Brett_Murphy
Brett_Murphy GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
7/29/19 9:35 a.m.

I was debating trying to get a tow dolly to bring the pickup truck 130 miles from Rockingham to Raleigh instead of trying to drive it up.

This would not exceed the towing capacity of the 4Runner, and I'd disconnect the driveshaft, and go 55 MPH the whole way.

I'm not sure it is the best idea I've ever had. U-haul apparently only supports towing the pickup with all four wheels off the ground, and that would require that I rent a larger tow vehicle.

mtn
mtn MegaDork
7/29/19 9:40 a.m.
Brett_Murphy said:

I was debating trying to get a tow dolly to bring the pickup truck 130 miles from Rockingham to Raleigh instead of trying to drive it up.

This would not exceed the towing capacity of the 4Runner, and I'd disconnect the driveshaft, and go 55 MPH the whole way.

I'm not sure it is the best idea I've ever had. U-haul apparently only supports towing the pickup with all four wheels off the ground, and that would require that I rent a larger tow vehicle.

You're probably OK, but I'd be prepared to run less than 55 and have a backroads route planned just in case you get on the interstate and realize that you don't want to do what you're doing.

I've taken a 4Runner right to the limits of its towing capacity before and been white knuckling it. This is mostly just because of the trailer being a POS and the short wheelbase of the 4Runner. The power and braking were fine, but when it got windy it was nerve racking.

EDIT: I've towed said load with an 03 and an 09 4Runner. 

JohnInKansas
JohnInKansas SuperDork
7/29/19 9:41 a.m.

Not sure why it would be a problem to use the dolly. Make sure your brakes are up to snuff, maybe, but seems like you should be fine.

Maybe their policy relates to lights; they assume the truck is large enough that the tow vehicle lights won't be visible from behind, so they want you to use a flat trailer with integrated lighting?

Brett_Murphy
7/29/19 10:01 a.m.

It may be the lights.

I don't remember seeing a provision to choose 4x4 or 2WD on the towed vehicle- maybe that was it, or they just assume that nobody will disconnect the driveshaft and they don't want people eating up their transmissions.

Brett_Murphy
8/5/19 10:24 a.m.

Been thinking about how to keep the driveshaft supported or how to plug the back of the transmission if I just decide to remove the driveshaft.

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess MegaDork
8/5/19 12:36 p.m.

HF sells a plug kit for just such a thing.  Or get a yoke from the junkyard.

I've towed with my RN Truck, and with a heavy load, like 4500 lbs, trailer brakes are a must.  On a dolly, dunno how the 4 runner does.  I would think that with a proper car hauler with brakes, it would be fine.

Vigo
Vigo MegaDork
8/5/19 1:04 p.m.

My experience towing full size trucks on my dolley is mostly that the truck takes up the whole width of the dolley so if you have a pivoting dolley deck your dolley fenders will hit the truck doors on turns. I cut my dolley fenders off long ago. As far as weight, going slow will pretty much handle it. An abundance of caution goes further than an abundance of hardware. 

irish44j
irish44j MegaDork
8/5/19 3:32 p.m.

I would just do it on a trailer and go slow. 130 miles isn't that far to sit in the right lane going 45. That truck according to the internet is 4300lbs + 2000lb trailer. Isn't 4Runner tow rated to around 6K? We used to pull 5k all over the place no problem with mine (09 V6). 

Cooter
Cooter SuperDork
8/5/19 3:52 p.m.

I would borrow, or rent, a fullsize truck and do the same with a trailer.

But that's just me.    I would really hate to risk getting into an accident with rented equipment while willfully breaking the terms of a large corporation's contract.

Vigo
Vigo MegaDork
8/5/19 9:06 p.m.

an accident with rented equipment while willfully breaking the terms of a large corporation's contract.

Oh yeah, forgot this is a borrowed piece. Renting a trailer sure wouldn't hurt. Whatever you do, DONT buy a dolley. It's the cuttingest of double edged swords! lol 

Patrick
Patrick GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/5/19 9:14 p.m.

Uhaul won’t let you use a dolly with that truck because of width.  I got them(junkyard with uhaul stuff)  to rent me one to tow my old 88 by lying and saying we had skinny wheels up front.  My transmission broke 8 hours from home, and it was my only hope.  It took 3 adults 3 tries to get the truck rolling fast enough to jam the tires between the fenders and the straps didn’t work so well.  

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
8/5/19 9:21 p.m.

The AAA Premier Package runs about $156 per year. 

You get 5 service calls included.  A service call can be a jump, lock-out, or tow.  

Up to 100 miles per tow and one of the 5 services can be up to a 200 mile tow.  

So, for $156 you can get this truck towed once for 200 miles (or the 130 miles you need.)  That is cheap in itself but then you still have 4 more tows available to you of 100 miles.  

Asterisk:

• prices and miles vary by area but the website will give you the details.
  • expect a 2 day wait period meaning you can not sign up today and have towed the same day.  
  • AAA will require the vehicle has non-expired plates but they have no way to verify that those plates belong to that vehicle.  
  • AAA covers a person, not a vehicle meaning that if you are present at the place of tow to show your card, you can have a different vehicle towed every time (ask me how I know)  

A one day Uhaul dolly rental will cost you $50.  For just $100-ish more you get 4 additional tows this year.  

Brett_Murphy
8/6/19 9:19 a.m.

Great info, John!

How would AAA handle a dead, un-plated truck, though?

Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
8/6/19 9:36 a.m.

It has to have a in date north Carolina plate on it. However, it doesn't have to go to the vehicle its bolted on. 

RevRico
RevRico GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
8/6/19 9:40 a.m.

In reply to Brett_Murphy :

I may be finding that out this week. My plan is to take the plate I have that is registered and insured through AAA and put it on the dead truck, if I get it. Then tip the driver well. 

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
8/6/19 9:42 a.m.

In reply to Dusterbd13-michael :

Agreed.

For thr tow truck driver, on his AAA paperwork, there is a spot to put in a plate number and expiration date that he must fill in.  

Remember, the driver is usually just a guy getting paid by the hour (not the truck owner) but it is this guy who will make the decision if your truck gets towed or not.  Do everything you can to make the job easy for him ( but dont get in his way or tell him how to do his job.)  A $10-$20 tip directly to the driver will go a long way!

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
8/6/19 9:48 a.m.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Cdow9NFPSifZIiFpCtHeHomQWThUPjud5vBUtyQXf4XaFimEH551PvK1wZHSAuVN