MrLittle
MrLittle New Reader
1/6/16 8:44 p.m.

So I'm looking at winter tires to use as rallycross tires for 944 and I've come across this deal - Continental Tires

The tires on the car right now are 215/60/r15 and those are 195/65/r15 (linked above). They came up as an alternate on tire rack and wasn't certain if it means alternate as in it could have came with a different wheel or if it meant they would fit on the wheels I have currently.

Btw, I feel really dumb asking this question but can't seem to wrap my head around it.

Thank you for your kind wisdom in advance!

captdownshift
captdownshift GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
1/6/16 8:49 p.m.

Run them on the wheels that you have, bonus is the narrow footprint will do better in the snow

Kenny_McCormic
Kenny_McCormic UltimaDork
1/6/16 8:56 p.m.

Does the wheel you run fit within the recommended wheel width for the 195/65R15? Can you live with the slightly shorter tire reducing ground clearance?

Have you heard of anybody else running these in rallyx? I was under the impression you wanted a studdable winter tire for that, as they are generally a harder compound that holds up better on the dirt/gravel. Not a problem if you're running them in winter, but a valid concern, not much of a deal if you burn them up in a couple events.

MrLittle
MrLittle New Reader
1/6/16 9:04 p.m.

In reply to Kenny_McCormic:

Good points sir. I really can't afford to lose any ground clearance.

It doesn't matter anymore actually, the site says less than 10 remaining and when you go to checkout they say unavailable. I think I'll end up going with some altimax artics (studdable) and they are only $20.00 more a tire.

Also, in talking with my brother he posed the point of finding a symmetrical tire (sadly the artics are not) vs asymmetrical for rotation purposes.

For the rallyx folks, what sort of tire do you see people or you yourself run?

captdownshift
captdownshift GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
1/6/16 9:09 p.m.

For rallycross I'd get the highest speed rated (for sidewall stiffness; helps prevent debeading and improve turn in response) snow tire available within your budget. I'm a believer that the sidewall stiffness of the snow tire matters more than the tread pattern

Robbie
Robbie GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
1/6/16 9:13 p.m.
captdownshift wrote: For rallycross I'd get the highest speed rated (for sidewall stiffness; helps prevent debeading and improve turn in response) snow tire available within your budget. I'm a believer that the sidewall stiffness of the snow tire matters more than the tread pattern

Interesting. Not sure I would have thought of that on my own but it makes good sense. Thanks! (And I didn't even start this thread).

Knurled
Knurled GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/6/16 9:13 p.m.

Yeah, but you'd have to try very hard to debead with a rear-driver, and snow tires' advantage over rally tires is their lower rolling resistance, which is a huge factor in an underpowered car like a 944.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
80p70m6oVsFrNNo6C6tyyDOmBwMyoK7ZsYQTGkIQzWzvoj7bqdOcePMFeuMp7TdA