plance1
plance1 SuperDork
9/26/14 5:55 p.m.

Im guessing this thread will get moved to "off-topic", especially since none of us are supposed to own anything of value lol, but has anyone have any experience with these? I have an old sport trac but somebody keeps denting it and its pi$$ing me off!!!! I really want to catch the person. I know that newer Range Rovers come with these cameras that record while you are out of the car. Thats what I want.

Toyman01
Toyman01 GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
9/26/14 8:19 p.m.

In reply to plance1:

My dash camera will record 24/7. A 16 gig card holds about 24 hours of recording. It has two cameras in it that will swivel 180 degrees so you can aim them at the likely areas to get hit.

Not the cheapest on the market, but I've had good luck with it for the last couple of years.

Link

SlickDizzy
SlickDizzy GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
9/27/14 1:02 a.m.

Beware, it's illegal in some states to record people without notice, period...GM is currently in hot water over this thanks to the new Vette's "valet mode" that records video and audio. Kind of ridiculous but apparently that's the case...

stan_d
stan_d Dork
9/27/14 7:02 a.m.

Put a sticker in the window saying there is video surveillance. Therefore everyone has been notified.

44Dwarf
44Dwarf UltraDork
9/27/14 8:01 a.m.

Some state its the audio that get you in trouble. you need a signed waver of right here in the communist state of taxacussetts....

Sine_Qua_Non
Sine_Qua_Non HalfDork
9/27/14 8:27 a.m.
SlickDizzy wrote: Beware, it's illegal in some states to record people without notice, period...GM is currently in hot water over this thanks to the new Vette's "valet mode" that records video and audio. Kind of ridiculous but apparently that's the case...

How does that work with Google View?

moparman76_69
moparman76_69 SuperDork
9/27/14 8:45 a.m.

State of Indiana says if you have security cameras you must post that the premises have video surveillance. I'm assuming this would be the same for in vehicle.

Wally
Wally GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/27/14 8:55 a.m.

I don't know if vehicles are subject to the same rules. Many large commercial fleets have cameras inside and outside their vehicles for recording collisions and other incidents.

If you want to post a sign to be sure taxis here have cameras and on the rear door windows they have a 1"x4" sticker saying "You will be photographed". I would think a private car would be fine with the same.

plance1
plance1 SuperDork
9/27/14 7:47 p.m.

The perp vandalizing my wife's vehicle isn't too worried about the law and on this subject neither am I. If I catch the guy doing this what is he going to do, sue me???? What do I care? Thanks for sharing that link Toyman, how is the quality? Should I assume night recordings are poor?

Toyman01
Toyman01 GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
9/27/14 8:25 p.m.

Night recording sucks, black screen. It doesn't take much light to get a shot though. Day light hours is pretty good.

This was shot with it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XyCaCVLUulg

Quality would have been better if there hadn't been a notebook on the dash below it.

ncjay
ncjay Dork
9/27/14 8:40 p.m.

A camera used for deer tracking may be a solution. They have infrared, are designed to be used at night, and have motion sensors. Might be a little tricky to get them pointed at the right spot, though. http://www.cabelas.com/category/Trail-Cameras-Accessories/103867380.uts

moparman76_69
moparman76_69 SuperDork
9/27/14 9:36 p.m.
plance1 wrote: The perp vandalizing my wife's vehicle isn't too worried about the law and on this subject neither am I. If I catch the guy doing this what is he going to do, sue me???? What do I care? Thanks for sharing that link Toyman, how is the quality? Should I assume night recordings are poor?

Police can't use the recording as evidence of a crime if it isn't legally obtained. No recording = no case = guy is still on the prowl.

EastCoastMojo
EastCoastMojo GRM+ Memberand Mod Squad
9/27/14 10:03 p.m.

Borrow a van and wait in it until guy comes along and makes his move. No rule against an eye witness.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
icBHGmfO0g6u0qZ5rRwbZ0n12tKBcgikml53lVQN7GaDywZ1Agf8fxAwc9GPqvW4