1 2
SVreX
SVreX SuperDork
12/2/11 6:11 p.m.

A buddy just got his Tundra back after a recall that had Toyota install a complete new frame!

His truck is a 2000 model with 100,000 miles on it.

It took a month, they paid for the rental for the entire month, and he now has his truck back. 100,000 mile 10 year old truck riding on a completely brand new frame.

That's pretty impressive customer service.

Apparently Toyota thinks the Tacomas are worth less- they had the same problem, but Toyota is buying them back at 1.5x book value.

My next truck might be a Toy.

foxtrapper
foxtrapper SuperDork
12/2/11 6:15 p.m.

I don't think I'll ever understand this action. Toyota trucks have had frame rotout problems since they first started building trucks.

Vigo
Vigo SuperDork
12/2/11 6:16 p.m.

Wow.. that is pretty crazy!

Javelin
Javelin GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
12/2/11 6:16 p.m.

Your next truck should have a frame that doesn't rust.

Toyota didn't do this out of kindness or customer loyalty, they did it because the NHSTA was going to smack their balls with a sledgehammer over it.

92CelicaHalfTrac
92CelicaHalfTrac SuperDork
12/2/11 6:18 p.m.

You really think that a rotting frame out of warranty is something that a company can be slapped for?

I'm 100% positive that there's no way NHSTA could have enforced that Toyota replace frames on trucks this old with this many miles, out of warranty. Nor could they have enforced that Toyota buy back Tacomas as old as mid 90s models like they've been doing. For at least 2 years now.

Javelin
12/2/11 6:21 p.m.
92CelicaHalfTrac
12/2/11 6:31 p.m.

Sorry, i didn't formulate my response correctly.

Either way, i guess it's just me looking at the english language a bit pendantic-ly as i'm prone to do, so it doesn't matter much. Carry on!

oldeskewltoy
oldeskewltoy HalfDork
12/2/11 6:36 p.m.

Hmmmmm, now where is that post about the 2000+ Ford... was it an Expedition? With the rotting away trailing arms.......

I never understood it... until I moved from salted roads country(NE Pa/NJ/NY) to no salt used here in Oregon. You don't see a lot of rust out here... some... yes, but not a lot. For example about a year ago there was a 69 Bronco pick-up aka Bronco wagon that was just at the local feed store... a bit of rust, a bit of grease... a typical farm type truck still in use. Now where in salt belt regions are there even ANY 1st gen Broncos never the less working ones

92CelicaHalfTrac
12/2/11 6:55 p.m.
oldeskewltoy wrote: Hmmmmm, now where is that post about the 2000+ Ford... was it an Expedition? With the rotting away trailing arms.......

We don't care about those, because they're not Toyota.

Mazdax605
Mazdax605 Dork
12/2/11 7:22 p.m.

I have a friend that had his Tundra frame replaced as well, and they even put new rear springs, shocks, and some other ancillary parts. The sales guy I spoke with when trying to buy the 08 Tundra a month or so back told me that he has people trading in equivalent year Ford's with worse rot on the frames, and Ford doesn't do anything about it. I truly don't understand why Toyota gets flack over this. It seems like a nice thing to do for customer loyalty. There are plenty of companies out there that have similar or worse issues with their products, and yet they do nothing about it.

Feedyurhed
Feedyurhed Dork
12/2/11 7:38 p.m.

Geeez how would you like to be the Toyota mechanic that gets that job? Pretty lucrative I am sure but replacing complete frames on pick up trucks!! That's the mother of all repairs.

ls1fiero
ls1fiero Reader
12/2/11 8:40 p.m.

The toyota sales guy was saying bad stuff about the competition? Shocking!

T.J.
T.J. SuperDork
12/2/11 9:01 p.m.

Either way, whether Toyota is taking this because they really care about their customers or if they are doing it under threat from the NHSTA or some other arm of our government the whole thing still makes me want to avoid Toyota products. I'd rather have a car that doesn't rust away to be unsafe after a few years.

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess SuperDork
12/2/11 9:12 p.m.
92CelicaHalfTrac wrote:
oldeskewltoy wrote: Hmmmmm, now where is that post about the 2000+ Ford... was it an Expedition? With the rotting away trailing arms.......

QFT

Grizz
Grizz HalfDork
12/2/11 9:35 p.m.
92CelicaHalfTrac wrote:

Pretty sure the reason people don't make such a big deal out of any murican companies selling shoddy stuff is because we expect it from american companies(well, massive problems, not so much the fixing of out of warranty stuff) and we've been told the last, what, 2 decades now that if we want a reliable vehicle we need to buy a toyota. Only it turns out it's not as true as everyone thought.

Vigo
Vigo SuperDork
12/2/11 9:41 p.m.

When you say reliable, do you mean rust-proof?

Javelin
12/2/11 9:42 p.m.
Mazdax605 wrote: I have a friend that had his Tundra frame replaced as well, and they even put new rear springs, shocks, and some other ancillary parts. The sales guy I spoke with when trying to buy the 08 Tundra a month or so back told me that he has people trading in equivalent year Ford's with worse rot on the frames, and Ford doesn't do anything about it. I truly don't understand why Toyota gets flack over this. It seems like a nice thing to do for customer loyalty. There are plenty of companies out there that have similar or worse issues with their products, and yet they do nothing about it.

Because enough accidents happened in the Toyota's for the NHTSA to open an investigation and order a recall. Either enough people haven't complained/crashed/died in Ford's, or the recall isn't as well known. Funnily enough, Ford is in the exact same predicament right now with buying back Aerostar / Windstar's for suspension/frame rot. So don't assume this is a gang-up on Toyota deal, because it's not.

Javelin
12/2/11 9:44 p.m.
Dr. Hess wrote:
92CelicaHalfTrac wrote:
QFT

Quoted for lie. Ask Ford how many Aerostar and Windstar vans they had to buy back at 1.5x value or replace the subframes and suspensions on...

Ranger50
Ranger50 Dork
12/2/11 9:45 p.m.

Recall pays 60hrs or so... Not worth it. I'd rather do 7000 oil changes then one recall.

MG_Bryan
MG_Bryan Reader
12/2/11 9:45 p.m.
Javelin wrote:
Mazdax605 wrote: I have a friend that had his Tundra frame replaced as well, and they even put new rear springs, shocks, and some other ancillary parts. The sales guy I spoke with when trying to buy the 08 Tundra a month or so back told me that he has people trading in equivalent year Ford's with worse rot on the frames, and Ford doesn't do anything about it. I truly don't understand why Toyota gets flack over this. It seems like a nice thing to do for customer loyalty. There are plenty of companies out there that have similar or worse issues with their products, and yet they do nothing about it.
Because enough accidents happened in the Toyota's for the NHTSA to open an investigation and order a recall. Either enough people haven't complained/crashed/died in Ford's, or the recall isn't as well known. Funnily enough, Ford is in the exact same predicament *right now* with buying back Aerostar / Windstar's for suspension/frame rot. So don't *assume* this is a gang-up on Toyota deal, because it's not.

Where are there still Aerostars on the road? I don't thing I've seen one outside of junkyard in at least 6 years.

92CelicaHalfTrac
12/2/11 9:58 p.m.
Javelin wrote:
Because enough accidents happened in the Toyota's for the NHTSA to open an investigation and order a recall. Either enough people haven't complained/crashed/died in Ford's, or the recall isn't as well known. Funnily enough, Ford is in the exact same predicament *right now* with buying back Aerostar / Windstar's for suspension/frame rot. So don't *assume* this is a gang-up on Toyota deal, because it's not.

This is the first i've heard of this issue with the Windstar on this board.... but about the 17th time i've heard this about the Toyotas.

Just sayin'.

I've seen more S10s, Rangers, and F150s (F150s the worst) rust out than i've seen Toyota trucks rust out.

Strictly speaking frame-wise. 80s/early 90s Yota trucks were a JOKE body-wise.

92CelicaHalfTrac
12/2/11 10:01 p.m.
MG_Bryan wrote:
Javelin wrote:
Where are there still Aerostars on the road? I don't thing I've seen one outside of junkyard in at least 6 years.

They all rusted in half long before Ford started buying them back.

MG_Bryan
MG_Bryan Reader
12/2/11 10:21 p.m.
92CelicaHalfTrac wrote:
MG_Bryan wrote:
Javelin wrote:
They all rusted in half long before Ford started buying them back.

I remember the one my parents had when I was a wee lad. They were E36 M3ty when they were just about new.

More in regards to the real point of this thread, there's really more of a connection between what you use the truck for and how you maintain it and how much it rusts than which company made it. I know people with Dodges that have mint interiors and shiny paint and Toyotas with solid original frames. There are also 4 or 5 year old Fords with rust holes in the bodies and the frames because they've spend too much time in salt water slips. I wouldn't buy or not buy a truck solely because of a recall

kevlarcorolla
kevlarcorolla Reader
12/2/11 10:27 p.m.

Up here in the frozen/salted north I've been seeing TONS of rotted out full size dodges(maybe 5 years old tops),think they'll ever step up and fix or buy them back?.

Not a snowballs chance in hell.I applaud toyota for fixing their mistakes instead of looking the other way.

plance1
plance1 Dork
12/2/11 10:31 p.m.
Javelin wrote:

I don't know if windstars have had frame rot but I know I have been transporting a lot of customers who own windstars to and from the local ford dealership for some sort of rear axle problem...

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
3bm8SUAmRDAc5ndpIDhklnuAcGkq9ugQVyaF3mhFgSqyOHhoJbFIQujwuoVltQre