j_tso
j_tso HalfDork
8/12/22 6:24 p.m.

I'm interested to see what more they can do with this. CEO Toyoda is a real race enthusiast so it won't be for lack of his will.

Hydrogen combustion rolls H2O.

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
8/12/22 8:11 p.m.

In reply to j_tso :

Fwiw, it also makes NOx, no real idea if a catalyst could deal with that chemistry though. 

Caperix
Caperix New Reader
8/13/22 7:52 a.m.

Hydrogen combustion engines are a proven technology that is not talked about much.  BMW made 2 different generations of hydrogen 7 series with the v12 & Yamaha is now building a hydrogen boat engine.  I think it has a real place in the low co2 future.  From what I understand the engine itself needs very little modifications to run on hydrogen instead of gas.  I'm not anti ev, but I like anything that will keep combustion engines alive in the future.

STM317
STM317 PowerDork
8/13/22 8:00 a.m.

In reply to alfadriver :

The hydrogen engines in development where I work share a lot (in both principle and hardware) with natural gas engines (also super low NOx/PM production). I've yet to get my hands on a hydrogen example but it will happen in the next couple of years. The NG engines that I'm familiar with have achieved super low NOx with nothing but EGR and a big catalyst. With the hydrogen engine producing essentially zero HC, I can imagine the catalyst possibly being smaller, but the specific properties and robustness will be interesting to learn more about. If NOx ends up needing additional components to control, adding SCR seems like a well trodden path at this point, but I'd be surprised if they need to go to that extent.

Gearheadotaku (Forum Supporter)
Gearheadotaku (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
8/13/22 8:08 a.m.

I'd much rather see Hydrogen used in a combustion engine vs a fuel cell. Seems much less expensive.  Getting a distribution network in place for hydrogen is a big challenge. Also hydrogen doesn't  exist in a free state, it takes a lot of energy  to harvest it. 

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
8/13/22 9:00 a.m.

In reply to STM317 :

When you say super low, how low is that?  For SULEV30, the exhaust needs to be close to 0 most of the time. 

The SCR part isn't trivial, too. It *might* work, but I don't know. 

CNG is easy, but H2 is different. Just don't know. 

Nerd history, back in the late 90's, a cng car for us was the first to achieve PZEV, then we figured out how to do it with gasoline. 

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
8/13/22 9:11 a.m.

I'm always curious about the source of the hydrogen, and whether there is really a net gain by the time you factor in the energy-related cost of producing it.  I think it's generally produced from natural gas these days, which raises even more questions for me.

There are benefits to a nice clean fuel, no doubt.

j_tso
j_tso HalfDork
8/13/22 9:38 a.m.

In reply to Caperix :

I remember BMW's hydrogen V12 made about 200hp. Also Mazda did hydrogen rotaries that got a little over a 100hp. Looks like Toyota made it work by adding a lot of boost.

STM317
STM317 PowerDork
8/13/22 11:05 a.m.
alfadriver said:

In reply to STM317 :

When you say super low, how low is that?  For SULEV30, the exhaust needs to be close to 0 most of the time. 

The SCR part isn't trivial, too. It *might* work, but I don't know. 

CNG is easy, but H2 is different. Just don't know.

Current NG product has certified NOx emissions at the "Near zero" level below 0.02 g/bhp-hr (current regulation is 0.20 g/bhp-hr). Hydrogen combustion engines are being developed in conjunction with "next gen" NG product.

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa UltimaDork
8/13/22 11:09 a.m.
Gearheadotaku (Forum Supporter) said:

Also hydrogen doesn't  exist in a free state, it takes a lot of energy  to harvest it. 

Electrolysis of water + 

How Copake, New York, Fought and Then Accepted a Solar Farm - Bloomberg

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/13/22 1:41 p.m.
Streetwiseguy said:

I'm always curious about the source of the hydrogen, and whether there is really a net gain by the time you factor in the energy-related cost of producing it.  I think it's generally produced from natural gas these days, which raises even more questions for me.

There are benefits to a nice clean fuel, no doubt.

Storage is also difficult since the hydrogen not only must be stored under high pressure or at cryogenic temperatures, but can also diffuse right on through solid materials.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
qHeSXfFlUcJgC8vqEteLRobKnYbh952ys5JyfDfga3Gu09Q24XzpqVWUdoDO2Rwd