Tom Suddard
Tom Suddard GRM+ Memberand Director of Marketing & Digital Assets
7/18/23 8:10 a.m.
feature_image

Can more speed be created out of thin air? As it turns out, the answer is yes—as long as you have a 3D printer. 

[A crash course in 3D printing | Making Stuff: Part 2]  

Fresh pads and rotors improved our Mk7 Volkswagen Golf GTI’s braking on track, but the car still cooked its brake pads after a few …

Read the rest of the story

Noddaz
Noddaz GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
7/18/23 8:49 a.m.

Interesting.  Making technology work for you.  

Those would probably fit on my 1997 Jetta also.  Hmmm....

Colin Wood
Colin Wood Associate Editor
7/18/23 10:50 a.m.
Noddaz said:

Interesting.  Making technology work for you.  

Exactly. Bonus points since the file Tom got was free.

Mk5jon
Mk5jon GRM+ Memberand New Reader
8/1/23 6:04 p.m.

Great experiment.  Here in the UK at least, the RS3 8V is supplied with brake ducts very very similar to what you've created and these ducts are quite universal and are a complete bolt on to mk7 golfs, I run them on a mk5 with a slight modification to make them fit but I've seen people run them on honda's with double a arm setup so they're pretty universal. They're pretty cheap too which is surprising! Do you get these over in the states or is this the reason you had to create your own? 

ThumperUSMC
ThumperUSMC New Reader
10/9/23 6:42 p.m.

That's fine if you're running VW...

Do you have anything for C5 Corvettes on brake ducting? Tried to see if there was anything on "Thingaverse" but they have nothing and no way to contact them. And no, it's not a Z06, but a Base C5 Convertible. Yes, I have modded a few things to make it pass with tech...

Any help?

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/9/23 7:06 p.m.

Thingiverse isn't a place that develops and designs, it's a repository of community submitted designs.  So you can't really contact them and request something.

We sell 3D printed duct inlets for Miatas. It's a great use of the technology.

Also, our shop ND V8 ran a set of printed prototype inlets that I slathered some fiberglass on to add extra strength. It survived several years of journalist abuse.

Turbo_Rev
Turbo_Rev Reader
10/9/23 9:33 p.m.

There's Shapeways and other services that will print for you but they charge a premium and don't design anything. You just upload an .stl and they give you a price. You can pull the trigger right then and there but it's spendy. Maybe a 2 week turnaround, depending on size and demand. 

fidelity101
fidelity101 UberDork
10/10/23 10:44 a.m.
Turbo_Rev said:

There's Shapeways and other services that will print for you but they charge a premium and don't design anything. You just upload an .stl and they give you a price. You can pull the trigger right then and there but it's spendy. Maybe a 2 week turnaround, depending on size and demand. 

"Tyranny is the deliberate removal of nuance” -Albert Maysles

lots of service bureaus out there, any many of them outsource it other ones. We prototype brake ducts all the time - allows us to change the design up until tool kick off without any unnecessary engineering changes. 

Tom_Spangler (Forum Supporter)
Tom_Spangler (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
10/10/23 11:04 a.m.

Obviously PLA wouldn't hold up to this kind of use, but what about ASA?

Turbo_Rev
Turbo_Rev Reader
10/10/23 12:59 p.m.

In reply to Tom_Spangler (Forum Supporter) :

ABS, ASA, Nylon, maaaaaybe PETG.

If I had a project that was going to live outside, I'd lean towards ASA. I'd paint it with something opaque, no matter what.

84FSP
84FSP UberDork
10/11/23 8:22 a.m.

Nylon plus paint would hold up to the high temps best.  ASA painted would have the best colder temp range and stability for outdoor exposure.

TR7
TR7 Reader
12/13/23 11:20 a.m.

For those of us without a 3d printer, I got mine here and have been plenty happy with them. 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/375114078376?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=obfezjtdtle&sssrc=2047675&ssuid=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
PWIA78UVU2rQXomx2cksYdsw1mEl3n7uIsbHCG8b2GEn5HvQ0YEer6uhavJEfVho