dork
1/25/11 11:49 a.m.
alfadriver wrote: The OP said "roads", not specifying pavement, gravel, dirt, or regular maintenance.

Well, if you want to drive from the lower 48 to Fairbanks- it's all paved. The road to Barrow- the northern part- is partially paved, but mostly gravel. But since it's a major lifeline for, well, everyone, it's very well maintained.

that's what the OP was suggesting doing- at least what I read.

I don't assume Alaska is all bushpilots, snow, and grizzly bears. I do assume that it does have some roads that are better than others, and that road conditions will vary. .

Enjoy the drive in your Miata!

Bobzilla
Bobzilla Dork
1/25/11 11:53 a.m.
alfadriver wrote:
Bobzilla wrote: I am of the thought "That looks like a cool path/road, let's see where that goes". I like to jsut go for it and want something taht I know would take whatever I threw at it.
Well, that's not what I read in your first note. but if that's the criteria.... But, for sure, that will eliminate any Hyundai of your choice.

But not a Suzuki.... I know our old Grand Vitara handled the Arizona mountains offroading quite well.

92CelicaHalfTrac
92CelicaHalfTrac SuperDork
1/25/11 1:00 p.m.

A Range Rover classic with as few options as possible.

Add a nice stereo, a big nasty lift, deck it out all safari-like, and go to town.

JFX001
JFX001 SuperDork
1/25/11 1:07 p.m.

I'd kinda like to make the trip in a Bug.

oldtin
oldtin Dork
1/25/11 1:21 p.m.

A cousin did the homesteading thing up there years ago (80s) - so not all the way to Barrow. He took a 65 chevy 2wd pick up with a camper shell. He lived in that until he got his cabin built.

Ignorant
Ignorant SuperDork
1/25/11 5:20 p.m.

I'd just drive a dead stock 4x4 something with stock size tires. Truck or suv dosen't matter. My civic could probably make it though.

Finding large tires way up north will be tough, so if You blow your 35" tire on the dalton and its not something someone stocks around there (ha ha).. You'll be air freighting in a tire. $$$$$$$$$$$$$

Stock or very mildly modified is best for reliability.

I mean people ride bicycles up the Dalton in the summer, You don't need a kitted out rig to go down it. http://joecruz.wordpress.com/2010/09/09/notes-on-bike-touring-the-dalton-highway/

Curmudgeon
Curmudgeon SuperDork
1/25/11 8:02 p.m.

Hmmm. I'd just change the oil in the Trooper, throw some beer and camping eqipment in the back and haul ass. Oh, and hang a dualsport off the Class III hitch for side trips.

Ignorant
Ignorant SuperDork
1/25/11 8:09 p.m.
Curmudgeon wrote: Oh, and hang a dualsport off the Class III hitch for side trips.

bah.. Just ride the dual sport and be a man.

Maroon92
Maroon92 SuperDork
1/25/11 8:43 p.m.

Yep, Dual Sport would be my first choice.

Second Choice, C&D's Dempster Vette.

93EXCivic
93EXCivic SuperDork
1/25/11 10:39 p.m.

Land Rover Defender

/ thread

Ignorant
Ignorant SuperDork
1/26/11 6:20 a.m.
93EXCivic wrote: Toyota Land Cruiser / thread

Fixed it for you

bring a fire extinguisher for the electrical fires with the land rover..

Seriously read the expo guide to land rovers... Most agree they are totally pains in the ass and continually break.. http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=20219

93EXCivic
93EXCivic SuperDork
1/26/11 10:11 a.m.
Ignorant wrote:
93EXCivic wrote: Toyota Land Cruiser / thread
Fixed it for you bring a fire extinguisher for the electrical fires with the land rover.. Seriously read the expo guide to land rovers... Most agree they are totally pains in the ass and continually break.. http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=20219

My family in England has always had Land Rovers and they were more reliable then the one Toyota that they had.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
1yPlJTO8Kr1CmWTtrDE4fkwuIcIi3GaDiaNOg7zxg6WsoztbytDULw1n0d1WBoxA