Bobzilla
Bobzilla UltimaDork
1/5/15 7:32 p.m.

Anyone have access to cheap 4L60E trans for a 2wd Silverado, 2003 vintage? Dad's is fubar'd. This time for good. Needs more hard parts than it's worth. I can get a reman unit for less than the parts it needs. So...... do I go used, rebuild THAT one? Or just pny up the cash and get a good reman with a warranty?

He's keeping the truck. It has 215k miles, engine is awesome, chassis is solid, body is beautiful. They're planning on keeping this for another 10 years plus.

Thoughts?

44Dwarf
44Dwarf UltraDork
1/5/15 7:46 p.m.

Burt Brown Racing Transmissions 776 Center St Ste 1, Ashtabula, OH 44004 (440) 997-5309

Give Burt a call he's the only trans guy I know that I'd use. Honest hard working guy.

Not a relative, not related in anyway.

Kenny_McCormic
Kenny_McCormic PowerDork
1/5/15 8:05 p.m.

Given those circumstances I'd buy a good core and have it beefed up on the rebuild.

Gearheadotaku
Gearheadotaku GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
1/5/15 8:06 p.m.

Buy a good reman with a warranty.

Bowtieoverdrives.com or jasper

Vigo
Vigo PowerDork
1/5/15 8:50 p.m.

Any trans shop worthy of the name has someone who can do a good rebuild on a 4l60. Back when i was doing them there were several upgrades we did as a matter of course just to make the units more reliable. It is possible to upgrade them as far as power handling but i think that's irrelevant for your dad.

I would honestly make the decision based solely on how easy i think it will be to get warranty work IF it has problems during the warranty period.

Bobzilla
Bobzilla UltimaDork
1/6/15 6:30 a.m.

Considering the shop I just left had TWO Jasper trans warranties 20 miles after install I think I'll pass on them. Any thoughts on monster trans?

Bobzilla
Bobzilla UltimaDork
1/6/15 6:34 a.m.

As for rebuilding the one in it..... We need more new hard parts than it's worth. Rear planetaries literally exploded. Rear shaft is destroyed. Front planetaries have gotten so hot they're now blue tinted. I'm looking at $7-900 in hard parts PLUS a TC. Remand are $1300 with a warranty.

patgizz
patgizz GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
1/6/15 7:40 a.m.

when i was shopping i checked all the forums and had enough info on monster to pass on them.

i wound up at a local shop with a 12/12000 warranty, and they've stood behind it.

when i was 2wd trans shopping i picked up a 23k mile 2003 silverado unit on ebay, from an ls1tech forum member 4 hours away who was not willing to ship so i snagged it for $250. so that may be an option, look near you for someone who won't ship, that usually keeps the price down.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
DKeJD0zZloaA0DFFGP5o2rzQXTpvQqQJ1n4tZEam7CluL36Hcrm2nuomGnvotYhZ