1 2
ignorant
ignorant SuperDork
6/6/10 7:37 a.m.

1 more thing.. use dielectric grease on the wires and plugs when connecting them.. Use plenty of it. You'll thank yourself later.

egnorant
egnorant Dork
6/6/10 10:45 a.m.

When removing, do one plug at a time, one wire at a time. Just a good rule to avoid confusion. Also, plugs should "Pop" loose. If you need to use significant force after 1/4 to 1/3 turn you may have seized threads or carbon build up. This doesn't happen often, but if it does, try a shot of carb cleaner and turn the plug back and forth in that 1/4 to 1/3 turn range and move to the next plug. Come back later and try again. Unless you are ready for possible stripped threads and some down time, I would just tighten it back up and wait for a better time or pro help.

Don't get too paranoid about this as the force required is a lot and I have only done it twice on aluminum block cars that were A: over 200,000 miles on this set of plugs and B: sat for 2 years after a mechanically criminal idiot improved his car to a coma.

Bruce

triumph5
triumph5 New Reader
6/6/10 11:27 a.m.

Invest a couple of bucks--harbor freight--and buy the spark plug boot removal pliars. They grab the boot, NOT the wire, allow you to twist the boot off, and save your finger tips. One of the best "specialized" tools I've ever purchased. Especially useful with heads where the boot is recessed down into the head. Thought I was dumb to buy it; now don't change plus without it.

DaveEstey
DaveEstey Reader
6/6/10 12:43 p.m.

Doesn't the Scion Xa have coil on plug? Eliminates half the troubles right there.

The plugs should come pre-gapped but it's not a bad idea to double check them.

DWNSHFT
DWNSHFT Reader
6/6/10 9:17 p.m.

This sounds crazy, but Japanese cars get Japanese plugs (NGK for me), German cars get German plugs (Bosch for me). I'll put American plugs in my Saturn when the time comes. I only have two anecdotal data points, but my 914 didn't like NGK and liked Bosch, and my Miata didn't like Bosch but loved NGK.

Wait, those were both race cars, maybe it has something to do with that...

No, really. I'm serious.

David

Wally
Wally GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
6/6/10 9:34 p.m.
DWNSHFT wrote: This sounds crazy, but Japanese cars get Japanese plugs (NGK for me), German cars get German plugs (Bosch for me). I'll put American plugs in my Saturn when the time comes. I only have two anecdotal data points, but my 914 didn't like NGK and liked Bosch, and my Miata didn't like Bosch but loved NGK. Wait, those were both race cars, maybe it has something to do with that... No, really. I'm serious. David

+1 ACs in the chevy, Autolite in the ford, and Champions in Dodges.

81gtv6
81gtv6 GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
6/7/10 8:16 a.m.

Funny thing about that ^. Both of my GM SAABs call for NGK plugs, just like my lawnmower.

Wally
Wally GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
6/7/10 8:56 a.m.

Some of the newer AC's are made by NGK. When I changed them on my Malibu it called for iridium plugs and the metal shells were stamped NGK, but since all ACs were on sale that week they were three bucks less than the NGKs

hotrodlarry
hotrodlarry Reader
6/7/10 8:57 a.m.
81gtv6 wrote: Funny thing about that ^. Both of my GM SAABs call for NGK plugs, just like my lawnmower.

Even the pre-GM Saabs require NGK plugs.

Powar
Powar Dork
6/7/10 9:17 a.m.
hotrodlarry wrote: Even the pre-GM Saabs require NGK plugs.

Yep. I put a new set of NGKs in the 96 DeLuxe Saturday morning.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
KyvLCL1hIpi1OLLKjeTa0dccxnx0EhYauDaNQuMz97l9J9blHPEhm6WuHj88Bcvq