1 2
Alfa105_BMWE30
Alfa105_BMWE30 New Reader
8/9/13 4:32 p.m.

In reply to Swank Force One:

Thanks again for even more information. I'm currently weighing a few options. One would be sticking with my current very, very nice and reliable E30 318is and putting some money into the suspension and perhaps the replacing the steering box and shifter with the more modern E36 Z3 equivalents. That would bring the handling up more like an E30 M3, but I actually owned an exceptional example of one of those for about a dozen years from the early 90's so I feel like I've been there and done that.

Second option would be selling the 318is for something that has the really sharp handling feeling of my former Mazdaspeed Protege so more modern than the 318is, but in the $5-10K range. I've considered an E36 M3 as well, but those feel a bit bigger and heavier than what I really prefer.

Third option is going even more old school with something from the late 60's up through the early 80's since there are a total of 4 vehicles (including a 2008 Toyota Highlander and 2011 Mazda2) in the household so daily driver reliablity isn't as critical. That would be something like a BMW 2002 (I've owned a couple), a non-convertible Alfa (my fun weekend driver is currently a '73 Giulia Super) just because I'm convertible-averse, or perhaps a vintage Mini. If it was to be an Alfa, I'm thinking of an Alfetta sedan or a reasonably solid early 70's Berlina.

Something like an MX-6/626GT just seems a bit close to what I already have in my E30 318is or I'd definitely be investigating them.

Vigo
Vigo UberDork
8/9/13 9:30 p.m.
Honestly, the Corolla XRS isn't far off from the MSP in terms of response. I'd consider it a superior car in every way besides looks, but that's subjective.

I recently drove an XRS and it is not all that special until the last 1300 rpms. I dont think the handling holds a candle to a mazdaspeed protege from what everyone says about it (havent driven one of those). It probably is about as fast in a straight line, though. Overall, i like them a lot but would prefer a Celica, and im a shameless family sedan enthusiast.

mndsm
mndsm PowerDork
8/9/13 9:36 p.m.
Alfa105_BMWE30 wrote: In reply to Swank Force One: Thanks again for even more information. I'm currently weighing a few options. One would be sticking with my current very, very nice and reliable E30 318is and putting some money into the suspension and perhaps the replacing the steering box and shifter with the more modern E36 Z3 equivalents. That would bring the handling up more like an E30 M3, but I actually owned an exceptional example of one of those for about a dozen years from the early 90's so I feel like I've been there and done that. Second option would be selling the 318is for something that has the really sharp handling feeling of my former Mazdaspeed Protege so more modern than the 318is, but in the $5-10K range. I've considered an E36 M3 as well, but those feel a bit bigger and heavier than what I really prefer. Third option is going even more old school with something from the late 60's up through the early 80's since there are a total of 4 vehicles (including a 2008 Toyota Highlander and 2011 Mazda2) in the household so daily driver reliablity isn't as critical. That would be something like a BMW 2002 (I've owned a couple), a non-convertible Alfa (my fun weekend driver is currently a '73 Giulia Super) just because I'm convertible-averse, or perhaps a vintage Mini. If it was to be an Alfa, I'm thinking of an Alfetta sedan or a reasonably solid early 70's Berlina. Something like an MX-6/626GT just seems a bit close to what I already have in my E30 318is or I'd definitely be investigating them.

Powerwise, an mx6 GT will take a 318's lunch money and berkeley its girlfriend, and still return 30+ mpg. I'm a fan of 80's boxes, and I'd argue the e30 is a better looking car. RWD vs. FWD too.

JamesMcD
JamesMcD HalfDork
8/9/13 11:18 p.m.

Ahem. This may not be the time or the place, but I have to post this picture. If THIS engine fits into THIS car, then maybe that means an F-series engine and transmission would go into the Protege, and fix it's issues. Just a thought.

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
8/10/13 10:44 a.m.

Ew.

Who the hell thought THAT was a good idea?

JamesMcD
JamesMcD HalfDork
8/10/13 11:10 a.m.

Some Scandinavian guy.

mndsm
mndsm PowerDork
8/10/13 11:35 a.m.
JamesMcD wrote: Ahem. This may not be the time or the place, but I have to post this picture. If THIS engine fits into THIS car, then maybe that means an F-series engine and transmission would go into the Protege, and fix it's issues. Just a thought.

Only thing I'd worry about is clearance on the hood, F2T's are kinda tall from what I remember, and the last BG chassis I was involved with didn't have a lot of room up and down.

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
8/10/13 12:57 p.m.

There's a couple f2t BGs running around. It would fit in a BJ. The hard part will be fitting the h-type trans.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
XcDiMBaIkCmqtFWbv0ypLxRPWuNkP7UGUr593cKuekwakCMPIiDYxKLT4UOIYyfh