Chris Tropea
Chris Tropea Associate Editor
7/6/24 12:00 p.m.
feature_image

We fixed the transmission in our Porsche Cayman for well under $100 and some time. Did it work?

[Fixing our Cayman’s gearbox for thousands less than the dealer quote]

Better yet, with six working gears, is it fast?

We took it to the official test track of Grassroots Motorsports, the Florida International Rally & Motorsport Park, to find out.

Read the rest of the story

Msterbee
Msterbee Reader
7/6/24 2:27 p.m.

Tom, you probably used up the collective GRM good luck for the rest of the year.  Possibly next year too... frown

Msterbee
Msterbee Reader
7/6/24 2:27 p.m.

Tom, you probably used up the collective GRM good luck for the rest of the year.  Possibly next year too... frown

Fair
Fair New Reader
7/6/24 5:48 p.m.

Good stuff, glad the trans fix went so well.

The difference going from stock alignment to one with camber plates is DRAMATIC on the Cayman chassis...

Get me the strut dimensions, install these camber plates, and you are going to drop some lap time! cool

kaybat
kaybat New Reader
7/6/24 6:11 p.m.

Tarrett LCA's!

CAinCA
CAinCA GRM+ Memberand Dork
7/6/24 9:03 p.m.

In reply to kaybat :

Rennline came out with a copy of the OEM GT3 arms they are about half the price of the Tarett arms. I wish they had been available when I was in the market. 

The good news is that you spent $20 to fix a $15k transmission.  The bad news is that now you're about to spend $2000 to get 2.5 degrees of camber that the car should have been able to dial in from the factory.  Welcome to modern Porsche ownership. 

CAinCA
7/7/24 9:50 a.m.

In reply to ShinnyGroove (Forum Supporter) :

The Rennline arms are *only* $850.  ;^)

docwyte
docwyte UltimaDork
7/7/24 9:59 a.m.

In reply to CAinCA :

Are the ball joints on the rennline arms any good?  That's where the OEM arms are really superior, they're far more durable than most of the aftermarket choices...

newold_m (Forum Supporter)
newold_m (Forum Supporter) Reader
7/7/24 12:01 p.m.

Short term can you use the slots on the factory shock towers to get some negative camber or does 981's don't have that? With my 987 I can get -1.2 degrees; not ideal but better than zero and takes minutes. 

CAinCA
7/7/24 1:37 p.m.

In reply to docwyte :

No idea. I bought the Tarett arms about a year before Rennline introduced theirs. 

dps214
dps214 SuperDork
7/7/24 5:49 p.m.

Having done control arms on mine, I kind of think camber plates are the way. Either one is only good for around 2.5* total (camber plates run out of room, control arms start adding bump steer and max out the tie rods eventually) but camber plates give better wheel and tire fitment and are a bit cheaper. Ultimately for 3*+ you end up with both but that's still a few steps away.

CAinCA
7/7/24 6:00 p.m.

I had camber plates on my GTI. They popped and rattled on anything but a freshly paved road. 

I installed control arms on my Cayman and they never made any noise at all. IMHO LCAs are better for that reason alone. I was running-2.6 in the front and it looked fine with stock sized wheels. 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
QwfMBdYcPkyDxB1gJCcWCT1gRFeEzRDWY9m3bE7oggUOFN70i1RLcOv5s05vpJXE