dyintorace
dyintorace GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
1/1/23 8:15 p.m.

I bought this from HF forever ago. It is (was) a great jack. Lightweight but sturdy and jacks to a very tall height.

It recently stopped working. I assume a seal (or seals) has gone bad. Is there a relatively simple rebuild process? New jacks aren't that expensive but I'd love to rehab this one instead of pitching it and buying new. Any advice?

Looks just like this:

matthewmcl
matthewmcl Dork
1/1/23 8:38 p.m.

Make sure the oil level inside is high enough, too. I had one stop after just a month, but all it needed was to be topped up.

nocones
nocones GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
1/1/23 8:48 p.m.

Mine intermittently will have one of the plungers no longer..  plunge.  Or I should say spring back from plunging.  This renders the jack hopelessly useluess until I pull the plunger appart and clean it.  I'm not sure where all the metal and dirt and crap that gets into the plunger comes from.  

Oapfu
Oapfu GRM+ Memberand Reader
1/2/23 12:55 a.m.
Floating Doc (Forum Supporter)
Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
1/2/23 2:05 a.m.

Mine is coming up on five years old, guess I should check the oil! It gets used four times per every event. 

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
1/2/23 8:12 a.m.

my old hammer store 1.5T aluminum jack only lifts with half a pump now, 9 years into ownership.I should probably clean it up and check the fluid. 

WonkoTheSane
WonkoTheSane GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
1/2/23 10:09 a.m.
bobzilla said:

my old hammer store 1.5T aluminum jack only lifts with half a pump now, 9 years into ownership.I should probably clean it up and check the fluid. 

It may just need bled if you haven't done that recently..

GhiaMonster
GhiaMonster HalfDork
1/2/23 10:13 a.m.

I did one of them in after trying to level a beam at a camp.  The plunger at the base of the handle stopped returning. Disassembly and fixing the rolled seal/ o-ring has it back in action.  This thoroughly reinforced my Jack stand usage. 

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
1/2/23 10:26 a.m.
WonkoTheSane said:
bobzilla said:

It may just need bled if you haven't done that recently..

never been done. 

slefain
slefain UltimaDork
1/2/23 11:05 a.m.

I was going to throw out my old floor jack until I bled it. Can't believe I didn't know how to do this:

https://knowhow.napaonline.com/floor-jack-wont-lift-heres-a-quick-fix/

WonkoTheSane
WonkoTheSane GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
1/2/23 1:15 p.m.

Here's a good video I found on filling & bleeding one.  If you search youtube for "bleed harbor freight jack" you'll get a bunch of different hits if your model varies too much from this to make sense of it:

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
1/2/23 3:36 p.m.

Yeah, I have that exact jack that I have had for 15 years (?).  I did have some pump up issues at one point.  Bleed it, and it was fine.  Probably should check that again at some point.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
J4D6IInNogIl4fHDf8dWhxNwL4dYUqxf5Rd2besKtrrAqlHKXjTO8JaXYWoxcD9X