1 2
triumph7
triumph7 Reader
10/24/19 9:49 a.m.

I've been looking at the Rangers... cheaper than the Nissan and the best fuel economy of the "mid size" trucks.  I don't see many, well any, on the road during my commute yet I don't hear anything bad either.

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
10/24/19 10:00 a.m.

Probably not that many on the road because "for a few dollars more a month" you can get an F150.  It's not all that much smaller either (I think it's as big as an F150 from a few years back), and gets pretty much the same gas mileage (which seems surprisingly low).

_
_ Dork
10/24/19 10:11 a.m.

How's about that Colorado though? Eh? Eh?!?!? Alright, I'll calm down. 

jstein77
jstein77 UberDork
10/24/19 10:12 a.m.

All I know is that it has the same engine as my RS, which is a gem.

RevRico
RevRico GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
10/24/19 10:16 a.m.

On paper, and the configurator, it's what I want in a vehicle, except for the tiny ass bed. Almost made up for by the 7000 lb tow rating though.

I haven't seen any in the wild yet, and while I know it's basically the platform the rest of the world has had the past few years, I'd like to see how they age. Different price bracket for sure but I also really want to see how it compares to the Rivian truck. 

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
10/24/19 10:58 a.m.

I like it. But I have no real need for a truck at the moment. 

When you say "cheaper than a Nissan" are you comparing like trim levels and options? And are you going off the MSRP, or what dealers are actually selling them for? 

Those two numbers are often very different when it comes to trucks...............except Tacoma's.

triumph7
triumph7 Reader
10/24/19 11:38 a.m.

In reply to z31maniac :

So far just looking at autotrader and cars.com, with similar equipment the dealers are asking less for the Ranger.  I'm looking at the STX crew cab but it seems when you get to the higher trim levels that they are a bit higher.

Fueled by Caffeine
Fueled by Caffeine MegaDork
10/24/19 11:59 a.m.

I had one as a rental the other week.  I liked it a lot.  Has good power and I saw 27mpg on the highway with a crew cab 4x4.  Super easy to park..  super useful(standard) ford interior.  It was just about perfect...

What I didn't like was how small(short) the bed was with the crew cab and the lack of legroom for my kids in car seats/booster seats...  

Literally the perfect truck for me if it came with the european 3L diesel(I just really want a diesel)...  It's a great form factor, was quiet on the road.  Really enjoyed it.  

triumph7
triumph7 Reader
10/24/19 12:26 p.m.

In reply to Fueled by Caffeine :

I'm going between an extended cab with the 6 ft bed ($26K) and a crew cab with the 5 ft bed ($28K), otherwise identical with towing package and bedliner.  The 4x4 is only supposed to get 24 mpg so if you got 27 the rear drive should be able to get almost 30!  (I agree about the diesel)  Even though I don't have kids in booster seats I'm leaning toward the crew cab.

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
10/24/19 12:39 p.m.
triumph7 said:

In reply to z31maniac :

So far just looking at autotrader and cars.com, with similar equipment the dealers are asking less for the Ranger.  I'm looking at the STX crew cab but it seems when you get to the higher trim levels that they are a bit higher.

If you're serious about it, go visit the dealerships. Poke around, drive them, etc. Tell them exactly what you're plan is. You might find you like the Nissan better even if it's a few thousand more, or you might decide you want to up the budget for higher-trim level.

Fueled by Caffeine
10/24/19 12:45 p.m.

In reply to triumph7 :

The crew can bed just visibly looked short. I don't know how they are stating it is a 5 foot. It just seemed smaller or about the same as a ridgeline bed to me. 

the 27 I got was reported by the computer on Steady state section of highway doing 55-60 for a couple of hours. Around 70mph the aerodynamics of a 4x4 truck took over and the mpg,s went down to the 24 range.

2wd with sensible tires should do well on the fuel economy. 4x4 with off-road looking tired not so awesome. 

Tony Sestito
Tony Sestito PowerDork
10/24/19 12:48 p.m.

So far, I've seen exactly one of these new Rangers on the road around here since they were released. They review well enough, so I'm really not sure what gives. There are tons of Colorados, Tacos, and Frontiers (and even Gladiators!) around here, so maybe it's just a matter of time.

buzzboy
buzzboy HalfDork
10/24/19 12:52 p.m.

The gubmint has a few of them. The NPS has a few of them around here for trash can duty. They're about the only ones I've seen in the wild.

Sad we only get the 2.3T 10speed combo here. EPA fuel economy looks similar to what my dad's V6 auto colorado gets.

Fueled by Caffeine
10/24/19 1:17 p.m.
buzzboy said:

The gubmint has a few of them. The NPS has a few of them around here for trash can duty. They're about the only ones I've seen in the wild.

Sad we only get the 2.3T 10speed combo here. EPA fuel economy looks similar to what my dad's V6 auto colorado gets.

RE; 3.6 colorado vs. ecoboost.  The Ecoboost has way more torque... It makes it low and when I drove my rental.. I didn't need more power.  the 10spd and 2.3T is a great combo... 

spandak
spandak Reader
10/24/19 2:15 p.m.

The reviews I’ve read were mostly negative and said the truck feels about a decade older than it is. The Colorado was better liked. I have no personal experience 

Dave M
Dave M Reader
10/24/19 6:53 p.m.

The bed looks uselessly small with the crew cab. In which case, why get a truck?

irish44j
irish44j MegaDork
10/24/19 7:02 p.m.

I don't follow pickups much, but I can tell you they are EVERYWHERE in Vietnam. When I was in Hanoi, either you had:

1. a scooter/moped/motorcycle

2. a very small car

3. a Land Cruiser Prada (like our Lexus LX470)

4. a current-generation Ranger

And that's some crazy roads and traffic, so I assume the Ranger is fairly nimble for its size. i think they look pretty good, personally. 

bmw88rider
bmw88rider GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
10/24/19 7:11 p.m.

It's actually the GX460 (The Preda) 

Agreed that the ranger is all over Asia. So many of them there. 

irish44j
irish44j MegaDork
10/24/19 7:42 p.m.
bmw88rider said:

It's actually the GX460 (The Preda) 

Agreed that the ranger is all over Asia. So many of them there. 

lol, knew it was one of them...could'nt remember which was which. 

MotorsportsGordon
MotorsportsGordon HalfDork
10/24/19 10:15 p.m.

I seem to recall the ranger getting worse mpg then the gm 2.7 turbo 4 and I think the 3.6 Colorado on fast lane truck.

Ranger50
Ranger50 UltimaDork
10/24/19 10:45 p.m.

I'd take the mileage penalty and have a real 1/2ton. The money is just too close for me to deny.

And I'm an original mini truck guy.

Dootz
Dootz Reader
10/25/19 2:10 a.m.

They could've probably dropped the base MSRP by making a lower sub-model with the F-150's 3.3 V6 for fleet sales

Knurled.
Knurled. GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/25/19 5:36 a.m.

The first time I saw one, I thought someone stuck "RANGER" on an F150.

They aren't minitrucks.  Makes me wonder why they botherered, when you can buy an F150.

racerfink
racerfink UltraDork
10/25/19 5:38 a.m.

https://www.autoblog.com/amp/2019/10/14/ford-ranger-recall/

Might want to hold off for a few months.

ultraclyde
ultraclyde PowerDork
10/25/19 5:43 a.m.

I think the case exists for this truck as it is, but i think it's a narrow market. Somewhere there's an intersection between "wants a truck", "wants smaller than current full size" and "doesnt want a toyota."    If I was buying new I would certainly be considering it.

And price and mileage vs full size have always been the stumbling block for Rangers, even when both were significantly smaller. I do think not selling a underpowered stripper model for fleets makes it much worse.

FWIW, a friend of my wife bought one and has been really happy with it.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
x4rBykA9ZYUZA2ogznC843RaAgSKyEtIr2zqQ0trRMS6un8O4apoVkhxEdW5Jlrm