1 ... 7 8 9
irish44j
irish44j UltraDork
2/25/13 10:48 p.m.

unfortunately, the "grown up" e30 form (e30tech) you have to get "accepted" to by the admins, and they literally never let any new members in these days it seems. Too bad, because it was a great forum with great tech info, but now a lot of it is getting stale with no new blood in there.

r3v is pretty good as long as you stay out of general discussion areas and stick to the technical subforums, at least in my experience.

M42club is a good e30 forum too, but mostly oriented toward the 4-cyl cars, obviously.

dooodstevenn
dooodstevenn New Reader
2/25/13 11:04 p.m.

Well... my situation changed, and I guess I'll just add to this.

So...my father is in need of a fuel efficient DD since he drives 40 miles one way to work and 40 miles back and gas prices are really killing him. Through lots of discussion he will most likely be taking my DD and now I have about 10k to get a fun AND reliable DD. Any thoughts?

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
2/25/13 11:05 p.m.

Nb miata for 6k, put the balance in pimpy suspension parts.

Tom Suddard
Tom Suddard GRM+ Memberand Intern
2/25/13 11:14 p.m.

Or a body kit

Tom Suddard
Tom Suddard GRM+ Memberand Intern
2/25/13 11:14 p.m.

Seriously though, WRX

dooodstevenn
dooodstevenn New Reader
2/25/13 11:16 p.m.

Im brainstorming with a buddy of mine too and we thought of a NB miata with suspesion and a WRX too.

Room worries me on the miata.

Tires worry me on the WRX.

Beer Baron
Beer Baron PowerDork
2/26/13 2:21 a.m.
dooodstevenn wrote: Well... my situation changed, and I guess I'll just add to this. So...my father is in need of a fuel efficient DD since he drives 40 miles one way to work and 40 miles back and gas prices are really killing him. Through lots of discussion he will most likely be taking my DD and now I have about 10k to get a fun AND reliable DD. Any thoughts?

E36 M3. <- Car, not crap.

How practical does it have to be? How efficient? Is FWD ok? Umm... Miata, S2000, E36, RSX/Integra/Civic, SVT Focus, 2nd gen. MR2, Mustang GT

dooodstevenn
dooodstevenn New Reader
2/26/13 2:38 a.m.

In reply to Beer Baron:

also been checking out an e36 m3. I'd like around 20 MPG, but more is better. Prefer it to be RWD or AWD.

Beer Baron
Beer Baron PowerDork
2/26/13 2:57 a.m.
dooodstevenn wrote: In reply to Beer Baron: also been checking out an e36 m3. I'd like around 20 MPG, but more is better. Prefer it to be RWD or AWD.

I had a '99 M Coupe (same powertrain) and that got ~18city/26hwy

ruthgirl
ruthgirl
2/26/13 4:34 a.m.

Hi there, if you're looking for a car you can try this. Honda says its newly-developed method of welding aluminum and steel together will allow it to make more light-weight vehicles. It will even increase the fuel efficiency of the automobiles. You can figure outhow to purchase brand new car that works for you.

nicksta43
nicksta43 Dork
2/26/13 5:28 a.m.

Honda powered canoe

Bobzilla
Bobzilla UltraDork
2/26/13 7:46 a.m.

Seriously Tommy... how can you bear to look at your car without a hella-tyte body kit, 14 degrees of negative camber, 175 width tires on 9" wheels? Seriously dood.... you need to man up.

/sarcasm. Is not a BMW fan, but I do like tommy's car.

mazdeuce
mazdeuce Dork
2/26/13 7:56 a.m.

It also makes sense to look around you and see if there are fullish grids in the class your car will run in if you move up from track days to actual racing. I have to say, that's one area where the Miata excels. I'm not sure there is anywhere in the country where you can't find a bunch of other miatas to race against.

Bobzilla
Bobzilla UltraDork
2/26/13 8:00 a.m.

Spec Pinata is a popular class.

Tom_Spangler
Tom_Spangler GRM+ Memberand Dork
2/26/13 8:09 a.m.
nicksta43 wrote: Honda powered canoe

Seems somehow appropriate for this thread.

yamaha
yamaha SuperDork
2/26/13 10:11 a.m.

The E36 M3 pwns this thread, followed closely by the E30.

I still believe that a e36 325is or 328 with just suspension, brakes, and rolling stock would work well for what he wants.

Oh and Tom, E36 M3s weak bro

oldtin
oldtin UltraDork
2/26/13 10:20 a.m.
dooodstevenn wrote: Well... my situation changed, and I guess I'll just add to this. So...my father is in need of a fuel efficient DD since he drives 40 miles one way to work and 40 miles back and gas prices are really killing him. Through lots of discussion he will most likely be taking my DD and now I have about 10k to get a fun AND reliable DD. Any thoughts?

That changes things. Go find the most unmolested, nicest, e36 m3 or s2000 you can lay your hands on. If you want to live dangerously go find a scruffy 911. Actually you could get a nice 951 and have a fair bit of spare change left over or that's in boxster range. If you're not mechanically inclined, ignore the P car thoughts. Paying someone to fix them will kill you.

Ian F
Ian F PowerDork
2/26/13 12:11 p.m.
mazdeuce wrote: I should buy a boat.

...or waders...

yamaha
yamaha SuperDork
2/26/13 12:13 p.m.
Ian F wrote:
mazdeuce wrote: I should buy a boat.
...or waders...

Or knickers....