ebonyandivory
ebonyandivory Reader
9/16/12 8:05 p.m.

Land Rover, not the music...

Has anyone ever traded - even with a little cash involved - one vehicle for another of similar value?

I have a loaded '95 F150 Supercab Flareside 4x4 as a second vehicle and was wondering if I could trade for an equally valued (est. $2,500) Discovery?

I'm not so much asking if any of you guys want to do this, just if you've done something similar?

Actually wondering about a used car lot too. It'd be a win/win (I guess) because they may likely have bought the LR for pennies on the dollar that I would not be able to do at auction.

MrJoshua
MrJoshua PowerDork
9/16/12 8:18 p.m.

Anyone can buy a Disco for pennies on the dollar, often from used car lots.

Gearheadotaku
Gearheadotaku GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
9/16/12 9:47 p.m.

You're better off with the Ford.

curtis73
curtis73 GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
9/16/12 10:48 p.m.

I've done plenty of swaps. Me + CL = BFFs

One warning... most people list their trade as retail, or at least an inflated market value. As long as you know you're trading apples for apples, its fine. Its really easy to accept the "loss" when you're passionate about getting rid of your vehicle and passionate about getting what they're trading. Be the reasonable one and stick to your guns on values.

And for berkeley's sake, don't get a Disco. Ridiculously pathetic failure of an engine, and a Jatco tranny that is best used as a paper weight.... and try getting either one at a junkyard for less than $2000. We had one at the shop in 2010 with a bad engine and tranny. It was a 2005 with 32k on it, and we couldn't give it away for $1400. Seriously. They are worth more in scrap than they are as a vehicle.

Junkyard_Dog
Junkyard_Dog Dork
9/16/12 11:08 p.m.

Discos never had Jatcos. You're thinking Freelander. I've owned 3 Discos. There is a reason there was not a 4th.

windsordeluxe
windsordeluxe New Reader
9/17/12 8:51 a.m.

Not mine etc, but seems like the most honest description of a Disco: (bonus points for quite possibly being the first person to properly use the word endemic while describing a dead vehicle)

http://knoxville.craigslist.org/cto/3275175167.html

For sale: 1997 Land Rover Discovery Paper Weight. With it's 4,543 pounds of elegant design, any papers you put under this paper weight are sure to stay put.

Due to the nature of this item's elegant design, the seller cannot be responsible for miscellaneous fluids leaked upon the papers placed under it. Paper weight may also be used to scavenge parts for your Discovery I Land Rover (1997). This could be converted into a running Land Rover by tinkering with the throttle body some. There are several other problems endemic to Land Rover Disco 1s that you would also need to fix to make it a well-running Land Rover (head gasket, overheating, replacement of rubber hoses, etc.). I haven't started parting it out yet, so it still has all the parts. The problem areas are all generally engine/coolant leak related. If you're handy with a Rover, it shouldn't be hard to get running. I am only a little handy, and I gave up on her. **This paper weight comes with OEM factory installed Land Rover sun roofs, so dryness of papers placed inside the item cannot be guaranteed.

Respond by email or text/voicemail: 865-268-nine 3 five 7

Location: Maryville it's NOT ok to contact this poster with services or other commercial interests PostingID: 3275175167

alfadriver
alfadriver PowerDork
9/17/12 8:55 a.m.

Not one of these Discos? I'd much rather have it than a Land Rover version...

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/17/12 9:06 a.m.
Datsun1500 wrote: Ill buy a disco for $1,000 and trade ya

You beat me to it.

93EXCivic
93EXCivic MegaDork
9/17/12 9:10 a.m.

I would totally make that trade so that probably means you shouldn't.

Raze
Raze SuperDork
9/17/12 10:26 a.m.

In reply to ebonyandivory:

After reading your post, I kept wondering why you weren't getting 2 $1,000 running Discos and a 3rd $500 parts car in the trade...

ebonyandivory
ebonyandivory Reader
9/17/12 5:11 p.m.

Wow! I was really going crazy with the "get one, theyre tough as nails underneath" and "run, run, ruuuuuuuuun". This thread seals the deal for me, thank you guys!

I really love my truck and look at it longingly daily but the mileage was killing me and I cant afford to have two vehicles for myself. I know LR Disco mileage isn't great by any stretch but it's much better than my old truck plus the 4 doors really help.

I really want the solid axle 4x4, 4 door traits that make up the LR (I know XJ/ZJ, but I had three already). Hmmmmmm, not sure where to go now... But I wholeheartedly appreciate you all helping me not make a mistake!

Raze
Raze SuperDork
9/17/12 5:19 p.m.

XJ?

Tom Suddard
Tom Suddard GRM+ Memberand Intern
9/17/12 5:25 p.m.

Trooper?

ebonyandivory
ebonyandivory Reader
9/17/12 5:30 p.m.
Tom Suddard wrote: Trooper?

I do love Troopers actually. I suppose I could get used to an IFS 4x4. The LR Camel Trophy sucked me in I think...

Got any input on the whole trade thing? Thanks for the replies either way!

MrJoshua
MrJoshua PowerDork
9/17/12 6:06 p.m.

A Disco can be a hell of a cool looking super capable luxury vehicle that will go wherever you want it to. It can also be fairly reliable. It CANNOT be expected to be that way when bought from your average fill it with gas owner or car lot. You either buy one from a passionate owner who has fixed all of the common issues, or you buy one broken for almost nothing and fix all the common problems yourself. The big upside is the internet community is very good and the parts market is plentiful and reasonably priced.

ebonyandivory
ebonyandivory Reader
9/17/12 6:18 p.m.

In reply to MrJoshua:

If we are just talking about power seats failing, sunroof, windows, things like this, I'm ok with it. I like to work on vehicles and would take on these projects more or less happily.

However, If we're talking about engine electronics, frustrating running problems that will leave you stranded in the woods then I'm out. That and/or serious drivetrain issues.

It seems like the majority of issues are annoying but not the type that would send it away on a ramp truck semi-annually. Am I correct in this?

MrJoshua
MrJoshua PowerDork
9/17/12 6:36 p.m.

Head gaskets are a 100k mile wear item. If you replace them without cooking the motor first you should be fine. The front driveshaft should be rebuilt immediately or you risk a u joint failure and destruction of the transmission when you attempt to pole vault your Disco. The ABS sensors go bad and cause trouble lights. Window regulators wear out. The rear air suspension is prone to leaks. New rear bags and a knowledge of the pump system and attention to the leak spots gets you a versatile adjustable rear suspension and an onboard compressor. If that sounds like a giant PIA there are numerous spring conversions available. Mostly they will always get you there and back. Cruise a few Land Rover forums before looking and all the problems are thoroughly discussed with solution.

m4ff3w
m4ff3w GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
9/17/12 7:18 p.m.
Tom Suddard wrote: Trooper?

Montero > Trooper

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Mcz2KRe589XbYZ3iWTcw0KpYKSPHqFBFpJdNC03w7FekWTATq0o4POLsiDlBbQE7