CurryHurry
CurryHurry New Reader
12/2/14 5:24 p.m.

Long read ahead but important things are bold.

I have a huge problem with my W124 Diesel and was wondering if yall have any ideas. The car is a '87 300TD with a leaking injector pump. The leak can be seen where the pressure valve holders thread into the injector pump. I decided to fix this in an attempt to fix my terrible idle and get the car running better.

To fix the leak, I R&R the copper washers under each pressure valve holder and the rubber o-rings too. In addition, I replaced the main fuel filter and the pre-filter. Naturally, I introduced a bunch of air into the system.

From what I've read, air must be bled from the system by cranking the engine for 20 seconds at a time (allow sufficient time between cranks to charge the battery and let the starter cool).

I've diagnosed the problem up to the injector pump. I've got fuel going into the injector pump (visual check at each joint, i.e. make a mess) but nothing comes out!! The weird part is, if I crack the pressure valve holders, it shoots fuel out like a fountain. However, if hand tighten the holders just a little bit - no fuel! I'm talking about two fingers tight - no fuel!

I've done a few other tricks to coax the air out:

• Filled both filters with fuel.
  • Blocked up the return line. There is no fuel returning to the tank.
  • Bypassed fuel thermostat. It was leaking.
  • Checked for leaks. No leaks but where is the fuel going!?

Any ideas, y'all? This is very frustrating

ccrelan
ccrelan Reader
12/2/14 7:13 p.m.

I would put up a post here:

http://www.peachparts.com/shopforum/diesel-discussion/

Travis_K
Travis_K UberDork
12/2/14 7:59 p.m.

Are you talking about the part that the injector lines attach to on the pump? You may need a rebuilt or different used pump because I don't think you can get them in the proper place just by looking at them.

Kenny_McCormic
Kenny_McCormic PowerDork
12/2/14 9:17 p.m.

Maybe try running it on WD-40 shot in the intake till it primes itself?

CurryHurry
CurryHurry New Reader
12/23/14 12:20 p.m.

Thanks for the help y'all!

Its working gif

I was lucky enough to find a used replacement injector pump. After the long swap process, the car fired right up. I definitely messed up something internal to the old pump - I just wish I knew what I did wrong!

When cold, it runs very rough with no power and a lot of smoke (white smoke but not coolant) but runs very smoothly after it gets warmed up. In addition, there is a bit of knocking at idle (at any temperature) but it smooths right out above idle. I've yet to look into these problems, I'm just excited to be driving it again.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
CMLUnQHNGiFWHaIqIAvkO5lxdLxOPjJiupMLIq6aWZC9S7S096OSRkYmrwGUis1Y