1 2 3 4
singleslammer
singleslammer SuperDork
11/6/14 11:09 p.m.

In reply to Vigo:

It was insight central if I remember right but I have seen no documentation so take it with a grain of salt. I WANT this to be true though. A gear change and my turbo setup would make this a 14 second 45 mpg corner carver

Spinout007
Spinout007 GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
11/7/14 8:59 p.m.

Lol this idea just reached up and slapped me in the forehead. I've been researching a low boost turbo setup for the Miata I'm hoping to start rebuilding next month for my wife. In my research I've come across a few threads with Keith talking about the Flying Miata Voodoo box. Seem's like the perfect answer for your fueling worries. And to boot there's one for sale on Miataturbo.net right now that I was considering but I'm holding on to that last 350 in my paypal account for any surprise expenses that come up with the motor install I'm doing on the SVX.

SOOOOOO take the temptation away would ya? http://www.miataturbo.net/miata-parts-sale-trade-5/fm-voodoo-box-81785/

Keith talks about it some in this thread; I have a feeling with a little wiring diagram comparison work you could make it work. https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/grm/looking-for-help-with-cheap-miata-turbo-kit/17869/page1/

chiodos
chiodos New Reader
11/7/14 9:39 p.m.

The voodoo box is the same principle as the fic the op is planning on using. It just extends the injector pulse. Its not the end all be all

Flight Service
Flight Service MegaDork
11/8/14 9:34 a.m.
Spinout007 wrote: In reply to Flight Service: You didn't read the first page did you?

I didn't. But since there can only be 24 replies to the OP on the first page, I will say this
DO IT!
DO IT!
DO IT!
DO IT!
DO IT!
DO IT!
DO IT!
DO IT!
DO IT!
DO IT!
DO IT!
DO IT!
DO IT!
DO IT!
DO IT!
DO IT!
DO IT!
DO IT!
DO IT!
DO IT!
DO IT!
DO IT!
DO IT!
DO IT!

Foolishness aside, I like the idea of a turboed Insight. Honda's first Accord Hybrid used the motor as a supplement to performance and was way ahead of it's time, (Given the McClaren P1 and Porsche 918 production cars) they just put it in an Accord. Might have worked better in an Acura.

I seriously say do it and find a software hack for the electric motor too. That way everything lites up when you mash the throttle to the floor.

singleslammer
singleslammer SuperDork
11/8/14 9:45 a.m.

I am not messing with the electronic portion any time soon. Too much stuff outside of my understanding.

GVX19
GVX19 Reader
11/8/14 5:27 p.m.

I would use a K03 they can be had used and new cheep. I can tell you for a fact on a 1.1L eng it will make more than 20 psi.

singleslammer
singleslammer SuperDork
11/10/14 9:43 a.m.

The turbo came in and wow is this a tiny little guy. I will try and snap a picture tonight but it is pretty close to fitting entirely in my hand. Awesome note. If you blow into the exhaust side, it will spin the compressor wheel. I am going to be making boost off idle with this thing.

singleslammer
singleslammer SuperDork
11/10/14 11:00 p.m.

Spinout007
11/11/14 6:58 p.m.

Dude the wastegate is bigger than the turbo itself!

singleslammer
singleslammer SuperDork
11/11/14 8:15 p.m.

The wastegate is too big to fit in the inlet, for sure.

T.J.
T.J. PowerDork
11/11/14 8:35 p.m.

I've seen bigger turbos on lawnmowers!

Spinout007
11/11/14 8:55 p.m.

In reply to T.J.: Thanks man, I REALLY needed that laugh. Just glad I wasn't drinking something when I saw it!

singleslammer
singleslammer SuperDork
11/11/14 9:42 p.m.

That is nuts!

Also find a killer deal on the AEM FIC through Amazon. It will be here Friday. Just need the parts to make the patch and the fun begins.

Spinout007
11/11/14 10:09 p.m.

315 prime? Yeah I saw it too

Supposedly the guys that make the boomslang harnesses can make a plug and play kit for the miata for 70ish. Might be worth an email or phone call to see what they can do for you.

Edit: Holy crap that's what I get for quoting old forum posts! Current miata harness price is 249. That option is off the table for me.

MrChaos
MrChaos GRM+ Memberand Reader
11/11/14 10:24 p.m.

So how dangerous is a turbo'd push mower?

Vigo
Vigo PowerDork
11/12/14 9:51 p.m.

The FIC can do a LOT more than extend pulsewidths. It can shorten them (which means rescale for larger injectors) or use its internal drivers to run EXTRA injectors, it can clamp 5v sensor signals (i.e. map clamp/missing link), modify 0-5v signals, do o2 signal offsetting (trick your engine into running different AFR while maintaining normal fuel trims), retard ignition timing, control external stuff like meth or nitrous..

FIC is properly badass for a piggy back.

T.J.
T.J. PowerDork
11/12/14 10:35 p.m.
MrChaos wrote: So how dangerous is a turbo'd push mower?

Depends on if you are talking danger to the grass, the operator, or bystanders.

singleslammer
singleslammer SuperDork
11/12/14 10:59 p.m.

Yep, the 315 shipped on amazon. Gets here Friday. Now I just need a patch harness.

MrChaos
MrChaos GRM+ Memberand Reader
11/12/14 11:02 p.m.
T.J. wrote:
MrChaos wrote: So how dangerous is a turbo'd push mower?
Depends on if you are talking danger to the grass, the operator, or bystanders.

I assume more dangerous to the later 2.

singleslammer
singleslammer SuperDork
11/15/14 9:35 p.m.

The last major part was ordered today. An Insight ECU and Harness are on their way. Then the wiring fun can begin.

singleslammer
singleslammer SuperDork
11/18/14 9:39 p.m.

Harness bits came in, looks like I might start making the patch harness tomorrow.

Spinout007
12/8/14 8:09 a.m.

updates?

singleslammer
singleslammer SuperDork
12/8/14 8:51 a.m.

Busy with life, started making a harness though. Tore down the ecu and have soldered a few connections. The only parts still needed are the hard pipes and water and oil lines and fitting.

Spinout007
12/8/14 2:11 p.m.

Understand on life getting in the way.... Good stuff, keep at when you can. I can't wait to see how this turns out!

singleslammer
singleslammer UltraDork
12/11/14 8:42 p.m.

Got in a bit more soldering done. This E36 M3 is tedious... I have any least 4 more hours of soldering left and then I have to install the AEM into the patch harness

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
PqmWzJXhpyx6ui6hL8sMdsYxfacP49y9SMRu5f2BRR55Khea9BfwzgKFeeOW0jkt