nocones
nocones GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
9/8/23 4:07 p.m.

I'm putting together the last parts for my Haltech Nexus R3 install in the LMP360.  I need a few sensors and figured we could probably make a thread for these.

I'm looking specifically for a decent universal 3 wire 0-5V 1/8 NPT fluid (oil in this case)  pressure sensor.   

There are Dozens on the Jungle retailer for $15-25 but I'm not sure about those. 

The "Good" ones seem to be about $70 (Honeywell) up to >$200 for things like Ashcroft ones.  

I'm sure this is a "get what you payfor" one but is there solutions in the $25-50 range that are worth something?

Does anyone know a OEM solution that is affordable?  My Subaru engines just use a switch so I don't have any oem ones available.  I do have a few aftermarket gauge ones but they are the 1 wire resistive type which I *could* wire into the Haltech but would rather use a proper grounded 3 wire sensor.

Same thing for 3 wire Temperature sensors?  The Subaru uses one OEM but I may want one for Oil temps.

I suspect the resources will be similar for all sensors so feel free to discuss other universal type inputs/outputs common for aftermarket ECUs.   

JoeTR6
JoeTR6 Dork
9/8/23 4:23 p.m.

For an oil pressure sensor, I used an AEM 0-5 volt 100 psi max sensor with 1/8"-27 NPT threads available from Summit for $69.95.  It's worked well for three years, at least.

adam525i
adam525i GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
9/8/23 7:04 p.m.
JoeTR6 said:

For an oil pressure sensor, I used an AEM 0-5 volt 100 psi max sensor with 1/8"27 NPT threads available from Summit for $69.95.  It's worked well for three years, at least.

I originally used some of the amazon low cost ones but eventually they failed, now I have the lower end AEM (brass) which has been solid for the past season. It used the same connector as the amazon special so that made it easy. For my BMW I was able to use a T that had a male metric thread that went into the head, a female metric thread to put the stock pressure switch back into and the 1/8" NPT for the aftermarket sensor out the side.

For temperature see what already has calibration tables in your tuning software and look into those to make life easy, hopefully you can get something that threads right in.

You haven't asked but if you want to datalog brake pressure this Bosch sensor was easy to T into a line off my master cylinder. I got mine off a BMW E46 iX (awd) which was super easy to pull in a u-pull yard, it's in the ABS module on the passenger side up by the cowling and only cost a few dollars and included the tail to wire it in. A number of other BMW X models, Audi's and Mercedes also use it. There are other Ate sensors that BMW E46's also have directly in their master cylinders so easier to find but I have not seen a calibration table for those.

nocones
nocones GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
9/8/23 7:14 p.m.

In reply to adam525i :

That's the kind of thing I'm wanting!  Pull this from that at the U-Pull.  

It seems most reviews on any sub $40 sensor are that way.  

These guys were recommended on the Speeduino FB group.  

Anyone have experience?  They do have some cost effective sensors at ~$40 for a pressure sensor that comes with unterminated terminals. 

RacingComputers
RacingComputers GRM+ Memberand Reader
9/8/23 7:19 p.m.

Motec has some decent sensors for reasonable prices/

Motec.com

adam525i
9/8/23 7:46 p.m.

I wouldn't be afraid of lowdollar motorsports, I like that the data and connectors are all right there. If the threads are right for your application it should be a good solution.

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/8/23 7:50 p.m.

I work on cars for a living, Chrysler has seen fit to make the 3.6 V6 oil cooler housing a failure prone item, every new one comes with a new oil temp and oil pressure sender.  I have many boxes of scavenged ones.  Three wire units, 1/4NPT and 1/8NPT, resistance curves are readily available.

I did two of them last week.

RacetruckRon
RacetruckRon GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
9/8/23 9:07 p.m.

Lowdoller is the go to in the LS/V8 and anything Holley controlled scene I know a few guys running their temp and pressure sensors, no issues.

MiniDave
MiniDave HalfDork
9/9/23 1:26 p.m.

In reply to adam525i :

Where did you get that T? I need one for my project!

adam525i
9/9/23 9:03 p.m.

In reply to MiniDave :

Amazon, this one works for the oil pressure port on an M30 (M12 x 1.5), you'll need to double check what you have.

M12 x 1.5 to 1/8 NPT

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
y0cQM7D6U9P3T8bjbtLWKXdFEPljDbAFx87rL9iyu21VjLH4jaj9TXVoyX9hyqVd