1 ... 3 4 5
Kreb (Forum Supporter)
Kreb (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UberDork
1/3/21 10:50 a.m.

A SBF in the Falcon is an incredibly tight fit, and I imagine that the LSX wouldn't be any better. I got mine in with hours worth of sweat and tears. The problem is the unnecessarily large shock towers, but it's not too hard to modify them with a grinder, a welder and some steel.   

chaparral
chaparral Dork
1/3/21 12:49 p.m.

On the VW EA211 front: apparently the short block including manifolds is 107 kg (235#) and the whole engine including turbo system is 125kg (275#)

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/3/21 1:00 p.m.

In reply to chaparral :

Did you mean long block?  Short block is without cylinder head(s).

That's the 1.4 engine, right?

ProDarwin
ProDarwin MegaDork
1/3/21 3:58 p.m.
DeadSkunk (Warren) said:

In reply to ProDarwin :

The exhaust manifolds are on that engine. In something like the Falcon, the overall width would be the critical dimension, I think. A Miata engine, especially with a supercharger or turbo starts to get wide. From memory, I think the LS engine in my car is 26" at the exhaust outlets and the rest of it is slightly narrower. I should go measure the Miata engine width for comparison.

Doh, I missed that.  I see it now.

I'm not sure about the OP, but in my case, for a daily/street car, I don't just want an engine to fit, I want room in the engine bay to work.

chaparral
chaparral Dork
1/3/21 11:12 p.m.

In reply to Pete. (l33t FS) :

Sorry, long-block.

1.4t engine, yes.

JBinMD
JBinMD New Reader
1/4/21 11:23 a.m.

Well if no one else is going to say it, I will... 

VR6 - come at me bros

Narrower than a V6/V8, shorter than an L6, lots of aftermarket, relatively cheap and plentiful, and glorious exhaust sound.  No idea what the rwd transmission options are though.  

DeadSkunk  (Warren)
DeadSkunk (Warren) PowerDork
1/4/21 6:58 p.m.

In reply to JBinMD :

Like a lot of FWD engines it would need an adapter plate and custom flywheel/clutch. I agree about the sound they make, too.

Pete. (l33t FS)
1/4/21 8:31 p.m.

In reply to DeadSkunk (Warren) :

There was a company making a VR6 to Chevy trans pattern bellhousing.  With that you can use a Tremec or a T5 or a T10 or a Muncie or a Brinn (if you are a masochist) or a Jerico or a Liberty or a...

Chesterfield
Chesterfield Reader
1/4/21 9:25 p.m.

I am not sure I would recommend a Brinn for any sort of street use (not even if you are masochist), but it would save weight. It did work really well in my friend's dirt modified.

Opti
Opti Dork
1/4/21 9:48 p.m.

NA 2.4 ecoted with full bolt ons will get you close and they are plentiful and cheal

Pete. (l33t FS)
1/5/21 6:17 a.m.

In reply to Opti :

The Power Book for Ecotecs got something like 300 (maybe 340) from a 2.4 without much work.

Ian F (Forum Supporter)
Ian F (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
1/5/21 6:50 a.m.
JBinMD said:

Well if no one else is going to say it, I will... 

VR6 - come at me bros

Narrower than a V6/V8, shorter than an L6, lots of aftermarket, relatively cheap and plentiful, and glorious exhaust sound.  No idea what the rwd transmission options are though.  

It's definitely one of those ideas I have trouble getting out of my head for my 1800ES, ever since stumbling across this.

chaparral
chaparral Dork
1/5/21 8:43 a.m.

VR6/VW-to-Chevy bellhousing/T5 sounds like a good combination. 

The existence of the VW-to-Chevy adapter opens up some good choices. If you're willing to play with turbos and direct injection, you can use the 1.4t, the slightly older EA888 1.8t, or any recent GTI engine. Unless you're using a 2.0 liter EA888 Gen3 with an IS38 or bigger turbocharger you'll be fine with a T5.

Did they end up building an aluminum block version of the 2.5 inline 5? That makes 170 hp stock. 

mad_machine (Forum Supporter)
mad_machine (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/5/21 8:59 a.m.

what about an inline 5? I know there are not many out there, but they make decent power and are smaller than anything bigger than an I4

Pete. (l33t FS)
1/5/21 9:30 a.m.
chaparral said:

VR6/VW-to-Chevy bellhousing/T5 sounds like a good combination. 

The existence of the VW-to-Chevy adapter opens up some good choices. If you're willing to play with turbos and direct injection, you can use the 1.4t, the slightly older EA888 1.8t, or any recent GTI engine. Unless you're using a 2.0 liter EA888 Gen3 with an IS38 or bigger turbocharger you'll be fine with a T5.

Did they end up building an aluminum block version of the 2.5 inline 5? That makes 170 hp stock. 

No aluminum five.  It already weighs close to what the old fours weighed, with an iron block.  And some of them made 150 stock and some made 400 stock.

I am not enough of a sadist to ever recommend a VR6 to anyone.  There's so much thermodynamically wrong with that engine design... lots of open space in the cooling system, and awful combustion chambers.

Peabody
Peabody UltimaDork
1/5/21 10:49 a.m.

In reply to Opti :

A stock 2.4 with a tune will make over 200 hp

Apparently the LUV 1.4 is good for a reliable 300 HP with a bigger turbo and a few bolt ons

chaparral
chaparral Dork
1/5/21 1:49 p.m.

Then 1.4t EA211 -> adaptor ->T5 is what I'd recommend

Pete. (l33t FS)
1/5/21 4:58 p.m.
chaparral said:

Then 1.4t EA211 -> adaptor ->T5 is what I'd recommend

Does that engine share a bellhousing pattern with anything else?

How much VW do you need to bring with you in order to make the engine computer happy?

Is there anything in the oil pan?  Front sump only is mandatory due to the way Ford steering and crossmembers are laid out.

obsolete
obsolete New Reader
1/5/21 8:45 p.m.
Peabody said:

Apparently the LUV 1.4 is good for a reliable 300 HP with a bigger turbo and a few bolt ons

Wow, got links to any examples? I'm interested in that.

ProDarwin
ProDarwin MegaDork
1/5/21 8:50 p.m.
Peabody said:

In reply to Opti :

A stock 2.4 with a tune will make over 200 hp

A stock 2.0 LSJ will make over 200 at the wheels.  How much do they weigh compared to the LE5?  I figured the taller head/VVT vs. supercharger would put them pretty close to one another.

1 ... 3 4 5

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
q2dYi2oAGERpelL6TGCUdaSxfCFde4OE8esbBKb1N7WNEsT34m75DE1m12cee8gI