1 2 3 4 ... 12
Kreb (Forum Supporter)
Kreb (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
8/21/23 12:08 p.m.
californiamilleghia
californiamilleghia UberDork
8/21/23 12:38 p.m.

The Devin body above had an early Corvette chassis under it at one time , the seller sold the chassis a few years ago , 

Nice thing about it , is that it was a running on the road car ar one time  , unlike most Devins.

GIRTHQUAKE
GIRTHQUAKE UltraDork
8/22/23 10:31 a.m.

I quietly but consistently look for kit cars on challenge budgets. I really shouldn't, but.

singleslammer
singleslammer PowerDork
8/22/23 10:48 a.m.

I do not need this in my threads but here I am posting in here anyway. You know, to torture myself.

stroker
stroker PowerDork
8/22/23 5:06 p.m.
singleslammer said:

I do not need this in my threads but here I am posting in here anyway. You know, to torture myself.

I'm not holding my breath on a half-finished GT40...

ToManyProjects
ToManyProjects Reader
8/22/23 10:26 p.m.
P3PPY
P3PPY GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
8/22/23 11:58 p.m.

In reply to lotusseven7 (Forum Supporter) :

Basically, I think what everyone is saying is that we would all like to take a field trip to your barns if you give tours. Where do we get the permission slips?

jwagner (Forum Supporter)
jwagner (Forum Supporter) HalfDork
8/23/23 12:50 a.m.

I had my Exocet on the road for four years and it wasn't finished.  I don't think a kit car is ever finished.

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/23/23 7:11 a.m.

This is so cool. 

So much want!!!  

The angle and size and shape of the windshield usually give away a kit car  this one I am not seeing that.

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
8/23/23 12:43 p.m.

Mercedes something - $2500.  Maybe if he had all the other fiberglass .....

Chris_V
Chris_V UberDork
8/23/23 1:16 p.m.
dean1484 said:

This is so cool. 

So much want!!!  

The angle and size and shape of the windshield usually give away a kit car  this one I am not seeing that.

Back in the mid '80s I built one of those. Finished it and drove it for a few years to advertise my fabrication shop. Then got a call to bring it down to LA to have it used on one of the last episodes of Max Headroom.

Still miss that car. It came back up for sale about 2009 and I tried to come up with the funds to buy it back, but it ended up going to the UK.

stroker
stroker PowerDork
8/23/23 10:26 p.m.

Manta Mirage (McLaren M6GT) Omaha $5K NMNA

This is pretty close to exactly why I started the thread...

EDIT:  Just realized he's got a slushbox in that--I wonder what transmission it is?  Porsche?

NY Nick
NY Nick GRM+ Memberand Dork
8/23/23 10:36 p.m.

In reply to stroker :

That is childhood dream stuff there!  

GIRTHQUAKE
GIRTHQUAKE UltraDork
8/24/23 12:19 a.m.

In reply to stroker :

OH. I could lay eyes on that.

gixxeropa
gixxeropa GRM+ Memberand Reader
8/24/23 9:37 a.m.

Is it bad that I kinda like kit cars where you can very obviously tell its a dressed up fiero or something? its fun imo. there's a testarossa for sale near me that's very obviously a C4 corvette with a body kit but I kind of want it

Woody (Forum Supportum)
Woody (Forum Supportum) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/28/23 2:20 p.m.

Unstarted CMC Widebody Speedster kit, $8,000. Not mine, etc...

CMC Widebody Speedster Kit for Sale. I purchased this back in 91 and it never worked out getting it done (or started for that matter) It’s a CMC wide body in Red in good condition (considering it’s been laying around for over 30 years). It should be 99% complete as far as parts aside from a broken windscreen (I have it, but the corner is broken). I also have a bunch of engine parts that will go with it. 2 cases (one had been bored for larger pistons) and a bunch of other parts (sheet metal, fans, oil cooler, heads, etc), plus a couple of things new that were for my build. No tranny or chassis. I’m moving out of state this year and sadly this will not be able to join me. Pictures to come (just need to clean things up a bit to get it out of a garage packed with crap). Located in Stamford CT.

boulder_dweeb
boulder_dweeb Reader
8/28/23 5:44 p.m.

UH....

The speedster guy wants $8000 'cuz that's what he has spent?

Somebody pleease tell him...Something is better than nuthin'

Just sayin...

VolvoHeretic
VolvoHeretic GRM+ Memberand Dork
8/28/23 9:06 p.m.

In reply to Woody (Forum Supportum) :

Some history on CMC.

Fiberclassics.org: Classic Motor Carriages Inc. History

Woody (Forum Supportum)
Woody (Forum Supportum) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/28/23 9:17 p.m.

In reply to VolvoHeretic :

Yikes!

VolvoHeretic
VolvoHeretic GRM+ Memberand Dork
8/28/23 11:03 p.m.

In reply to Woody (Forum Supportum) :

At first I thought Classic Motor Carriages was Classic Roadsters out of Fargo, ND. Their story isn't as criminal, but the end result was about the same... Bankruptcy.

TDreplica.com: CLASSIC ROADSTERS LTD. – HISTORY

Kreb (Forum Supporter)
Kreb (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
8/28/23 11:23 p.m.

It's a very hard business. Years ago a friend and I were very interested in buying a San Diego area company that was known for its Porsche 356 and 550 Spyder kits. The purchase price (Something like $35,000 if I recall) was very low considering that this company actually had something of a following and a decent reputation . 

Due diligence ultimately brought up the fact that most components were made in Mexico, and if we wanted the molds, jigs and such we'd have to get them from the subcontractors in Mexico - who hadn't been paid in a long while. It was clear that not only would one have to spend a lot more than 35k to get the company assets in hand, but that if one didn't handle it with a bit of delicacy it could be unhealthy as well.

kb58
kb58 UltraDork
8/28/23 11:44 p.m.

In reply to Kreb (Forum Supporter) :

Pretty sure I know the company you're speaking of (I live in the area). I spoke with the owner many years ago, about possibly being interested in buying a shell. I was put off by his "I don't need to sell these", as though it was supposed to motivate me to buy one. It didn't work.

californiamilleghia
californiamilleghia UberDork
8/29/23 1:56 p.m.
kb58 said:

In reply to Kreb (Forum Supporter) :

Pretty sure I know the company you're speaking of (I live in the area). I spoke with the owner many years ago, being possibly interested in buying a shell. I was put off by his "I don't need to sell these", as though it was supposed to motivate me to buy one. It didn't work.

Was that the same guy that did the Miami Vise Ferrari ?  Shop was in El Cajon , 

Lots of stories about him , he sold my friends car with the "business"  and  my friend had to deal with the new guys , but that all worked out eventually .

kb58
kb58 UltraDork
8/30/23 1:17 a.m.

Though not for sale, I've always dreamed putting something like this on the street, though with traffic around here, it would very frustrating!

triumph7
triumph7 HalfDork
8/30/23 9:52 a.m.

Well, no longer a kit car though it started out that way..... and, YIKES!  $74,000 to start!

https://www.topgear.com/car-news/electric/yikes-reborn-meyers-manx-ev-will-start-74k

1 2 3 4 ... 12

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
xgHwjS6XVHPqp4XxS8tmycxdt9kvpTy2wGPhmqBH0cqqnbJvdyGddOrF6w08ixbB