1/4/20 7:19 p.m.

Slower cars create faster drivers. 

Driven5
Driven5 UltraDork
1/4/20 11:28 p.m.
Rodan said:

In reply to dculberson :

IMHO the NC is the 'new Answer'.

I've been of this same belief for a while now too. They play extremely well at both autox and the track use. They can be had for wad-it-up-and-leave-it-there money for a lot of people, which is extremely liberating. Thanks to Blackbird Fabworx, the soft top variants can actually have REAL human beings genuinely pass the broomstick test with a proper track-worthy-yet-street-friently 4 point roll bar, the way that no NAor NB can...And will be much safer than pretty much any tin-top without a rollbar, as are so commonly run as track day daily drivers. 

Not much is 'required' to upgrade for reliable light track use, beyond the basics, but also generally has multiple quality options across the price spectrum available for whatever other upgrades might be desired. This includes multiple suspension suppliers that offer custom spring and valving options for their coilovers, for a modest up-charge, which will allow for true 'dual purpose' rates to be selected rather than the typical off-the-shelf 'track rat' coilover rates or barely more than stock lowering springs.  I think one already even offers a coupld of 'long travel' coilover options that are more street oriented than typical coilover rates.  While the NC was never the best supported MIata, if anything the supply of quality performance upgrades seems to be increasing for them. Presumably due to their prices bottoming, driving an increasing number of people to realize their 'Answer-ness'. 

Not only can it fit 225 rubber, it can fit 225/45R17, which if it's not THE it's at least one of the most well supported single tire size for high performance tires...And is very reasonably priced due to it's combination of popularity and modest size. Additionally, not only is the 2.5 an option, but also turbo kits (some VERY reasonably priced) plus everything needed to run at that level reliably at the track is now readily available too, if you want to challenge some of the 'big bore' cars.

Assuming the OP's $30k is more the 'I can afford this for a daily driver' number than the 'I can afford to light this on fire and walk away' number...I would recommend going up to no more than half that number (all-in) on the dual-purpose car, with the rest left over for replacing it if it gets totaled at the track, or a $10k-$15k (all-in) track rat plus $15k daily driver. Either way, unless $30k falls into the latter description, NC with some carefully selected upgrades would be my choice for that price range of dual purpose fun.

I was  actually ->  <-  that close to picking one up myself before redirecting my (unicorn) search to include 4 seats too...And may still go back to looking for one yet, if my indecision strikes back again soon enough. 

docwyte
docwyte UberDork
1/5/20 9:07 a.m.

I seem to be one of the few people on this forum who hates miatas.  It doesn't help that I simply don't fit in them.  Yes, I've tried.  The most recent NA I had there was no way I was even under the rollbar, let alone pass a 2" broomstick test without cutting out the floor and installing a drop floor.

They are also intergalactically slow up here at altitude.  

My preference for car depends on budget.  You have $10k?  E36 M3 all day long.  You have $15k?  E46 M3 or a C5 Vette.  Have $20k?  C5 Z06 or a really well prepped E46 M3.

I agree with what Klayfish said, how is the car going to be used?  Track rat only?  DD with some track use?  If so, how much track use?  Are you installing race seats, 6 points, rollbar/cage?

I sold my track prepped E36 M3 to buy my 911 because I wasn't getting to the track very much.  The 911 eats up the track and is SO much nicer to live with on the street...

Olemiss540
Olemiss540 New Reader
1/5/20 2:05 p.m.

Honestly, there has never been a better time to ask this question than now. It used to be miata, BMW, or 911. Now we have fords, chevys, Hyundai's, subarus, etc etc that can run LAPS around a 15 YO BMW and do it UNDER WARRANTY. Crazy great problem to have. The alpha platform is awfully appealing for lap times and the c7 is getting crazy cheap with the impending c8. 

Drive them in anger and see what speaks to you the most!

poopshovel again
poopshovel again MegaDork
1/5/20 2:35 p.m.

"Let's say you had one canoe, but a huge community of nice people to help you make it go faster...."

snailmont5oh
snailmont5oh Dork
1/6/20 2:58 a.m.

really hoped that this thread was gonna be about us talking someone into getting a Port City chassis with a Five Star body, a Yates/Hendrick 358, Jericho transmission, full-floater rear axle, and wide five wheels. 

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/6/20 8:02 a.m.

In reply to snailmont5oh :

I don't see a problem with that plan at all.

NormPeterson
NormPeterson New Reader
1/6/20 8:26 a.m.
StormFalcon32 said:

Let's say you had $30K to spend on a track/daily car. Would you buy a more expensive car like a C5 Vette, or buy something cheaper like a Miata or FRS and upgrade everything? I feel like the Vette would be better for daily driving and better on the track too, but the cheaper cars are more fun (if you like working on cars) and might be cheaper in the long run due to cheap parts and maintenance.

How much track time vs how much street time are you projecting?

Are comfort and convenience amenities important to you at all or can you easily live without most of them?  How much more than A/C and a basic sound system would you insist on?

Would you prefer a more nimble car or one that's faster but more deliberate / 'heavier-feeling'?  Is it lap times and peak speeds on the straights for their own value or do you get more enjoyment from the technical segments?

How deep into modifying whatever you might decide on can you see yourself going?

You could do worse than a 2008 - 2010 Mustang GT, just to add yet another possibility that ought to come in at well under $30k (developed) while being reasonably capable at both track time and street duty with little more than resetting adjustable damping and swapping wheels & tires.

Norm

KyAllroad (Jeremy)
KyAllroad (Jeremy) UltimaDork
1/6/20 10:14 a.m.

My toy is a 2006 NC MX-5 Grand Touring.  $6,000 double adjustable MCS coilovers and a fat front sway bar ensures that it handles beautifully.  MX-5 Cup rotors and HP-S 5.0 pads take care of braking.  Intake, header,exhaust, tune really wake it up.  Racing hardtop for track days.

(Low key sales ad if someone came along with $12,000 I'd set them up with a really good track/autocross/daily)

But having said that, it's not 24 times more fun than our $500 BMW that is slow but surprisingly entertaining.

poopshovel again
poopshovel again MegaDork
1/6/20 2:38 p.m.

Again, you guys are sweethearts, and I love you for that. But you realize this was a berkeleying canoe-bot, right?

chada75
chada75 Reader
1/6/20 7:11 p.m.

With the Example you gave, I'll either get a Brz and built it to compete in SCC or get a good 2002-2005 NB Miata and set it up as a National-Level E Sreet Class car. 

Floating Doc
Floating Doc GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
1/6/20 7:55 p.m.
chada75 said:

With the Example you gave, I'll either get a Brz and built it to compete in SCC or get a good 2002-2005 NB Miata and set it up as a National-Level E Sreet Class car. 

I like the NB2, but for National level E Street Miata,  it appears that it's not the car to have. 

99 sport. The best finish for a non-1999 Miata at the 2019 Nationals was 38th, although a 99 10AE was 24 and 25.

MR2's do well also.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
0kaamwGYlmlKtNr77dywNYOwwEwOAYAgyfn6zXOUAOa39r9SMmcDWbnD0mINU1Pw