DeadSkunk
DeadSkunk PowerDork
5/26/18 7:00 a.m.

Myself, and another local young car enthusiast both own early 70s Corollas, both without engines. I'm looking at a swap anyway, but he asked me what other newer Toyota motors would be a direct bolt up to the transmissions we have. I know they originally had 2TCs and 3TCs will fit, too. Is there any other more common choice?

Edit: He has also added that he'd like to stay on carbs and not need an ECU, so that's narrowing the choices a lot.

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess MegaDork
5/26/18 7:31 a.m.

It is my understanding that the only thing that will bolt up to the transmissions you have now, which I think is a T40, is another T block motor, or the motor that laid sideways in the van.  Now, the 4AG motors were in front of T50 transmissions, but the bell housing is different.  The T50 bell housings MIGHT (probably will) bolt up to your T40's, so you could use any A block motor and your T40's.  Also, a T50 transmission will PROBABLY bolt right in in place of your T40.  4AFC motors have carbs.  So, if you really, really want to stick with a stock motor with carbs, a 4AFC motor in front of a T50 transmission should fit with only motor mounts to worry about.  There is also an intake manifold out there for a large port 4AG motor to put side drafts on.  Maybe small port also.  Some experimental work might get you a carbed 7AFE motor with a 4AFC intake manifold.  The 4AFC did about 100 HP or a little better.  In an AE92, it would get 40MPG on the highway.  A 20 valve in the same car would get about 26-28.

Besides the MPG on an AE92 with those two engines and working on a friend's 4AG (I think it was a large port, but it's been >20 years) with side drafts, the rest is conjecture on my part and not the result of direct experimentation.

wheelsmithy
wheelsmithy GRM+ Memberand Dork
5/26/18 8:12 a.m.

I'd suggest your buddy track down a T, and build it. They are great engines. Pretty , too.

Trackmouse
Trackmouse UltraDork
5/26/18 8:51 a.m.

In reply to wheelsmithy :

It is a VERY hard motor to find, find part for, find people that are willing to part ways with parts. 

Heres a really simple, really good engine for that chassis- the 22r. Yes, you’ll have to use a W transmission that came on them, and that means getting a custom shaft made, but in the end you can buy an early 22r block, a 20r head, a Weber intake and carb, and sit at a healthy, fat 140hp/160tq. In that little “mango” Corolla, it’ll be plenty of fun, have tons of aftermarket, and be bulletproof for about 1,500$. You’ll not even find 100hp with any 4a engine swap. Unless you go 20v, and then you’re looking at big money for the EFI conversion, or side draft carbs and spark management. 

You can get get a wrecked yota truck for pennies these days. 20r heads are all over junk yards and forums 

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess MegaDork
5/26/18 9:17 a.m.

It is my understanding that you'll need basically the whole front of the 20R motor to swap that on a 22R.  Then there's always the 18RG.  Probably unicorn status today.

I've done 20V swaps with both MegaSquirt and the factory ECU.  They are both about the same PITA.  I think factory ECU is cheaper and less PITA after it's together, but a wiring nightmare to get there.  MegaSquirt is easier to wire but more PITA to get running right, especially with a 20v.

Trackmouse
Trackmouse UltraDork
5/26/18 11:49 a.m.

Timing chain cover should fit, it’s the timing gear that’s different. But that should come with the head and camshaft. It’s obviously more work, and the OP did say they wanted bolt in, so a patient game for a 3tc (or 4t!) would work. 

DeadSkunk
DeadSkunk PowerDork
5/26/18 5:35 p.m.

Thanks Guys. I was afraid the answer would probably involve limited choice, but that's to be expected with cars that are 45 years old, I guess.

Somebeach
Somebeach New Reader
5/26/18 8:51 p.m.

Are there any non-Toyota motors that would be a good fit, and easier to do a “stand alone” setup with?

Or do people usually want to keep it same badge?

Trackmouse
Trackmouse UltraDork
5/26/18 10:13 p.m.

A Chevy or Ford small block is an easy try. I don’t know if they fit, but the overall transmission fitting would be the same PITA. For that much hassle you may as well do a 22r and make decent power with more room available. 

DeadSkunk
DeadSkunk PowerDork
5/27/18 6:45 a.m.

In reply to Trackmouse :

I'm intending (big ideas, limited skills) to put a V8 in mine. The young fellow found an old SCCA race car, so he wants to stick to a 4 cylinder Toyota engine. I know he's looking for a 2TC or 3TC. By my measuring a V8 won't fit without cutting a big hole in the firewall. My Miata engine is just a little to long to fit. A 2TC must be pretty short.

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
5/27/18 7:35 a.m.
DeadSkunk said:

Myself, and another local young car enthusiast both own early 70s Corollas, both without engines. I'm looking at a swap anyway, but he asked me what other newer Toyota motors would be a direct bolt up to the transmissions we have. I know they originally had 2TCs and 3TCs will fit, too. Is there any other more common choice?

Edit: He has also added that he'd like to stay on carbs and not need an ECU, so that's narrowing the choices a lot.

A lot of people have figured out how to carb a modern engine- especially since there are products like MegaSpark out there that can deal with the absence of a distributor.  I would not let that get in the way.

Trackmouse
Trackmouse UltraDork
5/27/18 10:11 a.m.
DeadSkunk said:

In reply to Trackmouse :

I'm intending (big ideas, limited skills) to put a V8 in mine. The young fellow found an old SCCA race car, so he wants to stick to a 4 cylinder Toyota engine. I know he's looking for a 2TC or 3TC. By my measuring a V8 won't fit without cutting a big hole in the firewall. My Miata engine is just a little to long to fit. A 2TC must be pretty short.

Try getting in touch with Gabe at T3, or that guy from toy sport (good luck), they may be able to get you in touch with someone that has a Yamaha “G” head for the 3t engine. That would be a great upgrade, and it would only be a head swap. Of course, nobody will let those go for less than 5k, but that IS the easiest route to performance here. Then just do a high comp build on the block and go racing. 

http://toyheadauto.com/PerformancePages/Information_and_Modification_Tips_for_2TG_18RG_3TGTE.html

^^^this guy knows his stuff. 

Knurled.
Knurled. GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/27/18 6:12 p.m.

If you could get  4TG head for only $5k, then I will sell off all my Mazdas and build. Celica rally clone.

Note that the 4TG head is still 2v/cyl, and it looks a lot like a 22R head...

Somebeach
Somebeach New Reader
5/27/18 9:01 p.m.
DeadSkunk said:

In reply to Trackmouse :

Dead skunk, have you seen this ke conversions fb Page? I don’t know if he ships to the US. But seems to have some interesting stuff/combos.

Ke conversions

also don’t know what corolla set up you have. 

DeadSkunk
DeadSkunk PowerDork
5/27/18 9:20 p.m.

In reply to Somebeach :

Mine is a TE27, my buddy's is an E20. The KE engine bay looks similar to mine, maybe a bit longer though. I'll scour the FB page for ideas. Thanks for the link.

Trackmouse
Trackmouse UltraDork
5/28/18 2:17 a.m.
Knurled. said:

If you could get  4TG head for only $5k, then I will sell off all my Mazdas and build. Celica rally clone.

Note that the 4TG head is still 2v/cyl, and it looks a lot like a 22R head...

Sir, if you read closer, you’ll see I said 3tg. I know they are similar in designation, but are very different in availability and design. 

Knurled.
Knurled. GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/28/18 7:12 a.m.

In reply to Trackmouse :

D'oh!!

In my very weak defense, i had spent all day being frustrated at a rearend so was not very focused...

Trackmouse
Trackmouse UltraDork
5/28/18 10:26 a.m.

In reply to Knurled. :

Hey, I’d eat my hat as well if someone even found a 4tgte head, or engine, or anything. 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
2CJxu6FSfMSNT9c9Wo1KUiitTUxYYxDCQNw5Nyo9YTLrOt2K8d4G0HQWQRuEwJ1V