nerdtastic
nerdtastic New Reader
3/13/24 9:51 a.m.

Hello all. I am looking at a Lexus IS 350 in the next few days. The Carfax runs perfectly clear, but the Lexus maintenance history has an allstate claim, as shwon below:

And here's the "My Lexus" history report:

Slightly before this date, there is a lien reported also

Looks to me like they had a body kit installed, and then had it removed before sale. Which isn't the end of the world if that's the case. But why would there be an Allstate claim, especially if Carfax shows no damage claims?

Any dealers or insurance guys availiable to ease my mind/advise me to walk away?

Car looks good otherwise, at least as far as oil changes, etc goes.

Thanks in advance!

SKJSS (formerly Klayfish)
SKJSS (formerly Klayfish) UltimaDork
3/13/24 9:59 a.m.

Because despite what Carfax wants you to believe, it's an imperfect report...at best.  No way to know for sure but best guess is that 50% of accidents do not show up on Carfax.  

nerdtastic
nerdtastic New Reader
3/13/24 10:19 a.m.

Well, I figured it's not perfect, but no idea it was thought to be closer to 50/50!

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
3/13/24 10:38 a.m.

In reply to nerdtastic :

I recognize that the small print is from the dealership service record Lexus/Toyota/Scion provides.  Isn't that a great service...for free!?

Here's my take...

This car probably got a lot of dealer service?  I say that because he chose to use the dealership body shop for his front end accident claimed via Allstate. 

In that accident the car has a carbon fiber hood, fenders, and a front airdam with integrated side rocker body kit.  Allstate said, "we won't cover these aftermarket parts.". So, he brought in the metal hood and fenders that he originally took off

He had not owned the car very long before his inability to control the fast car got him in an accident. 

I wonder if the owner was dealer related ,like a Lexus mechanic and had some insight on how to this from getting reported to Carfax. 

nerdtastic
nerdtastic New Reader
3/13/24 12:12 p.m.

In reply to John Welsh :

I was hoping you'd pop in! 
yes, I love the Lexus/Toyota history site. It may have just saved me a significant headache after all! 

Your analysis makes sense. 
thanks! I think I'll be skipping on this one. It's priced like it's mint, and it's carmax so there's no haggling after showing them the facts. 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
tcCAiaODzUNXxDYUspqcSO0Q9U1JQoK6bqf0fLk3Yhq6mnBr02wt0btpm1JjUWAj