1 2
SilverFleet
SilverFleet HalfDork
8/19/11 10:05 p.m.

Yep, it's everyone's favorite GRM forum game: What Car Should I Buy?

Bear with me guys and girls, this is kinda long.

Yeah, this time it's for me. My 2009 WRX is starting to turn into a rolling pile of crap with just 58,000 miles. Right now, the following is going on:

-Bad A/C compressor

-serious clutch issues, including whining throw-out bearing, creaking clutch, chattering clutch, and clicking clutch pedal

-broken glove box door

-12v outlets blowing fuses

-dashboard vents randomly falling out

-everything rattles

-wheel balance/suspension vibration that can't be fixed

-turbo buzzing noise under acceleration

-shifter rattle

The thing that sucks is that when I bought the car, it was supposed to have the Subaru Gold Plus 100,000mi bumper to bumper warranty, with a $0 deductible. Well, when I bought it in for service today, to my surprise, Subaru has me on file for a different warranty, possibly due to the shady nature of the dealer I bought it from, which has a rich history of pulling shady crap with customers. They started with the A/C compressor. That's going to cost me about $100 to get fixed, not the $0 I was expecting. The belt isn't covered, because they said it has to be cut off, which I think is BS. The clutch issues is where the nails were being driven into the coffin.

They said that there's definitely some issues there. They want to pull the intercooler, drop the exhaust, and drop the tranny to inspect the clutch. They said that it might be some linkage that needs to be lubed. If that's it, then I have to pay for the lube and the time it's in the service bay. If it's something more, then the deductible comes into play, and it only covers certain parts. So, essentially, this could cost me anywhere from $50 to thousands because they screwed up my warranty. They didn't even really look at the other stuff going on.

So... I'm thinking about just getting out of the car while I still can. But what should I get? Here's some requirements:

-I live in MA, and I have to drive in the snow. AWD is nice, but I may settle for FWD.

-It has to be fun to drive (obviously)

-Has to be a late model car I can make payments on (like 2008-up) with low mileage

-Good MPG's would be nice for a change

-No Toyota products please, not a fan of their stuff, and yes, I've had plenty of experience with them

-I like to row my own, but I'll settle for an auto if it's still "fun"

-around $22k and under please!

At the top of my list are the 2010-up Mazda3 S and the Honda Civic Si 4-door. Think stuff like that.

And no, I don't fit in Miatas.

92CelicaHalfTrac
92CelicaHalfTrac SuperDork
8/19/11 10:09 p.m.

An Evo.

Ok, Ok... seriously. What do you NEED in a car?

I agree that it's time to get out of this thing.

N Sperlo
N Sperlo Dork
8/19/11 10:11 p.m.

Aren't you supposed to name the cars that I pick from???

I was going to suggest the compressor, condenser, and lines become the next weight reduction process. If you were able to tear it up yourself, you probably would be, but since you have to pay for all that, I'll assume you are like me and cant afford that, I would say jump out now and hope the chute works.

SilverFleet
SilverFleet HalfDork
8/19/11 10:12 p.m.

Sorry guys, the computer tossed the thread up before I got that far, please see above!

92CelicaHalfTrac
8/19/11 10:15 p.m.

Can you swing a Mazdaspeed3?

What about a Mazdaspeed 6?

N Sperlo
N Sperlo Dork
8/19/11 10:17 p.m.
92CelicaHalfTrac wrote: Can you swing a Mazdaspeed3? What about a Mazdaspeed 6?

Thats where I was about to go...

EDIT:GET OUT OF MY HEAD!

SilverFleet
SilverFleet HalfDork
8/19/11 10:23 p.m.

I like the Mazdaspeed3's and 6's, but I question their long-term reliability. I drive about 70+ miles a day. Fellow GRM'er and close friend of mine MA$$HOLE had a 2008 ( I think) MS3 and it was awesome, but it did start to exhibit some issues. I know they have turbo issues, wonky PCV systems, and a few other troubles, and they aren't that great on gas. Not sure about the 2010+ MS3's, though, but I really dislike that weird red interior the have.

SilverFleet
SilverFleet HalfDork
8/19/11 10:27 p.m.

Another point: I need something that will be entertaining to drive, but not something I turn into a project car. I already have 2 '79 Trans Ams and a '87 Shelby CSX to play with. With my old 2002 WRX, it ended up taking over my life. It was a great car, but I spent way too much time modding it when I could have been messing with my other toys.

aussiesmg
aussiesmg SuperDork
8/19/11 10:40 p.m.

http://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/grm/another-appliance-thread-hyundai-content/34080/page1/

Osterkraut
Osterkraut SuperDork
8/19/11 10:41 p.m.

Lightly modified non-Camry WRX? Worked for me.

FlightService
FlightService Dork
8/19/11 11:07 p.m.

Boxster S with Zeintop

or

Miata

for the record I am 6'4" and I fit in a Miata...with a few mods

SilverFleet
SilverFleet HalfDork
8/19/11 11:10 p.m.
Osterkraut wrote: Lightly modified non-Camry WRX? Worked for me.

Been there, done that. I had a 2002 WRX wagon before this one. It was fun while it lasted. I want to try something else this time.

SilverFleet
SilverFleet HalfDork
8/19/11 11:12 p.m.
aussiesmg wrote: http://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/grm/another-appliance-thread-hyundai-content/34080/page1/

After the horrendous experience I had with my fiancee's old 2007 Elantra, I don't think I'll be looking at these.

SilverFleet
SilverFleet HalfDork
8/19/11 11:13 p.m.
FlightService wrote: Boxster S with Zeintop or Miata for the record I am 6'4" and I fit in a Miata...with a few mods

It's not just a height thing: I'm a big guy and my knees hit the steering wheel when I use the clutch. I tried!

CarRamRod
CarRamRod GRM+ Memberand New Reader
8/19/11 11:39 p.m.

E90 with AWD? Pretty sure you can get one for low 20s but IDK how low the mileage would be.

SilverFleet
SilverFleet HalfDork
8/20/11 5:40 a.m.

Ok... so after some browsing online, I found a 2010 MS3 with about 8k miles for just over $22k, and a 2009 Honda Civic Si sedan with the navigation system and 14,000 miles. That car is about the same price. Anyone on here have one of the new MS3's? I'm skeptical, but I really like my fiancee's 2010 Mazda3 i Touring, except for its lack of power. The additional 120hp from the MS3 should solve that.

On the other hand, I've never seen a Civic Si with factory nav, so that's kinda cool.

SilverFleet
SilverFleet HalfDork
8/20/11 5:42 a.m.
CarRamRod wrote: E90 with AWD? Pretty sure you can get one for low 20s but IDK how low the mileage would be.

I'm not buying anything German (or European for that matter) that's newer without a full warranty. Also been there, done that.

madeatdark
madeatdark New Reader
8/20/11 7:12 a.m.
SilverFleet wrote:
CarRamRod wrote: E90 with AWD? Pretty sure you can get one for low 20s but IDK how low the mileage would be.
I'm not buying anything German (or European for that matter) that's newer without a full warranty. Also been there, done that.

I was just about to suggest a GTI, the one that I had was great and a lot of fun to drive. I know it doesn't have your AWD req, but you might find an R32 in your range.

mndsm
mndsm SuperDork
8/20/11 8:03 a.m.
SilverFleet wrote: I like the Mazdaspeed3's and 6's, but I question their long-term reliability. I drive about 70+ miles a day. Fellow GRM'er and close friend of mine MA$$HOLE had a 2008 ( I think) MS3 and it was awesome, but it did start to exhibit some issues. I know they have turbo issues, wonky PCV systems, and a few other troubles, and they aren't that great on gas. Not sure about the 2010+ MS3's, though, but I really dislike that weird red interior the have.

Let me answer that, as I have DD's my 2007 ms3, before I decided that driving dirtbag cars was more fun. A- I have seen 30+MPG out of it, if you're off the boost. But oh my god is the boost fun. B- the turbo issues are sort of a myth. The only people that cook turbos are the ones that strap 3" downpipes to it, and try and run 20psi. Quite simply the BCS from the factory is not designed to keep up with boost changes at that level, you'll spike to 23lbs, and start popping seals. you REALLY shouldn't be pushing that kind of boost through it anyhow without an upgraded CDFP- but that's a whole 'nother story. Stock for stock, I have 50+k on mine and no turbo issues. And it's not stock. The PCV system is truly an issue with these cars, as my car is currently afflicted with it. Changing the valve is a bitch, because without the right special mazda tool- you need to pull the intake manifold. Noooooooooooo thanks. Other than that, it's been a blast. Fast as hell, comfy, plenty of room for swag and plunder, stealthy enough that if you dump the "Mazdaspeed" badge, you generally get left alone.

mndsm
mndsm SuperDork
8/20/11 8:05 a.m.
SilverFleet wrote: Ok... so after some browsing online, I found a 2010 MS3 with about 8k miles for just over $22k, and a 2009 Honda Civic Si sedan with the navigation system and 14,000 miles. That car is about the same price. Anyone on here have one of the new MS3's? I'm skeptical, but I really like my fiancee's 2010 Mazda3 i Touring, except for its lack of power. The additional 120hp from the MS3 should solve that. On the other hand, I've never seen a Civic Si with factory nav, so that's kinda cool.

2g cars are mechanically identical to 1g cars. Same engine, same turbo, same fuel, etc. Side by side, the 2010's are a little softer, so probably more comfortable for lady folk. Looks are DEFINITELY in the eye of the beholder.

SilverFleet
SilverFleet HalfDork
8/20/11 9:19 a.m.

My sister works in the business, and right now at the dealer she works at, she can pull in a 2010 MS3, a 2010 Mazda3 Grand Touring sedan, and a 2009 Civic Si Sedan with navigation. The MS3 and Civic Si are around $22k, and the Mazda3 is around $18k. Those prices are all before any deals she can get me. They are all pretty clean, one owner cars with very low mileage. The goal here is also to get something that's going to be cheaper per month than the WRX is, and I don't think that's going to be a problem. I'm especially interested in the Mazda3 sedan. If I can score it cheap, I'll save a ton on gas, but I'll lose the hatch utility, which I love. I may have to take some test drives.

SilverFleet
SilverFleet HalfDork
8/20/11 9:21 a.m.
madeatdark wrote:
SilverFleet wrote:
I was just about to suggest a GTI, the one that I had was great and a lot of fun to drive. I know it doesn't have your AWD req, but you might find an R32 in your range.

Against my better judgement, I looked at some GTI's this morning. There's no way in hell I'd buy a used one, so I looked at some new ones. They all cost more than my WRX did! When I say against my better judgment, it's because I had a 2002 Jetta a while ago that was a legendary turd.

FlightService
FlightService Dork
8/20/11 9:50 a.m.

In reply to SilverFleet:

LOL I had the same problem! I removed the drivers side arm rest. It helped, but I get it. My What Car Thread ended up at a X3 because I was tired of trying to fit in cars that I needed to mod to be comfortable.

I fit in the X3 well, with a little room to spare. The backseat passengers also have plenty of room.

And it has a stick!

I drove the Civic Si and found the brakes to be soft. Don't know if it was the car I drove, it had 60K on it at Carmax.

Other than that it was fun, made nice noises.

bequietanddrive
bequietanddrive New Reader
8/20/11 10:03 a.m.

How about something like this?

http://www.carmax.com/enus/view-car/default.html?AVi=17&id=7680250&N=4294967092+4294966259&D=90&zip=33781&pD=0&pI=0&pT=400&pC=200&pB=0&No=0&Ep=homepage:homepage%20Make&Rp=R&PP=20&sV=List&Us=4&CD=14+966+240+190+398+9&Q=8cddbe83-f9d3-4c68-bde1-01c05409a29b

or this?

http://www.carmax.com/enus/view-car/default.html?AVi=10&id=7763385&N=4294967092+4294966259&D=90&zip=33781&pD=0&pI=0&pT=400&pC=200&pB=0&No=0&Ep=homepage:homepage%20Make&Rp=R&PP=20&sV=List&Us=4&CD=14+966+240+190+398+9&Q=8cddbe83-f9d3-4c68-bde1-01c05409a29b

I bought mine "used" with 7k miles. Knock on wood, but it's been good for the last 10k miles.

Just wanted to throw those out there for you. You still have the 3yr/36k mile bumper to bumper and 5 year/60k mile powertrain warranty.

Plus, GTI's are made in Germany now, not Mexico

92CelicaHalfTrac
8/20/11 10:11 a.m.
SilverFleet wrote: Ok... so after some browsing online, I found a 2010 MS3 with about 8k miles for just over $22k, and a 2009 Honda Civic Si sedan with the navigation system and 14,000 miles. That car is about the same price. Anyone on here have one of the new MS3's? I'm skeptical, but I really like my fiancee's 2010 Mazda3 i Touring, except for its lack of power. The additional 120hp from the MS3 should solve that. On the other hand, I've never seen a Civic Si with factory nav, so that's kinda cool.

That wouldn't even be a choice worth thinking about for me. MS3 all day.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Y7koZd0h6lSoq82crSo1qxQEXhuKMG4uDfgbEDYgyk2iZ8p7zmras7WsbZIJ5QHI