alfageorgia
alfageorgia
2/3/10 7:55 p.m.

I need a new tow truck; the previous one is now owned by the insurance company - totalled. I have a 26' encloced, dual axle Pace trailer, bumper hitch. I calculate the total weight of trailer, car, tools, and stuff at 8200 lbs.
I was towing this with a chevy 3500, crew cab, long bed, 8.1 liter, gas truck. this worked well and was easy to handle on the highway. So, what to get next?
How much difference would there be without the dually? A 150/1500 truck with v8 is rated for 9000 lbs towing; will this be OK? Or should I stick with a 250/2500? I prefer a crew cab style and the longer wheelbase, but would prefer to get away from the dually, so it's easier to manuever in tight spaces. For this trailer, what would you recommend? I will be buying a used truck in the Atlanta area. Thanks for the input.

patgizz
patgizz GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
2/3/10 9:05 p.m.

8200# of trailer, i dont care what half tons are rated for i'm towing with a dually.

cwh
cwh SuperDork
2/3/10 9:09 p.m.

Yeah. The dually will give you more stability. You will eventually have a really bad day where that will make a big difference.

SillyImportRacer
SillyImportRacer New Reader
2/3/10 9:30 p.m.

My dad killed 3 transmissions in a 1/2 tin check before upgrading to a 3/4 ton. Hasn't had any problems since.

Toyman01
Toyman01 GRM+ Memberand Dork
2/3/10 9:43 p.m.

I pull a 7000+# Shadowmaster enclosed with a 1/2 ton van. It does it, but not happily. I would go with at least a 3/4 ton. The dually isn't necessary as long as you keep a good set of E rated tires on the truck. I borrow a 35 foot 12K# camper towed by a Dodge 2500 fairly often. It will pull at 75+ on the interstate with no stability problems.

Basil Exposition
Basil Exposition New Reader
2/4/10 12:47 p.m.

The dually isn't necessary, but I agree that you should use nothing less than a 3/4 ton.

I towed a 28' trailer with two racing MG Midgets in it and all tools and spares with a 2500 (3/4 ton) Dodge Ram. All told, weight was about the same or a bit more than you reference. I could pretty much go anywhere at 75 mph. The only sway I got was when some cross-winds would hit me going across Oklahoma. Nothing frightening, though. On the other hand, I have a friend that was trying to pull a heavily loaded 24' trailer with a half ton and the trailer turned him over. I've since shaved down my racing to one MG Midget and a 24' trailer and the truck doesn't even know it is there for the most part.

My truck is a diesel, which I would also recommend. Better mileage (at least pre-2007/8 models, before the sulphur content thing ruined mileage on the diesels). The Cummins is bulletproof, but I understand the GM's have been improved in the last few years. I wouldn't touch a GM diesel older than about 06, maybe later.

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
2/4/10 1:24 p.m.

I would recommend a diesel too.. when you are pulling that much weight, torque is a wonderful thing. If you can have torque AND fuel efficency, that is the best of both worlds

ReverendDexter
ReverendDexter Dork
2/4/10 1:58 p.m.

It's almost always better to have more towing capacity than you need.

I don't have any experience towing with a dually, but unless you're on slick surfaces often, I would think sticking with one would be the way to go.

Cotton
Cotton HalfDork
2/4/10 2:11 p.m.

I owned a 3/4 ton 99 f250 and a 1 ton 95 Dodge dually at the same time. The Dodge with the dual rear wheels was much more stable in curves and windy conditions, but the Ford was no slouch. I prefer a dually, I think the pros outweigh the cons, but either will get the job done well.

Gearheadotaku
Gearheadotaku GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
2/4/10 4:57 p.m.

3/4 ton should be ok, just be sure its an HD model. (8 lugs). Single tire is ok too, just get E-range tires like mentioned before. Good sway control hitch with weight dist and you're good to go. 6.0/6.2 v8 should do the job, but diesel is never a bad choice. You could add a sway bar to the back of the truck too. +1 on the long wheelbase. Avoid 4x4 unless you truly need it.

DILYSI Dave
DILYSI Dave SuperDork
2/4/10 5:04 p.m.

If you don't like dealing with the extra width of the dually, You could get a SRW one ton.

FWIW, on the latest GM's, I'm 90% sure the only difference between a 2500HD and a 3500 is the DRW.

ignorant
ignorant SuperDork
2/4/10 6:42 p.m.

dually's are a pain in the ass; literally. you always smash those stupid plastic fenders into something, then are shocked by the price to fix them. You have to rotate tires on them constantly and it's not an easy task.

However, if you really need a dually. Nothing else will do. They are absolutely rock solid when towing heavy loads.

MilesFox
MilesFox New Reader
2/4/10 9:48 p.m.

You would at least want to use a receiver hitch vs bumper hitch. I would recommend a 250 size truck at least to tow 8500 lb. Trailer brakes would be a good idea.

I would go for something with a manual transmission, considering driving preferences and experience with towing/hitches

jhaas
jhaas Reader
2/4/10 10:08 p.m.

dodge 2500 5.9 diesel, i have a 24' enclosed, tows it easy, i don't even know my 20' car hauler is back there, and i've towed 16k with it before, awesome truck!

Basil Exposition
Basil Exposition New Reader
2/4/10 10:23 p.m.
MilesFox wrote: You would at least want to use a receiver hitch vs bumper hitch. I would recommend a 250 size truck at least to tow 8500 lb. Trailer brakes would be a good idea. I would go for something with a manual transmission, considering driving preferences and experience with towing/hitches

Good point! I assumed by "bumper hitch" he meant "bumper pull trailer" as opposed to fifth wheel. No way should anyone be using a bumper hitch for that kinda weight.

The manny tranny is not a bad idea, either. The autos are a weak point in the Dodges, though I've got 116k on mine with lots of towing and no problems, yet (knock, knock).

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker SuperDork
2/4/10 10:34 p.m.

I am shopping for one now. After years of pulling an open trailer - my 1/2 ton is none too happy pulling 9k+ thru the PA and NY mountains.

I'm looking for a 6.6L diesel 2500 GM like a craigslist/ebay maniac. So far... I'm learning everyone else is looking too and they buy before I get there.

DILYSI Dave
DILYSI Dave SuperDork
2/5/10 7:36 a.m.
Giant Purple Snorklewacker wrote: I am shopping for one now. After years of pulling an open trailer - my 1/2 ton is none too happy pulling 9k+ thru the PA and NY mountains. I'm looking for a 6.6L diesel 2500 GM like a craigslist/ebay maniac. So far... I'm learning everyone else is looking too and they buy before I get there.

Next time gas hits $4.00 / gallon, have cash ready to spend. Half price big trucks. Literally.

alfageorgia
alfageorgia New Reader
2/5/10 9:27 a.m.

In reply to DILYSI Dave:

Many thanks to all for the good comments. (Yes, I meant a receiver hitch, below bumper as opposed to a gooseneck style.) My only towing experience was with the dually - and it was very stable and reliable. The GM diesel/8.1L/2500 or 3500 have the Allison automatics. Mine was very solid and reliable. So...I'm convinced. Must have 2500/3500 for my application. Time to go shopping. Surprisingly, my insurance company has offered a good settlement.

DILYSI Dave
DILYSI Dave SuperDork
2/5/10 10:59 a.m.
alfageorgia wrote: In reply to DILYSI Dave: Many thanks to all for the good comments. (Yes, I meant a receiver hitch, below bumper as opposed to a gooseneck style.) My only towing experience was with the dually - and it was very stable and reliable. The GM diesel/8.1L/2500 or 3500 have the Allison automatics. Mine was very solid and reliable. So...I'm convinced. Must have 2500/3500 for my application. Time to go shopping. Surprisingly, my insurance company has offered a good settlement.

Good luck. I've only had my '02 2500HD with the 8.1/Allison for a few months, but I'm a big fan. I'd have loved to get the Duramax, but this one came up at a price I couldn't ignore, and honestly the 8.1 is awesome.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Yvzp0Z2k2V8IhirCtHhE9gfMxv3sn6bsARvQ5R0UE9OXMeiTxDfgxdt18IFrli0a