1 2 3 4
EvanB
EvanB GRM+ Memberand Dork
10/4/10 8:17 p.m.

Miami and OU guys? Maybe I don't want to be included in this group

Appleseed
Appleseed SuperDork
10/4/10 9:02 p.m.
pilotbraden wrote: The remote turbo worked well on these and was intercooled. The large P-47 Thunderbolt turbo-supercharger was stowed internally in the rear fuselage, with a large air intake duct mounted under the engine, together with the engine oil coolers. Exhaust gases were piped back separately to the turbine and expelled through the turbine exhaust duct in the bottom of the fuselage. Ducted air is then fed to the centrifugal impeller, and returned, via an intercooler to the engine under pressure. The principle behind a supercharger is that the exhaust gas is directed to a turbine that has a shared axle with a centrifugal impeller. Outside air is directed through the compressor and delivered to the engine intake. This allows the engine to deliver more power as the airplane gains altitude in the thinner air of the upper atmosphere.

But, its an airplane. Fairly consistent RPMs. Any fighter jock that wanted to live long didn't row the throttle back and forth like we do in cars.

FlightService
FlightService New Reader
10/4/10 9:45 p.m.

Don't forget massive displacement and they don't use that system anymore due to inefficiencies, also aircraft use turbos to maintain a constant inlet pressure as much as turbo charging. So while there is some designed in power effect mostly it allows them to maintain the combustion efficiency (not power increase or energy efficiency as in a car) at high altitudes.

In a nut shell, the air is thin up high, engines don't like to run with little oxygen. The turbo keeps the manifold pressure at whatever the BOV is set at. Like say 1 atm (sea-level.)

Fysics is phun.

Yesterday I couldn't spell engine-ear, today I is one.

Sometimes I amaze myself that I ever got married.

Taiden
Taiden Reader
10/4/10 10:12 p.m.
FlightService wrote: Sometimes I amaze myself that I ever got married.

I'm sure she is too.

cxhb
cxhb HalfDork
10/4/10 10:22 p.m.
Taiden wrote:
I'm sure she is too.

burn.

Taiden
Taiden Reader
10/4/10 10:26 p.m.
cxhb wrote:
Taiden wrote:
I'm sure she is too.
burn.

haha all in good fun

cxhb
cxhb HalfDork
10/4/10 10:27 p.m.
EvanB wrote: Miami and OU guys? Maybe I don't want to be included in this group

To be fair, I dont attend Oxford campus. My major is strictly regional, which according to those actually IN Oxford makes me inferior... which isn't true. And dumb. But hey, At least im not stuck up and snobby (most, but not all of them)... But I do wish my parents paid for my school like them lol

On any given day on the Oxford campus (and sometimes on the regional campuses) you'll see who's mommy and daddy bought them their cars... Bimmer here, Lexus there, a sprinkling of Mercedes and Land Rover... Must be nice lol

EvanB
EvanB GRM+ Memberand Dork
10/4/10 10:31 p.m.

Haha I was only kidding. I know a couple of people that go to Miami though and have heard all about the typical student there.

cxhb
cxhb HalfDork
10/4/10 10:32 p.m.
EvanB wrote: Haha I was only kidding. I know a couple of people that go to Miami though and have heard all about the typical student there.

JCrew U for sure. My campus is completely different. And thankfully more diverse.

ignorant
ignorant SuperDork
10/5/10 5:35 a.m.
FlightService wrote: So while there is some designed in power effect mostly it allows them to maintain the combustion efficiency (not power increase or energy efficiency as in a car) at high altitudes.

or as we say in the business...

altitude compensation.

666csi
666csi New Reader
10/5/10 9:08 a.m.

These are the folks that made the inconel heat shields for my setup.

www.atpwrap.com/html/turbo.html

They will make custom shields for any application.

FlightService
FlightService New Reader
10/5/10 12:21 p.m.
Taiden wrote:
cxhb wrote:
Taiden wrote:
I'm sure she is too.
burn.
haha all in good fun

LOL the truth is the truth!

FlightService
FlightService New Reader
10/5/10 12:23 p.m.
ignorant wrote:
FlightService wrote: So while there is some designed in power effect mostly it allows them to maintain the combustion efficiency (not power increase or energy efficiency as in a car) at high altitudes.
or as we say in the business... altitude compensation.

Cool, learned a new phrase today.

cxhb
cxhb HalfDork
10/5/10 12:46 p.m.
666csi wrote: These are the folks that made the inconel heat shields for my setup. www.atpwrap.com/html/turbo.html They will make custom shields for any application.

That definitely seems legit, and probably the best way to go about it. Are their prices insane?

m4ff3w
m4ff3w GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
10/5/10 1:48 p.m.
cxhb wrote:
666csi wrote: These are the folks that made the inconel heat shields for my setup. www.atpwrap.com/html/turbo.html They will make custom shields for any application.
That definitely seems legit, and probably the best way to go about it. Are their prices insane?

Is it possible for inconel prices not to be insane?

cxhb
cxhb HalfDork
10/5/10 5:06 p.m.

lol thats what I was worried about...

666csi
666csi New Reader
10/5/10 7:31 p.m.

Yeah, the prices are out there: About $650 for all that.

Now if you want to show off your mad origami skills, might this work?

http://www.use-enco.com/CGI/INSRIT?PMAKA=326-1512&PMPXNO=12387763&PARTPG=INLMK3

cxhb
cxhb HalfDork
10/5/10 7:47 p.m.

I would be down to try and fabricate something up. Isnt that material too thin though? I could figure something out... As Clarkson would say... How hard can it be?

Rustspecs13
Rustspecs13 New Reader
10/5/10 9:05 p.m.

They make turbo heat blankets for like $100, and if you want you can just make your self a heat shield with some thin aluminum, and a generic heat blanket, its not rocket science. Even plain header wrap works amazingly well.

Stop over thinking this project and just go and do it!

~Alex

666csi
666csi New Reader
10/5/10 9:37 p.m.

I do like going about my business in an unorthodox way and try new things, but yeah: header wrap is good, ceramic zirconia coatings work and are durable... If you are making a heat shield that might come in contact with hot exhaust parts, please use something other than aluminum! That said if all you want to do is shield a plastic fuse box from oozing its way down the side of your engine bay due to proximity to a white hot turbo, it'll do fine.

As far as I can tell, the inconel wrap is made of two layers of material of a similar thickness to the tool wrap... I have the 20" wide roll BTW. I'll be putting it to the test shortly.

cxhb
cxhb HalfDork
10/5/10 9:58 p.m.
Rustspecs13 wrote: They make turbo heat blankets for like $100, and if you want you can just make your self a heat shield with some thin aluminum, and a generic heat blanket, its not rocket science. Even plain header wrap works amazingly well. Stop over thinking this project and just go and do it! ~Alex

haha... Not overthinking lol I just dont have the money to just go grab the stuff to do it now so im more or less thinking everything out to ridiculous detail until I have the money... and im not drowned in homework.

ignorant
ignorant SuperDork
10/5/10 10:52 p.m.
FlightService wrote:
ignorant wrote:

The most interesting part is designing a turbo for transient engine loads at very high altitudes.. Like 14k feet or so like a city bus in La Paz. Big problems with shaft motion and blade cyclic fatigue...

cxhb
cxhb HalfDork
10/5/10 11:09 p.m.
ignorant wrote:
FlightService wrote:
ignorant wrote:
The most interesting part is designing a turbo for transient engine loads at very high altitudes.. Like 14k feet or so like a city bus in La Paz. Big problems with shaft motion and blade cyclic fatigue...

So say I live in La Paz and im a car enthusiast. It wouldnt be as easy as just choosing a turbo that would suit my power needs? Or are you saying it just may not last as long because of the fatigue?

Rustspecs13
Rustspecs13 New Reader
10/5/10 11:39 p.m.

Alu should work, with the heat shield on the inside it shouldn't get all that hot. But there's no excuse not to use a thin sheet of steel. I just had alu on the brain lol.

I feel you on the planning, I have some big plans for my 240sx's. lol.

~Alex

FlightService
FlightService New Reader
10/6/10 7:20 a.m.

In reply to cxhb:

I believe ignorant is saying both. Because of the high elevation you need to spin the turbo extra fast to obtain the same boost (for power or for altitude compensation, HA got to use my new word.) Which is do-able given the proper exhaust temps, engine displacement and turbo selection. Then you have the issue of high rpm's in which vibration and loading conditions (read on the throttle off the throttle) causes a loading situation on moving components.

High RPM + non steady throttle = explosively fantastic failures.

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
x9ilS4IUCHrOpwGqq2Lou32O0EXVrqULYiGQCN4HI0lXqiKkbTlRscpHed1yY82m