1 2
friedgreencorrado
friedgreencorrado New Reader
1/11/09 8:58 p.m.
RXBeetle wrote: I can get away with doing all the wrenching myself, cost's aren't that bad considering most of the Corrado parts are shared on other platforms. A little help from the VW community and a close relationship with the local parts stores helps too haha.

Yup, just keep remembering A2 in the front, and B3 in the rear. Hard to believe some corporate bean-counter's rules led to the best handling FWD car I've ever driven..

IMO (and IME) most of the problems Corrados have aren't really related to running gear, but to the fact that they were one of the first cars VW produced when they decided to go "upmarket". Power windows & sunroof, electrical locking system, etc. Also, a lot of attempts to build those luxury items with substandard parts (RXB, can you tell I've broken both door handles yet?). One that's been well cared for won't strand you, but you'll tear your hair out chasing down electrical gremlins...and then you finally get it livable, take it out to the mountains, and make that guy in the 944 wonder why he can't get you off his backside..

They're not for everybody, but they can be very rewarding cars to own. Over on vwvortex, I once said that owning one's like being in love with the `Party Girl'. Lotza pain and heartache, but when she decides it's your turn, you feel so satisfied you'll swear it was worth it.

And it doesn't hurt that they're so pretty to look at, even when they're not running...

Paul_VR6
Paul_VR6 New Reader
1/12/09 3:07 p.m.

They make great race cars, take out everything that stops working and they're pretty light.

Marjorie Suddard
Marjorie Suddard General Manager
1/12/09 3:33 p.m.
friedgreencorrado wrote:
Tim Suddard wrote: When these cars came out we did a program with VW, where we took them across the country and let people autocross them.
Tim, I vaguely recall reading about that series in the magazine (I didn't own one then, but was already a VW guy), but can't remember what it was called. Was that the one y'all tried to run for the Corrado Club of America? http://www.corrado-club.com/motorsports/

Nope, it was done directly with Volkswagen of America through our short-lived sanctioning body, CMC (the Council of Motorsports Clubs). They were called--get this--"Sportscar Extravaganza Weekends."

Sometimes I actually miss the '80s. Other times, not so much.

Margie

friedgreencorrado
1/12/09 6:43 p.m.
Marjorie Suddard wrote:
friedgreencorrado wrote:
Tim Suddard wrote: When these cars came out we did a program with VW, where we took them across the country and let people autocross them.
Tim, I vaguely recall reading about that series in the magazine (I didn't own one then, but was already a VW guy), but can't remember what it was called. Was that the one y'all tried to run for the Corrado Club of America? http://www.corrado-club.com/motorsports/
Nope, it was done directly with Volkswagen of America through our short-lived sanctioning body, CMC (the Council of Motorsports Clubs). They were called--get this--"Sportscar Extravaganza Weekends." Sometimes I actually miss the '80s. Other times, not so much. Margie

Thanks, Marjorie. I think the whole CMC thing was what I was remembering, but we're moving and I couldn't check the back issues (they're all packed up). Hey, it was just a little "battle scar".

I'm just getting back into the scene, and I'm amazed at what y'all have done with the magazine all this time I was away. I'm just picking it off the magazine rack (at a Kroger in Acworth, GA!) at the moment, but I'm re-subscribing as soon as I know what my new address is.

Heck, I'll probably get your new CM, as well. That Group 44 GT-6 rebuild is gorgeous (I may or may not own a street GT-6, but that's a different story..)

friedgreencorrado
1/12/09 7:10 p.m.
Paul_VR6 wrote: They make great race cars, take out everything that stops working and they're pretty light.

You ain't kiddin'. Have you seen what Bill Suloff (Bildon Motorsport) has done with Terry Coates' old SSA car?

http://de.youtube.com/results?search_query=bildon+motorsport+corrado&search_type=&aq=f

I used to race SCCA IT out of Barry Palmer Auto in Marietta, GA. His son Mikel (I think he's MikeyG60 on vwvortex, he's built a G60 with something like the 3rd best dyno run of an 8v G60 over there) and I briefly flirted with building a C for ITS. At the time, Speedsource's FC chassis RX-7s were king in SEDIV SCCA, and we thought a well prepped VR6 might knock them off their throne.

And then the SCCA put the E36 BMW 6-cyl into ITS. At least they did it before we blew the money welding the cage in..

Hmm...now that the E36 been moved to ITR, maybe it's time to rethink that decision...

Edited because I forgot to post the link..

Paul_VR6
Paul_VR6 New Reader
1/14/09 9:25 a.m.

Yep I've been talking with Bill for a few years now. It's just unfortunate there's isn't currently a good way to make a 12v VR6 make any power.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
f1i6m1gnDt3D4goTZsue6SsoyXHZRoezzZspNFTXmt8qqRinhj2pOPsifXUKAtNY