wlkelley3
wlkelley3 SuperDork
3/6/15 10:18 p.m.

Just got a set of Nitto NT01's for the Miata. Putting them on a set of Kosei rims that currently have Hankook C71 autocross tires. Two are worn and two are good so want to keep the good two for possible later use. Also currently have the hollow Alloys that came on my 99 Miata with Falken Zeix 912 with low mileage. Would like to keep them in good shape also. Plan on leaving the Nitto's on the car and driving to/from events. Would like to move the extra tires out of the garage as space is becoming premium. My house has a crawlspace that is kinda tall. A little more than 3 feet at the short end and 6 foot at the tall end. So naturally I do use it for storage and would like to put the tires down there. Always cool and dark with same humidity as outside or in garage. Would it be best to put the tires in plastic bags to preserve them? Any other tricks I should consider?

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
3/6/15 10:43 p.m.

I don't think the plastic bags would be necessary if you store the tires in a dark space, but it may make them less yucky when you pull them out again.

wbjones
wbjones MegaDork
3/7/15 4:15 a.m.

my understanding is … cold protection is as important (if not more) than UV protection (black bags) …

so is the crawl space heated ?

wclark
wclark Reader
3/7/15 6:18 a.m.

In reply to wlkelley3:

Many tire manufacturers have a recommended storage practices web page. Here is a typical set of recommendations: Goodyear RV Tire Storage

Basically... avoid temp extremes, dry, dark, away from ozone generators (e.g. electric motors).

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
DW9h8KYF8ZBOO5anSk4zzwHqzPenEdONIIVzDFRbJIrbQf2uzeYU1g3YsWcB7Mwn