1 2 3 ... 9
dooodstevenn
dooodstevenn
2/24/13 2:25 a.m.

I'm looking for a track car, but not a dedicated track car (full cage and what not). I need something I can load up with wheels, tools, pads, etc. and drive out to the track, drive it like hell, then come back home, but on the other hand I'd also like to build up a "nice" car as in new paint, nice wheels and all. I do have a DD so I have that which is why I was leaning towards a track car (but a nice e30 or miata is just so tempting) so what do you guys think. Having a DD and wanting a nice project to track, e30 or 1.8 NA miata?

Also worried about ruining the car if i go for a nice build rather than a straight track car. What do you guys think?

z31maniac
z31maniac PowerDork
2/24/13 9:41 a.m.

You may want to ask a mod to move this into the general forum.

But, I wouldn't go looking for a pristine example of either car to turn into a track rat. Aside from the possibility of putting it in the wall, it will get nailed with chunks of rubber, grit/rocks picked up by cars in front, etc.

However, there is nothing wrong with wanting something that is at least presentable. I don't like driving crappy cars.

I've owned a few E30s, so I went with a Miata because it was lighter, better suspension and convertible. Being on track with the top down is a blast and since it's a '90, it's cheap enough that if I hurt it too bad I'm not going to be TOO upset, and I'll be able to pull off the good parts to put on the next one.

Or turn it in to an Exocet.

A pic of my track rat.

Photobucket

oldtin
oldtin UltraDork
2/24/13 10:21 a.m.

E36s - even the m3s are at the bottom of their depreciation curve - have a better suspension than an e30 and have a roof (personally consider that a positive for a track car) and can move without a lot of mods.

NA6_MSM
NA6_MSM New Reader
2/24/13 10:41 a.m.

It depends a lot on how tall you are, fitting under the rollbar in a miata is a problem for a lot of folks (myself included)

z31maniac
z31maniac PowerDork
2/24/13 11:29 a.m.

As someone who has owned both, there really isn't a difference in maintenance parts.

Some stuff is pricier, some stuff is cheaper. For instance I could buy rotors and pads for the E30 for $350. I've got the NB sport brakes on my miata, so rotors and Carbotech's are closer to $500.

dooodstevenn
dooodstevenn New Reader
2/24/13 2:56 p.m.

Parts for both are readily available even in the junk yards around my area. I'm just stuck between the nimble-ness of a miata vs the looks of an e30. I do want a really nice e30, but then again like mentioned above, it would probably get dinged up and what not. My dilemma is pretty much: Nice e30 but always worrying about it on track days, or decent NA miata but not being able to walk out of the door and thinking "damn that's a nice car"

My original plan was to get the miata and make it a semi-dedicated track car that was still street legal, so seat, harness, wheel, no interrior, roll bar, etc. But my friend turned me onto the e30 and it just looks so damn good when it's done up and repainted and what not.

dooodstevenn
dooodstevenn New Reader
2/24/13 2:57 p.m.

In reply to Darksider203:

I really do like the NB, but the start up price is a little too high for me compared to the NA 1.8

dooodstevenn
dooodstevenn New Reader
2/24/13 3:42 p.m.

In reply to Darksider203:

If only i had the spare cash to do that...I'm in southern california and seems to me everyone has priced up their miatas, I can't find anything around 1500, more like 3000 for a running decent running 1.8 NA. I have found one 1.8 NA with body damage for 2200 though. Also it's really hard to find 1.8 NA's they seem to have disappeared. All i can find are 1.6's and NB's

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker MegaDork
2/24/13 3:57 p.m.
dooodstevenn wrote: I need something I can load up with wheels, tools, pads, etc. and drive out to the track, drive it like hell, then come back home

This is not a Miata unless you pull a trailer behind it.

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
2/24/13 4:04 p.m.

In reply to dooodstevenn:

I haven't seen an NA Miata worth having out here (Northern NV/NorCal) for the sort of price you're talking about in the last 2-3 years. From what I've seen you're looking at least at $3k-$4k for a decent one, with nice M-Editions going for even more. The same goes for e30s, if you want a nice 325is (I'd start with that or a 318is) you'll have to put another couple of grand on top.

Out here there seem to be two kinds of e30s, expensive ones and ratty ones. I'm not sure I'd want a ratty mega-miler and from what you wrote, you don't want one either.

dooodstevenn
dooodstevenn New Reader
2/24/13 4:27 p.m.
BoxheadTim wrote: In reply to dooodstevenn: I haven't seen an NA Miata worth having out here (Northern NV/NorCal) for the sort of price you're talking about in the last 2-3 years. From what I've seen you're looking at least at $3k-$4k for a decent one, with nice M-Editions going for even more. The same goes for e30s, if you want a nice 325is (I'd start with that or a 318is) you'll have to put another couple of grand on top. Out here there seem to be two kinds of e30s, expensive ones and ratty ones. I'm not sure I'd want a ratty mega-miler and from what you wrote, you don't want one either.

Yeah, I dont understand why they're priced so high. I guess everyone is trying to cash in from people who want to race them? I have found a few decent e30's out there for 3k give or take. Seems it's easier to get a well priced decent e30 in my area than a well priced decent miata.

Also made a good point that I would have to tow a trailer to go to the track.

BoxheadTim
2/24/13 4:38 p.m.

If you think Miatas are expensive, you don't want to look at the prices of 240sxs or AE86s...

They're on the verge of becoming a classic car and 1.8L NAs are the ones everybody wants, but they didn't sell that many of them.

TBH I'd forget about the 1.8 requirements if I were looking for another Miata and just buy the best 1.6 or 1.8 I could find. Unless you start boosting the engine and all that, stock against stock the 1.6 and 1.8 aren't so different in performance that you absolutely have to have one over the other.

dooodstevenn
dooodstevenn New Reader
2/24/13 4:50 p.m.

In reply to BoxheadTim:

I would boost which is why i wanted the 1.8 with the stronger rear end. I've been reading the 1.6 diff tends to fail sometimes even under stock power but driven hard.

BoxheadTim
2/24/13 5:27 p.m.

I've had a couple of 1.6s and haven't managed to blow up the diff. I must be driving too slowly .

Miatas are like Lego, you can always drop the 1.8 drivetrain into a 1.6. I'd buy the best condition one that you can find so you don't have to throw paint and bodywork at it. Cheaper to put in a different engine and diff.

dooodstevenn
dooodstevenn New Reader
2/24/13 5:43 p.m.

In reply to BoxheadTim:

Isn't swapping the 1.8 torsen diff into the 1.6 kind of a pain? I didn't do too much research but i did come up that there are 3 or 4 parts you have to swap then put in the torsen diff.

BoxheadTim
2/24/13 5:57 p.m.

It's really easy if you get all the parts. It's a pain if you don't . I got lucky in the sense that when I did it, the diff was complete with carrier and everything so it was a really easy job.

dooodstevenn
dooodstevenn New Reader
2/24/13 6:22 p.m.

Oh okay, if you don't mind me asking. Could you PM me how much the parts were?

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/24/13 6:23 p.m.

Yeah, the rear end swap is simple. Just change the diff, driveshaft and halfshafts. It all bolts together. But it'll typically cost you a grand*, so take that into consideration when you're looking at cars to buy. The 1.6 rear can indeed be destroyed with a stock rear end if you're not a terribly mechanically empathetic individual. Or you can keep one together with turbo power.

This is the time of year to buy convertibles - outside California. Look around and take a road trip. These cars cost money because you're not the only one looking for them!

• yes, we all know the stories about finding a Torsen for $37 etc, but unless you get lucky the going rate is around $800-1000.
dooodstevenn
dooodstevenn New Reader
2/24/13 6:57 p.m.

I'll make note of it. At this point i'm leaning e30. Also the fact that an e30 will stand out among the crowd is a real plus to me. I like to be different But in the end, I think i'll end up getting whatever I can find in good shape and for a good price, whatever it may be.

BoxheadTim
2/24/13 8:22 p.m.

Forgot to ask - have you driven both? The "feel" is very different between the two of them. I personally - as someone who owns a 1.8 Miata and an E30, albeit a 325ix - prefer the way the Miata feels when driven hard, even though the BMW is a much more practical car.

dooodstevenn
dooodstevenn New Reader
2/24/13 8:33 p.m.

In reply to BoxheadTim:

I have not, but i really should. I think that would be the ultimate deciding factor, and the cons of each could be compensated for.

BoxheadTim
2/24/13 8:47 p.m.

I would really do that first, and I would also look at both the e36 318ti and the larger engined e36 variants for a track car. They're simply a few years younger than an e30 and might be in better shape without too much restoration work.

psteav
psteav GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
2/24/13 9:17 p.m.

I hate to be the guy who responds with "C" when someone asks if they should go with "A" or "B", but...have you considered a Civic hatch?

-Space for tools and tires without a trailer -cheapest consumables out there -easy and cheap used upgrades (including cages, which you're gonna need) -Cheaper buy-in than either a Miata or E30 in comparable condition

I own a Miata, and I love it. However, fitting in one with a track-legal rollbar is a pain if you're much taller than 5' 10" (although there are workarounds for that.

-E30's are great, but they're getting scarce. The guy who suggested an E36 might be on to something.

z31maniac
z31maniac PowerDork
2/24/13 9:26 p.m.

I've even owned a swapped E30 putting down 240whp.

I'll still take the low HP Miata. I love both cars, but driven in anger, the Miata wins.

It sounds like you need to determine your priorities.

irish44j
irish44j UltraDork
2/24/13 10:28 p.m.
Darksider203 wrote: The miata is less expensive, with more parts available.

say what? e30s can be found all day in good running and ok cosmetic condition for $2k or so, and less if you get an ETA or M10 car. I never see decent Miatas anywhere near that, at least not in this area.

Parts available? Perhaps, but that's mostly because the Miata has more aftermarket than most any car out there. As aftermarket and OEM/OEM-replacement parts go, it is DAMN easy to find e30 stuff, and it is DAMN inexpensive for the most part.

Plus it's simple to find e30s in pick-n-pull yards for replacement parts, engines, transmissions, etc. Miatas, not so much.

No question the Miata is a superior track car in terms of performance, but the e30 is simple to work on, parts are cheap, and the cars are cheap.

1 2 3 ... 9

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
0Sl9zRl3rp52TNxUrA1T9ANWi0f3XBdPxqz2XxbPYJIPGHScdyMeAbi3q3wbLbwO