1 2
integraguy
integraguy Dork
6/21/11 7:16 a.m.

If I couldn't see the sides, I'd think this car was even dirtier than mine....if that's possible. (The hood's "splatches" look like bird doo doo.)

I'm intrigued by wraps, and especially ones that aren't blatant product billboards....but this one almost makes me think of a proposal for the next "Barbie" / "Hot Wheels" crossover product.

Finally: I have to wonder how long this wrap stays on this car before the owner says "....OMG, what was I thinking?" Assuming that somehow his forehead doesn't already have a large dent in the middle of it.

alfadriver
alfadriver SuperDork
6/21/11 7:22 a.m.

While the actual graphics represent some arguably questionable taste (which I think is ok for the owner to do....)...

What this really shows is how fleible vinyl wrap can be. Picture BMW art cars. or some artist you like a ton.

Remember the story about Peter Max and his Vette's? He could do the work on a wrap and put it on the cars. Although, knowing him, he would rather do the actual paint directly, since that would add value to the owner (the right owner, not if you don't like it).

If you could use art the way you want, you could do a pretty amazing color scheme on your car.

Even without the hard work of custom paint. And, it's not permanent. The possibilities are, well, only limited by you.

dyintorace
dyintorace GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
6/21/11 8:39 a.m.
T.J. wrote: Is that all on one car or does he have 3 miatas? Please tell me there is the star miata, the beach miata, and the desert miata.

One car...a different scene on the right, left and front side. And folks are spot on (ha!) about the front end. It looked like bird poop and/or horrific rock chips.

As for the choice of art work, that's all about personal taste. The execution was done quite well and started as digital prints he took to a graphics shop. They produced the vinyl and on it went. Like alfadriver said, it's pretty limitless what can be done with personalization now.

Do race cars get wrapped now? Or is it still paint?

Keith
Keith GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
6/21/11 10:01 a.m.

I think most pro race cars are wrapped.

We wrapped one of our Targa Newfoundland cars. We had a new nose on it that needed painting anyhow, so we saved some money there. The biggest problem was keeping the graphics shop from putting airbrush-style flaming skulls and the like all over it - they really didn't feel like doing something that could have been done with paint. In the end, we did prevail and ended up with a design that could have been painted, but would have been more expensive/difficult.

dollraves
dollraves Reader
6/21/11 10:16 a.m.

Okay, I have to say... I dig it. Maybe it's a chick thing. :D

Barbie would totally drive that car. TOTALLY!

Xceler8x
Xceler8x GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
6/21/11 3:49 p.m.

Makes me wonder...would wraps work for stripes? You wouldn't wrap the whole car. Just add a strip or two down a side or over the top. Then if you didn't like the color or the design you just tear it off and start over..

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
6/21/11 4:05 p.m.

My first reaction was

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
6/21/11 4:09 p.m.

However I really like this wrap

Capt Slow
Capt Slow Dork
6/21/11 4:33 p.m.

What do wraps really cost? I am fascinated by the idea of using one to spruce up my miata since the paint on my car is going white and flaking off, on the hood and the trunk lid.

I have heard that the wraps are in the $300 range? but then you have to install it yourself, which honestly seems nearly as scary as painting it.

In fact its seems scarier than painting it since with paint, a screw up means a bunch of sanding and work. Where as a vinyl sticker screw up means you need to go back to the shop and have them print up another $300 giant sticker to cover your car.

Still, if I ever did a wrap it would look like this:

Keith
6/21/11 5:02 p.m.
Xceler8x wrote: Makes me wonder...would wraps work for stripes? You wouldn't wrap the whole car. Just add a strip or two down a side or over the top. Then if you didn't like the color or the design you just tear it off and start over..

You mean, strips of vinyl in a different color to work as a stripe? I did that to my Miata back in 1996 or so Been done forever.

Captain, I think you're about an order of magnitude off for an installed wrap. I think they're close to $3k. Of course, it will be a lot cheaper to do it yourself. You wet the car down to give yourself some do-over opportunities.

oldsaw
oldsaw SuperDork
6/21/11 6:08 p.m.
Keith wrote: Of course, it will be a lot cheaper to do it yourself. You wet the car down to give yourself some do-over opportunities.

I'm thinking this is contingent on the paint condition. I'd try a DIY wrap on the Prelude but the paint is so far gone, it feels like fine-grit sandpaper. Keeping it wet might help.

Capt Slow
Capt Slow Dork
6/21/11 6:42 p.m.

$3k !!! Dang I was guessing the installed price would be close to $1k and the "diy" price ~$300

Keith
6/21/11 7:18 p.m.

I'll confirm that price - I might be off by a bit. It could be $2000 or so. Depends on the size of the car I suppose. Tom Heath could probably comment on what the DIY setup on his car cost.

docwyte
docwyte Reader
6/22/11 9:40 a.m.

My vinyl gal has told me wraps are around $2500 installed or more, depending on the size of the car...

Tom Heath
Tom Heath Web Manager
6/22/11 10:26 a.m.

Mine wasn't quite DIY. Bob Stephens and the gang at Bargain Signs did a fantastic job on my car. Here's an online version of the writeup.

It would have run "around" $2k to do mine, but a good portion of that cost would be getting the art file right. Also, the quality of the material you're using makes a big difference. (3M for the win!) Cheaper materials are supposedly more tricky to install, fade more quickly, and leave more residue when it's time to strip them down.

After watching/helping the process I'd be willing to try one on my own, knowing that I'd screw it up at least once. It's no impossible, but there are certainly tricks to learn from experience.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Au635EyU45Dpnuz8euloCa8etkvXJu59AnD6bYUfmZVKbtQqEMqjcvbiZ9NEBUx0