1 2
Cousin_Eddie (Forum Supporter)
Cousin_Eddie (Forum Supporter) SuperDork
4/16/24 6:31 a.m.

Motive has several adapters for trailers. At first pass, it appears this might be the one you'd need for yours. 

https://www.motiveproducts.com/collections/adapters-1/products/adapters-adapters-classic-marine-universal-marine

If not, maybe one of the other trailer adapter they list is the right one. 

Floating Doc (Forum Supporter)
Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
4/16/24 6:49 a.m.

In reply to Cousin_Eddie (Forum Supporter) :

That looks like it would work. I spent a bunch of time looking at the options and wasn't sure what to choose.

That uncertainty, plus the wait time for delivery and the prospect of spending more money led me to try the other tool. 

4/25/24 11:42 a.m.

I'm up against a big problem with the leaf spring mounts on both sides of the trailer.

There's only one bolt holding it at the top between the two springs and it is rotating when the front or rear axle move independently of the other. See the witness marks. 

I ordered some replacements from McMaster Carr, supported the axles with a pair of jacks and replaced the fasteners on the driver's side, which has the most damage. 

I tightened the nut as much as I could with a breaker bar, lowered the rear jack, and it didn't shift. Then I raised the front axle an inch or so, and this.

Only remaining options are a pipe on the breaker bar or go at it with an impact. 

I figured I would ask for feedback first. 

Suggestions, before I take it to the trailer shop?

4/25/24 11:43 a.m.

I'm up against a big problem with the leaf spring mounts on both sides of the trailer.

There's only one bolt holding it at the top between the two springs and it is rotating when the front or rear axle move independently of the other. See the witness marks. 

I ordered some replacements from McMaster Carr, supported the axles with a pair of jacks and replaced the fasteners on the driver's side, which has the most damage. 

I tightened the nut as much as I could with a breaker bar, lowered the rear jack, and it didn't shift. Then I raised the front axle an inch or so, and this.

Only remaining options are a pipe on the breaker bar or go at it with an impact. 

I figured I would ask for feedback first. 

Suggestions, before I take it to the trailer shop?

DeadSkunk  (Warren)
DeadSkunk (Warren) MegaDork
4/25/24 12:44 p.m.

In reply to Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) :

I'm not sure I understand what your problem is.....that cast part is supposed to rock on the big center bolt. All dual axle trailers have that feature to equalize the loading on the axles as the tongue goes up and down. That part is called "equalizer" on the trailer parts websites.

4/25/24 12:48 p.m.

All the torque I could get with a four foot pipe wasn't enough. 

4/25/24 12:50 p.m.
DeadSkunk (Warren) said:

I'm not sure I understand what your problem is.....that cast part is supposed to rock on the big center bolt. All dual axle trailers have that feature to equalize the loading on the axles as the tongue goes up and down. That part is called "equalizer" on the trailer parts websites.

That makes sense, I guess the problem is that it seems to be rotating too far, hitting the bottom of the frame when it rotates. Maybe it will be less likely to over rotate with the new fasteners. 

Stampie
Stampie GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/25/24 12:55 p.m.

It's supposed to rotate around that bolt.  I looked on both of my trailers and that bolt is lower in relation to the frame.

DeadSkunk  (Warren)
4/25/24 12:56 p.m.

It shouldn't hit the frame if the trailer is level when hooked to the tow vehicle.

4/25/24 1:03 p.m.
DeadSkunk (Warren) said:

It shouldn't hit the frame if the trailer is level when hooked to the tow vehicle.

That's apparent, so possibly I'm just worrying too much about creeping over speed bumps, parking lot entrances, etc. 

4/25/24 11:03 p.m.

Revisiting the question about the shackles hitting the trailer frame; I discussed it with a friend and he suggested that the shackles are flipped over. He is experienced with jeeps and rock crawling, and that's something that occurs with leaf sprung jeeps. 

There are two additional bolts in the spring mount that appear to be there to stop the central bracket from over rotating. Despite that, the shackle is hitting the frame, and it's obviously not supposed to do that. 

Edit-none of the images that I can find show a shackle orientation different than this. I'm not going to be trying to flip them. 
Edit 2-they are known to flip, these are in the correct orientation. 
There's got to be another solution.

DeadSkunk  (Warren)
4/26/24 7:49 a.m.

Post photos of the other end of both springs. Just to see what's going on.

Read this......Troubleshooting Trailer Axle Equalizer that Touches Trailer Frame | etrailer.com

4/26/24 12:34 p.m.
Andy Hollis said:

Also, check the leaf springs.  The shackles are wear items, as are the bushings inside the springs eyes.

A reminder to myself from the first reply. Fits with the most recent post from Warren. 

4/26/24 12:52 p.m.

Replacement equalizer beams are $18 each from Trailex. Shackle assemblies are $37 each, including bushings.

I'll get more pictures from the trailer tonight after work.

Andy Hollis
Andy Hollis
4/26/24 4:54 p.m.

Make sure and get the correct shackles.  They come in different lengths.

You can pop off one of the nuts and look to see if you current ones are ovalled.  If so, the minimum measurement between the ovals is what you want for new.

And yes, I just checked my Trailex.  Yours are oriented correctly...up.

5/1/24 11:25 p.m.

I've ordered all of the wear parts for the suspension, bronze bushings, replacement equalizers, shackle straps and wet bolts (wet bolts have grease fittings for greasing the bushings).

While waiting for delivery, I covered the faded red reflective paint on the fenders. Since the fenders are the widest part of the trailer, I want them to be very visible. 

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
RiVQMvWaMfwo5cO1OI2CXYzg7pzffjY7OphGynFC1fuAO4wyUoAdrTNiG4ybpUZW