bigmackloud
bigmackloud Reader
9/10/15 11:18 a.m.

What do you guys use for track day car numbers? My Miata had numbers permenantly affixed so I never gave it any thought. But with the Corvette, I'd like something removable. And I can't use the magnetic kind.

I came across this vendor for car lot stickers. At $3.35/dozen (per number) for the 7.5" economy black/white, even if you can't reuse them, that's still super cheap. They claim weatherproof and easy on/off. Anybody used them? My only concern would be if they stick at 120+mph and any residue. http://www.karkare.com/products.html?cat=Windshield&subcat=Numbers+%26+Letters

I also came across Solotime. If you needed 4 of their 8" reuseable vinyl stickers, it would be $18. Still fairly cheap. I'm just curious how well they hold up to being taken on/off; like stretching? http://www.soloperformance.com/Solotime-8-Inch-Reusable-Vinyl-LetterNumber-_p_1394.html

Any ways, just curious what you guys use. (beyond painters tape or shoe polish)

Tyler H
Tyler H GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
9/10/15 11:20 a.m.

I have a menagerie of magnetic numbers I've gotten over the years from izoomgraphics.com. They're marginal for track use anyway. I like the reusable vinyl, but make sure you stick it back to the correct side of the backing paper after you're done.

They're not stretchy, but the number will absolutely not peel back off the wrong side of the paper.

G_Body_Man
G_Body_Man Dork
9/10/15 11:28 a.m.

I'd just go to your local sign maker, and ask if they can cut numbers out of vinyl for you. 99% of the time, you'll get nice big numbers made out of automotive grade vinyl for not too much $.

Spoolpigeon
Spoolpigeon UberDork
9/10/15 11:47 a.m.

Autocrossmagnets.com

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/10/15 12:05 p.m.

I used this:

Then this:

Ya I am no help am I.

NickD
NickD New Reader
9/10/15 12:37 p.m.

I use masking tape like a total plebeian

Apexcarver
Apexcarver PowerDork
9/10/15 1:47 p.m.

http://www.soloperformance.com/

codrus
codrus GRM+ Memberand Dork
9/10/15 6:05 p.m.

I made my own magnet ones. Sheets of square magnetic material are cheap, print out the numbers nice and big using Word, trace onto magnet sheet, apply scissors, done. I've never had a problem with them blowing off, either.

Are Corvette doors fiberglass?

wbjones
wbjones MegaDork
9/10/15 7:04 p.m.

yes … as is the entire body… hence the "I can't use magnets" in the OP

Knurled
Knurled GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
9/10/15 7:16 p.m.

I used to make numbers out of manetic sheet from the arts and crafts store, and the magnetic material sucked and curled up easily and such...

Then there was an intermediate step, and then I bought some magnetic sheet from McMaster-Carr on the advice of wae and that stuff is AWESOME.

The intermediate step is, I was printing out numbers with my inkjet printer on adhesive paper bought from the office supply store (like $12 for 20 sheets or something) and using them one time only. Worked well enough, although a little hokey. Peels off easily enough same-day, not so much if you leave it on for a few months.

westsidetalon
westsidetalon Reader
9/10/15 7:50 p.m.

Im gonna try stencils and plastic dip soon

codrus
codrus GRM+ Memberand Dork
9/10/15 10:04 p.m.
wbjones wrote: yes … as is the entire body… hence the "I can't use magnets" in the OP

I've never owned a Corvette -- I knew some of the parts were fiberglass, wasn't sure if it was the whole thing. :)

Jamey_from_Legal
Jamey_from_Legal Reader
9/11/15 12:49 p.m.

I see a lot of guys with the vinyl number-circles at the track, which are removable. I also see most of them have to put a strip of blue tape on the leading edge to keep them from getting peeled off by the wind on the straights.

I've used those vinyl single use adhesive-backed stickers quite a lot. I put them on the windows, not the paint. They stick, no problem at all. If you pull them off warm from the sun or a paint gun, no residue. If they do leave residue, it's just a citrus cleaner situation, no biggie.

My back-up plan (because I need numbers on all four sides of the car and sometimes I run out of stick-ons) is a set of 6-inch number stencils and a white glass paint marker. This looks especially grassroots, and has to be reapplied once a day if it's raining out. Only a small step above a bottle of that white nurse shoe polish.

P.S. that Kar Kare vendor has good pricing on the numbers, but the shipping is prohibitive for small orders.

I'm still looking for a steady vendor too. The one's I've been using are running me about $8 a weekend, which is too much!

wbjones
wbjones MegaDork
9/11/15 1:06 p.m.

it's easy enough to print off the numbers .. then just tape them on to the sides of the car … painters tape doesn't leave any residue … the numbers are very readable (which the organizations require) and stay on well, and are easily removed

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
9/11/15 8:19 p.m.
westsidetalon wrote: Im gonna try stencils and plastic dip soon

Brilliant!

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
W9iWMNoVy0HdunoWaLRqcu38MuAiukJEpz7FPJUyYs7HlqpJEdocChrMqxpuMpd6