1 2 3
SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
12/25/13 9:38 p.m.
Rmon wrote: Looking at all the E36 M3's locally, they seem to be priced much higher than you guys are suggesting. The worst ones are priced around $5k, with decent ones priced at $8k, and ones similar to mine from $9k-$11k.

Have they sold?

If not, they are priced too high.

calteg
calteg Reader
12/25/13 10:19 p.m.
SVreX wrote: For these reasons, BMW has the fastest depreciation curve of any major marque.

Audi, land rover, and masarati are all far, far worse. Though depending on your definition of "major" the later two might not count

Ian F
Ian F UltimaDork
12/25/13 10:26 p.m.
SVreX wrote: Plus, you are in a price point that few people can pay cash, and banks are ONLY going to finance to book value. They really don't care if you think the book is low.

It's a '95 - it's not 9 years old, it's 19 years old. This is way past 'used car loan' territory and into 'personal loan' territory.

pimpm3
pimpm3 HalfDork
12/26/13 1:47 a.m.

I would ask 7950.00, It is getting harder to find one that is not all ragged out. Also Alpine with black interior is a desirable color combo. Worst case you lower the price if you don't get any hits.

On a side note it will be tax season soon which won't exactly hurt your chances of selling it.

yamaha
yamaha PowerDork
12/26/13 6:38 a.m.

Isn't this coming up on the valve adjustment servicing on top of the rest?

Strike_Zero
Strike_Zero SuperDork
12/26/13 7:25 a.m.

In reply to yamaha:

Nothing to adjust on M50 based S50.

yamaha
yamaha PowerDork
12/26/13 7:41 a.m.

In reply to Strike_Zero:

Hmmm, is that just S14 and S54 then?

D_Eclipse9916
D_Eclipse9916 New Reader
12/26/13 7:47 a.m.
pimpm3 wrote: I would ask 7950.00, It is getting harder to find one that is not all ragged out. Also Alpine with black interior is a desirable color combo. Worst case you lower the price if you don't get any hits. On a side note it will be tax season soon which won't exactly hurt your chances of selling it.

+1 a lot of people saying " I wouldnt pay over 5-6k for it", are either those who don't know E36 M3s market value right now, or are the kind of guys " I traded a thumbtack for a porsche". You are on GRM, EVERYBODY has bought a car cheaper/free/someone paid them to take the car.

Go on bimmerforums, youll be easily able to get 7-8k. The ones that are ridiculous are the ones asking 10-12k for a 90-120k mile car.

D_Eclipse9916
D_Eclipse9916 New Reader
12/26/13 7:49 a.m.
yamaha wrote: Isn't this coming up on the valve adjustment servicing on top of the rest?

Please stop. This is not an s54, please stop spreading ignorance.

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/26/13 7:56 a.m.

As the US S50 and S52 are based on the more plebian M50/52, they are the least maintaince intensive S engines out there. They are understressed and overbuilt and except for Vanos (which just fails on any BMW) do not require anything special done to them.

Unless E36M3 prices have taken a dump in the past few years, that is a low mileage M3 that has been taken care of. I do not see why it could not fetch 8K with some of the upcoming issues taken care of.

As an enthusiast, I would not care about the suspension bushings, I would replace them all with Poly anyway. I would like to see the cooling system done and the engine mounts replaced. Those would show me that the car was well loved and taken care of

yamaha
yamaha PowerDork
12/26/13 8:10 a.m.

In reply to D_Eclipse9916:

Um, no need to be a dick? I couldn't remember which ones needed it, but knew it was on some of the maintence schedules.

Strike_Zero
Strike_Zero SuperDork
12/26/13 8:19 a.m.
yamaha wrote: In reply to Strike_Zero: Hmmm, is that just S14 and S54 then?

Bingo

Bobzilla
Bobzilla PowerDork
12/26/13 9:28 a.m.
D_Eclipse9916 wrote:
yamaha wrote: Isn't this coming up on the valve adjustment servicing on top of the rest?
Please stop. This is not an s54, please stop spreading ignorance.

Please stop. There's no need to be a prick. A little common courtesy goes a long ways.

patgizz
patgizz GRM+ Memberand UberDork
12/26/13 9:29 a.m.
Rmon wrote: I know none of you would pay that much, but that doesn't mean someone locally who doesn't know anything about these cars won't. I guess we'll see how it does, thanks for all the help.

so you're hoping some ignorant person on CL doesn't know what you are not disclosing. ie - all this big work that needs done has not been done, and they have not researched enough to know that it needs done, so you're not telling them.

sounds super honest to me.

Tyler H
Tyler H GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
12/26/13 9:45 a.m.

Agree with earlier comments that E36 M3 is going to draw enthusiast owners that will have to pay with cash.

When I buy a new toy car, I enjoy doing some of the deferred maintenance myself so that I know it was done correctly.

Someone who is going to go through the car anyway won't really mind if it needs the work. Especially Type-A folks that are going to re-do it anyway.

I don't think it's dishonest at all, as long as it isn't misrepresented. The right price is what the market will bear. Clean E36 M3s are at the bottom of the curve. If you want one, get it now.

Strike_Zero
Strike_Zero SuperDork
12/26/13 10:00 a.m.
Rmon wrote: I know none of you would pay that much, but that doesn't mean someone locally who doesn't know anything about these cars won't.

I would pay $7ish k for a clean, sorted and low miles E36 M3 with all the usual cooling system stuff and bushings done to it if I was in the market. It will be less work I have to do

Example: The cooling system (radiator, hoses, fan clutch, thermostat + housing and water pump) on a E36 should take about 2-3 hours (budget 5 if you never done it) with burping it.

As GPS stated, if you skipped out on the easy stuff, then it tells ME that the rest of the maintenance is/was substandard.

Most people have some BMW friends in the know that will warn them on things like that. This can potentially shrink your pool of CL'ers who don't "know" about the quirks.

Just be straight up in the ad, post a price and let cards fall were they may. You'll know if you priced it wrong/right based on responses you get.

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
12/26/13 11:20 a.m.

The real answer is always advertise it for what you want to get for it and if you sell it great. If not then don't sell it, or increase the value by doing what others have suggested and ask the same $$$$ or lower your price.

I would start by looking on CL and eBay and see what is out there and advertise accordingly.

Rusnak_322
Rusnak_322 HalfDork
12/26/13 12:56 p.m.
Rmon wrote: So here's some more info, I realize I didn't give you guys enough in the first post. The car is a 5spd with no 5th gear lean or other issues. The interior is 7/10, the only issues are the delaminating door panels, and the drivers seat is a little worn. The cooling system has not been redone, nor have the bushings, save for some powerflex rtabs. The car is coming up on some major maintenance, but that's kind of the reason I'm considering selling it. I don't really have the time to give it all the TLC it needs. Unfortunately, there's no paperwork. The dealer I bought it from showed me the receipts but wouldn't let me have them. The receipts he showed us led me to believe it was very well maintained, and there was only one previous owner. From what I've seen on the car, I believe this to be true. Unfortunately, there's no way to prove it. Edit: DFW

When selling the car, I would omit the story about the dealer having receipts and not letting you keep them. It reeks of E36 M3 and any savvy seller will assume that you are a liar as dealers never have records, and why would they not let you have them if they did?

ansonivan
ansonivan Dork
12/26/13 1:06 p.m.

BMW network dealers do have access to all records of work on the car performed at any BMW dealer. If you do business with them they may print them for you but they are under no obligation to do so.

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
12/26/13 1:06 p.m.
Ian F wrote:
SVreX wrote: Plus, you are in a price point that few people can pay cash, and banks are ONLY going to finance to book value. They really don't care if you think the book is low.
It's a '95 - it's not 9 years old, it's 19 years old. This is way past 'used car loan' territory and into 'personal loan' territory.

Oh yeah.

That just emphasizes my point.

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
12/26/13 1:08 p.m.
mad_machine wrote: ... that is a low mileage M3 that has been taken care of. I do not see why it could not fetch 8K with some of the upcoming issues taken care of.

Ummm... yeah, but he said the maintenance has NOT been completed, and that he wanted to sell it as-is.

Therefore, it's not an $8K car.

DaveEstey
DaveEstey UltraDork
12/26/13 2:18 p.m.

Friend of mine bought a similar E36 M3 4-door for $3,500.

Rusnak_322
Rusnak_322 HalfDork
12/26/13 2:19 p.m.
ansonivan wrote: BMW network dealers do have access to all records of work on the car performed at any BMW dealer. If you do business with them they may print them for you but they are under no obligation to do so.

If you are buying a car from them why would they refuse to give you copies?

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker MegaDork
12/26/13 2:38 p.m.
yamaha wrote: You forgot to subtract 1000 for an automatic......otherwise I agree with your post.

If it has an auto... I wouldn't be there looking at it. :)

yamaha
yamaha PowerDork
12/26/13 2:41 p.m.

In reply to Giant Purple Snorklewacker:

It can be fixed, but I probably wouldn't be either.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
wG5MhGds7GsIPRbogW4QKkeZpvnNfV3rD9Si9SDsNGRGyfYbajTgsBKPPntaeD0X