Flight Service
Flight Service MegaDork
3/6/15 10:15 p.m.

My wife thinks they are cute like a Mini.

So much for them being more masculine than the a Miata

TheAnswerIsStillTrue

secretariata
secretariata GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
3/6/15 11:47 p.m.

Maybe "masculinity" isn't the reason to like the Frisbees? I currently have both and the Miata is going away soon. My main reasons are that the FR-S is a better/more comfortable DD and I have less instances where people try to kill me while driving the FR-S than the Miata. I have owned my Miata for almost 5 years and for the first 2.5 years it was my DD. I went from having some idiot trying to lane change on top of me approximately 1-2x per month to 2-3x per week on the same commute during my 2.5 years of DD'ing the Miata. After driving our 7g Celica for a few weeks I realized it was a better/more comfortable DD and I wasn't avoiding being killed nearly as often so I quit DD'ing the Miata. I've had, and been DD'ing, my FR-S for 5 weeks now and I haven't had to use my horn or exit my lane because some moron wants to occupy the same space a single time.

Oh, and in 5 years I drove the Miata as a convertible about 10 times. I put a hard top on it within 8 months of purchase and haven't taken it off since. I'm not "down" on Miatas, they just aren't my "answer" any more...

SnowMongoose
SnowMongoose Dork
3/7/15 12:00 a.m.

In reply to secretariata:

This this this. Bonus points because I'm 6'3''.
Miata is an answer, not the answer.

T.J.
T.J. PowerDork
3/7/15 6:11 a.m.
SnowMongoose wrote: In reply to secretariata: Miata is an answer, not *the* answer.

You are clearly not asking the right question.

Mr_Clutch42
Mr_Clutch42 Dork
3/7/15 6:49 a.m.

In reply to Flight Service: Your wife is among the minority. I think that the design is more exotic and beautiful than anything else that you can describe it. I think I've still only seen one woman driving one, and she is one of my local autocross competitors.

OldGray320i
OldGray320i Reader
3/7/15 9:09 a.m.

To big and tall guys who complain about not fitting in to a Miata, that's your own dang fault for being tall/big. You could have some leg bone removed and lose a lot of weight to fit .... I've always lamented being a small guy (5'8 160 nowadays... used to be skinnier still), but when it comes to fitting in a small car, and I love driving small cars, my stature is ideal. My boy is 6ft, and he fits fine in it, but is of slender build like his pops.

I remember the first time I saw our regional manager at the time drive up in a Miata (must have been around 2000 or so), and I thought, "dude, kind of a girly car for a man of power". I now drive that same car. And love it!

Now owning one, I believe it is and always will be The Answer. If you fit.

As to the FRS/BRZ being "cute" I agree with Mr.Clutch42, I don't think I've ever heard anybody describe it as "cute". My wife and I saw one while out for dinner last night, and she used the words "neat looking".

kanaric
kanaric Dork
3/7/15 9:11 a.m.

To a woman cute means something totally different than it does to a man. Shes saying she likes it and that it's cool pretty much.

jimbob_racing
jimbob_racing Dork
3/7/15 10:54 a.m.

My wife doesn't say cute, her word is adorable. Me: "Hey honey, check out this vintage racecar" Her: "Wow, that's ADORABLE!" Me: "Huh. I thought it looked kinda mean....."

Vracer111
Vracer111 Reader
3/7/15 11:24 p.m.

Versus

Miata's sure look cute in race trim! An 86... um...I don't think 'cute' is anywhere near the right word. I've never seen the 86 as a masculine car... it's freaking sexy with curves in all the right places! A miata is a freaking jelly bean years taurus look alike...

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/7/15 11:28 p.m.

So you're saying you like body kits - because you compared modified BRZ bodies to stock Miata ones

Vracer111
Vracer111 Reader
3/7/15 11:32 p.m.
Keith Tanner wrote: So you're saying you like body kits - because you compared modified BRZ bodies to stock Miata ones

Well the TRD Griffon is basically stock in shape other than the front and rear bumpers.

Here's a stock 86, still not cute:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eNjgv6fIBdM

Flight Service
Flight Service MegaDork
3/8/15 9:59 a.m.
kanaric wrote: To a woman cute means something totally different than it does to a man. Shes saying she likes it and that it's cool pretty much.

It's Ok, you will be at Southern Decadence soon enough...

Flight Service
Flight Service MegaDork
3/8/15 10:00 a.m.
Vracer111 wrote:
Keith Tanner wrote: So you're saying you like body kits - because you compared modified BRZ bodies to stock Miata ones
Well the TRD Griffon is basically stock in shape other than the front and rear bumpers. Here's a stock 86, still cute: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eNjgv6fIBdM

FTFY

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
gDe2nqGvMyrgOQlyawGhjjwSxqdX7OT0S98PLf92xYQHv99AYcQ5AtZiyHjoH4Jx