Harvey
Harvey GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
3/5/15 12:15 p.m.

Bought a used Lincoln Navigator from this place about an hour from me that is a used car lot for higher end used cars. After going there I determined they are not much more than a wholesaler, but still they let me inspect the car pretty thoroughly on their lift so I can't complain too much as I knew what I was getting. The thing is when I was under there I found a leak from the AC compressor, which had obviously been there for a bit because the fluid coming out was dyed green, so we agreed they would fix that before I took the car.

I come get it and drive it home and about four or five days later the AC stops getting cold, conveniently on a nice hot summer day. I get under the truck and it's leaking from the AC compressor, pretty much in the same spot.

I called them up and they said they installed a used part that they thought was good, but that they will replace it with a new (refurb?) part to make it good. Again, can't complain too much except that they are a little over an hour up the road so it was inconvenient, but I felt like this was kinda dumb on their part. Who replaces a known failure part with a used version of said part?

I can understand remanufactured, but used? So, they had to pay their repair guy, who apparently works as his own business separate from them even though the garage is attached to their dealership, to do the work all over again with the new part. So, they are out double the labor because they gambled on a used part being acceptable.

JohnRW1621
JohnRW1621 UltimaDork
3/5/15 12:35 p.m.
Harvey wrote: Who replaces a known failure part with a used version of said part?

Someone trying to make a money. Lets face it, the car dealer needs to get the car on the lot as cheap as possible and then sell it off the lot as high as possible.
The lesson learned here is that when you found the issue, you should have asked for dollars off the selling price and then gotten the work done to fix it at a shop you trust. Instead, the dealership went with the quickest/cheapest fix.

I would bet that they never actually removed the item but rather just added more "leak-stop" in the hopes that would solve the issue.

Harvey
3/5/15 12:49 p.m.

You could be right about them not doing anything with it the first time. I checked the part after the second job and it at least looks like a new part and doesn't leak and it worked properly for the rest of the summer.

Do you really save money gambling like that if you're gonna turn around and do the right thing anyway if the wrong thing doesn't work out? I guess they must otherwise they would not try it.

I suppose it is a lesson learned that I should have just hit them with the cost of replacing that part rather than trusting them to do it.

spitfirebill
spitfirebill PowerDork
3/5/15 1:08 p.m.

If this vehicle is going to be a long term keeper, I would offer the pay the difference in a reman compressor and a brand new comprssor. i would also have them replace the drier.

bigdaddylee82
bigdaddylee82 Dork
3/5/15 1:21 p.m.

I've put used compressors on 2 different cars with success, and harvested the clutch off of another used compressor to replace the original. The used compressor lasted for years and until I didn't have the cars anymore. Still driving the car I swapped a used compressor clutch onto.

It's a gamble I know, but has paid off for me in the past.

belteshazzar
belteshazzar UberDork
3/5/15 1:23 p.m.

Here's how a used car dealer sees it. Trust me on the opinion, I am one...

When a car has a problem, you install the least expensive part you can reasonably believe will solve the problem. When you're done, it doesn't have a problem. Most of the time: End of story.

Sometimes it bites you. When it does, you do what you have to do to make it right with the customer. Sounds like these guys stepped up all the way. Statistically, the first decision will still make sense.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
3/5/15 1:37 p.m.

There are times when I would trust a good used part vs. a new Chinese parts store part.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
3/5/15 1:38 p.m.

There are times when I would trust a good used part vs. a new Chinese parts store part.

SEADave
SEADave Reader
3/5/15 2:03 p.m.

I just replaced the alternator in my BMW with an untested used part from the Pic N' Pull. It was either get a used genuine BMW alternator for $36 or trust the parts store's "spray and pray" rebuilt for $140. Sometimes you just have to trust that if the part was working fine on the parts car when it was junked it will work fine on your car. So far so good.

Harvey
3/5/15 3:15 p.m.

I think I would have been more comfortable with this if they had told me up front that they were going to use a used part, but they did make it right down the line.

Run_Away
Run_Away GRM+ Memberand Reader
3/5/15 3:26 p.m.
Appleseed wrote: There are times when I would trust a good used part vs. a new Chinese parts store part.

Absolutely this. I'd go as far to say MOST of the time.

Vigo
Vigo PowerDork
3/5/15 3:41 p.m.
I come get it and drive it home and about four or five days later the AC stops getting cold, conveniently on a nice hot summer day. I get under the truck and it's leaking from the AC compressor, pretty much in the same spot. I called them up and they said they installed a used part that they thought was good, but that they will replace it with a new (refurb?) part to make it good. Again, can't complain too much except

Eh, i would say shouldnt complain at all..

All parts on a used car are used parts. If you're ok with a used car you're ok with used parts. Car dealers are in it to make money, not to make used cars into new cars.

It sounds like they have been pretty good to you. If they are making money in spite of how courteous they are being to buyers like you, i would say they need to put what they're doing in a bottle and sell that too!

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
QXZv5sS4n6nL3YcjT3JflnLh17OnhSAPzASdEyIWsuv1n3bteeL2chcBikR8XTdI