1 2 3
Colin Wood
Colin Wood Associate Editor
10/19/23 12:43 p.m.
feature_image

The prize for the most cryptic press release goes to Toyota this week for the following:

Can you guess what’s on the horizon?

That’s the whole release, aside from the title “A New Dawn is Coming” and the single picture above.

We have our guesses, but what do you think this mysterious new car could be?

Read the rest of the story

11GTCS
11GTCS SuperDork
10/19/23 12:48 p.m.

From the profile I'll guess that's the next generation Camry.  Hoping it'll be 80% less weird looking than the Crown.

sleepyhead the buffalo
sleepyhead the buffalo GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
10/19/23 12:54 p.m.

I thought there were rumors recently about them bringing back the MR-2 and/or the Celica?

Colin Wood
10/19/23 12:56 p.m.
11GTCS said:

From the profile I'll guess that's the next generation Camry.  Hoping it'll be 80% less weird looking than the Crown.

There’s always enough time to do it right the second time.

Camry is pretty solid bet.

Colin Wood
10/19/23 12:56 p.m.
sleepyhead the buffalo said:

I thought there were rumors recently about them bringing back the MR-2 and/or the Celica?

I'll keep my fingers crossed for that. That'd be rad.

TJL (Forum Supporter)
TJL (Forum Supporter) SuperDork
10/19/23 12:58 p.m.

I wonder if it will be an actual toyota manufactured product..

yupididit
yupididit UltimaDork
10/19/23 1:08 p.m.
sleepyhead the buffalo said:

With the gr86 and corolla in existence. this would make no sense. 

This new dawn will be an EV Camry or equivalent 4door 5 seater.

wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe PowerDork
10/19/23 1:10 p.m.

Hoping for a solid state battery hybrid on the new corolla.  But unlikely. 

bmw88rider
bmw88rider GRM+ Memberand UberDork
10/19/23 1:12 p.m.

I was going to say it will be their first 100% EV. But I guess they launched that in February in the quietest product launch I've seen. I never heard anything about it. 

hybridmomentspass
hybridmomentspass Dork
10/19/23 1:13 p.m.

That aint no 2 seater. 

Tom1200
Tom1200 PowerDork

If it's a save the planet EV thingy...............I shall hurl.

I have nothing against EVs .............they do lots of cool stuff but they are not saving the planet................stop saying they are.

Did I mention I have really negative reactions to touchy feely ads?

Floating Doc (Forum Supporter)
Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork

At least it's a car, not an SUV 

nocones
nocones GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
10/19/23 1:14 p.m.

MR2-cross but based on a RAV4 and front engined 4 seat.   

I hope for something cool, and honestly we give Toyota crap but they have consistently made enthusiast cars.   They haven't always been sports cars (looking at you FJ Cruiser and various Tacoma TRD things) but between Toyota and Lexus they have constantly made vehicles aimed at people that care a little more about driving then just transportation.  

Datsun240ZGuy
Datsun240ZGuy MegaDork
10/19/23 1:15 p.m.

EV Camry?  Not sure I'll get any sleep tonight.....like a kid on Christmas Eve....

Tom1200
Tom1200 PowerDork
10/19/23 1:17 p.m.

In reply to nocones :

Yes let's up it's cool; they have had lcool products over the years. Corolla & Celica GTS, Supra, Land Cruisers, MR2 and a few others but yes they make mostly appliances..........damn good appliances I might add.

RyanGreener (Forum Supporter)
RyanGreener (Forum Supporter) Reader
10/19/23 1:19 p.m.

Well there have been rumors of the Celica making a come back, but maybe its just the new Camry.

J.A. Ackley
J.A. Ackley Senior Editor
10/19/23 1:20 p.m.

I wouldn't be opposed to another TRD Camry.

Rons
Rons GRM+ Memberand Dork
10/19/23 1:33 p.m.

2025 Camry all hybrid power train, first up mid 2024 - hybrid with 10kw solid state battery 25kg battery, mid 2025 plug in hybrid 40kw battery weight 100kg.

350z247
350z247 Reader
10/19/23 2:26 p.m.

Well, it's Snoryota, the brand that hasn't designed a remotely interesting car on their own in 20 years; so, I'm not getting my hopes up.

sleepyhead the buffalo
sleepyhead the buffalo GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
10/19/23 2:28 p.m.

solid state isn't due until 2027-2028

I could see a "first plug-in hybrid" camry and/or "all hybrid camry" release.

Old_Town
Old_Town Reader
10/19/23 2:31 p.m.

EV Camry wagon... The return of the two wipers on the hatch!  

SupraFiend
SupraFiend New Reader
10/19/23 2:33 p.m.

Thats a 4 seater for sure, likely a 4dr sedan, so EV Camry is a good guess. You can see the rear head rests in that photo.

SupraFiend
SupraFiend New Reader
10/19/23 2:43 p.m.

I think an all electric MR2 is going to happen soon though. They've already shown the concept for it, that yellow thing. And there is a huge void in the market that needs to be filled. Who is going to bring to market the first mass produced and affordable EV sports car? Like a real sports car, small light 2dr rwd coupe that actually handles, and costs less then 50k. I think Toyota is positioned best to make this happen first, and they already have shown it in its earliest form (without acknowledging what it actually was of course).

livinon2wheels
livinon2wheels GRM+ Memberand Reader
10/19/23 2:53 p.m.
Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) said:

At least it's a car, not an SUV 

yeah aint that the truth...these journalists who try to pass off an SUV as 'sporty' or as having serious creds make me want to hurl. There isnt a single SUV I would consider owning because of the ungodly high center of gravity, the high seating position makes for a very pitchy ( I guess thats a word) ride especially on uneven pavement. I want my seating position as close as possible to the roll center so the movements of the car don't throw me around. No SUV or Truck will give you anything reasonable in that regard. My compromise for cargo capacity and retention of decent ride and handling is a station wagon. Long live the Long Roof!

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
10/19/23 3:01 p.m.

Plug in Camry that goes hundreds of miles on electric before going ICE.  

The new dawn being the end of Tesla3 range anxiety 

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
G9FgV1fetOOPl9zKOJwOd3neyzXSUuLQ6rqSdctc7toRfO4NW0D0QkUtfLG8WW6P