1 2
captdownshift
captdownshift GRM+ Memberand Dork
1/16/15 10:15 a.m.

I've been thinking this morning about a Porsche concept that is so far fetched in the realm of fiction that it isn't even remotely possible that it is even scribed as a doodle in the pad of one of their engineers or designers, but would make one heck of a Porsche as a salute to both the past and future of the company.

The concept would involve a chassis slighter smaller then the 981 chassis, a modified version of the 718 chassis under development would work. The powerplant would be a direct injected rear mounted horizontally opposed 1.6L with a electric hybrid assist turbo to combat turbo lag. Using tech from the WEC 919 and 918 hypercars in the smallest offering from the brand. The batteries would be mounted in front of the rear axle, strattling the transmission, to assist with counterbalancing the penalty of a rear mounted engine; in fact the weight of the transmission and batteries together would likely be greater then the flat four hanging off of the rearend. Transmission options would be the PDK and a 7 speed manual.

I'd revive the 914 nameplate for the little hybrid screamer and give it exterior design cues consistent with the 991 and 981 cars. It wouldn't be cheap to purchase, likely not undercutting the 981 pricepoint at all, R&D wouldn't be too bad borrowing for VW/Audi and in house in the engine and hybrid assist turbo development. But the efficiency of operation and power potential in RWD chassis of that size would be unrivaled.

wvumtnbkr
wvumtnbkr GRM+ Memberand Dork
1/16/15 10:20 a.m.

I think (in my mind) you just described a hybrid cayman.

A vehicle that needs to happen that is not even in concept form is a sports oriented minivan. Something that you could autox with straight from the factory. Paddle shifters please.

captdownshift
1/16/15 10:25 a.m.

In reply to wvumtnbkr:

that'd be a lightly modified Mazda5, sans flappy paddles. It's a shame that it's no longer going to be available stateside.

What I'm describing would have most of the benefits of a Cayman over a 911, though still rear engined and in a smaller package with the power potential close to that of the naturally aspired 3.8L car, and the efficiency that would likely exceed 40mpg with a second overdrive in the 7 spd.

pinchvalve
pinchvalve GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/16/15 10:27 a.m.

I'm still waiting on the modular car. Like this, only from Ford.

tuna55
tuna55 UltimaDork
1/16/15 10:28 a.m.

I like this thread.

After leasing a Leaf for 15 months or so now, I think the best concept I would want to make as an automaker is a serial hybrid truck. Let's say you packed the underbed area of a pickup (there is a lot of room under there) with batteries and added skidplates for off road adventures. You drive around town using the batteries, drive for longer distances using the ICE, and when you're towing/hauling/pulling something you could engage both for a major torque boost. This would probably cost less than the gas->diesel cost.

Think if you could tell a fleet buyer for some contractor/cable company/power company/HVAC company/whatever that he could do 90% of his miles without using a drop of gasoline, and with the chargers installed at his shop they would all be filled in the morning. That for the remaining 10% he's have a typical truck, but with an extra 200 lb ft of torque available with no extra wear with a push of a button.

I think that would sell.

RossD
RossD PowerDork
1/16/15 10:41 a.m.

Small econobox with 4 doors with or without hatchback, small 4 cylinder with manual transmission, try to keep it light weight but still have some creature comfort because that's what sells, get good mpgs, low power, skinny tires, seats 4.1 to 4.5 people, and..... rear wheel drive.

Basically a BMW 1-series but made by a different car company that can make it at a lower price point and sell it as being a higher fuel economy car.

The trick is that it will have excellent handling without doing anything fancy. Struts up front and maybe a small light weight rear axle from an already developed awd compact suv.

TL;DR I want a 4 door rwd econobox with the soul of a sports car put the price point of said econobox.

captdownshift
1/16/15 10:53 a.m.

In reply to pinchvalve:

What was the Nissan from the late 80's that was closest to this?

The Pulsar NX Sportbak, the hatchback rear piece was interchangeable with the coupe rear piece for flexibility of platform. I believe some were T-tops as well

DaveEstey
DaveEstey PowerDork
1/16/15 10:55 a.m.

Modern Ranchero with the Taurus SHO drivetrain

captdownshift
1/16/15 10:56 a.m.

In reply to RossD:

you would like the Starlet brought back, would like it with a NA inline 4, or a DI turbo 4? or available with both as options.

DanyloS
DanyloS New Reader
1/16/15 11:04 a.m.
tuna55 wrote: I like this thread. After leasing a Leaf for 15 months or so now, I think the best concept I would want to make as an automaker is a serial hybrid truck. Let's say you packed the underbed area of a pickup (there is a lot of room under there) with batteries and added skidplates for off road adventures. You drive around town using the batteries, drive for longer distances using the ICE, and when you're towing/hauling/pulling something you could engage both for a major torque boost. This would probably cost less than the gas->diesel cost. Think if you could tell a fleet buyer for some contractor/cable company/power company/HVAC company/whatever that he could do 90% of his miles without using a drop of gasoline, and with the chargers installed at his shop they would all be filled in the morning. That for the remaining 10% he's have a typical truck, but with an extra 200 lb ft of torque available with no extra wear with a push of a button. I think that would sell.

A small firm has been working on it for delivery and garbage trucks batteries and small turbines. Unable to remember the firm's name but basically fleets are only just starting to break into testing them. The idea is it's already a massively heavy truck that's constantly stopping/starting. So use a ton of batteries to power an electric drivetrain and the small turbine to keep the batteries topped off.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
1/16/15 11:14 a.m.

We need a car like the early 60s Falcon or Nova. Sedan, coupe, convertable, wagon , ute. One to do it all. Give us 3-4 trim and drive train options. Sell millions.

wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe SuperDork
1/16/15 11:15 a.m.

Jeep make this. Seriously its a no brainer. Plus you have small effecient motors that you can stick in it now.

tuna55
tuna55 UltimaDork
1/16/15 11:17 a.m.

In reply to DanyloS:

The turbine part of that is a turnoff.

From a guy who is associated with very big turbines, I can tell you that little ones are not very efficient. I'd rather a reciprocating ICE for that generator.

ebonyandivory
ebonyandivory SuperDork
1/16/15 11:27 a.m.

A new Datsun 510.

JtspellS
JtspellS SuperDork
1/16/15 12:14 p.m.

A Harkin back to Mazda in the 70s with a choice of the 808 or the performance version being an RX3,or just a small diesel truck.

Graefin10
Graefin10 SuperDork
1/16/15 12:17 p.m.

I'd like to see a return to smaller pickups. I'd like to see it designed out of the box for longevity. Intend to stay with the design for many years. Let that be known up front. Bullet proof drive train of no more than 2.0L; excellent rust proofing; only two cab designs, standard or "extracab"; 2 or 4WD. Options available but lots of standard trans. manual window units on the lot. Target 30 mpg hwy.

yamaha
yamaha MegaDork
1/16/15 12:39 p.m.

A return of the Mercury Cougar.....s550 chassis, 3.5TT, sold through lincoln dealers to infuse them with a younger buying audience....

Oh, and it has to be a cougar, nobody wants another Lincoln Mark-- car.....

PHeller
PHeller PowerDork
1/16/15 12:41 p.m.

1.7 L (1,686 cc) VCDi (GM) I4 (t/c) Diesel from Chevy Cruze in the City Express job van.

Manual Transmission options for Nissan NV2500, Ford Transit Connect, and Ram ProMaster City.

All I want is something I can sleep in (6' rear door to back of front seat), drive to work efficiently (35mpg highway), and not have to worry about the trans crapping out (Transit Connect).

ebonyandivory
ebonyandivory SuperDork
1/16/15 12:45 p.m.

Lower price-point AWD wagon. I feel like Subaru needs more competition.

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/16/15 1:01 p.m.

A real Honda pickup that I can tow 6500 pounds and plow snow with.

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker MegaDork
1/16/15 1:26 p.m.

A vehicle with a pluggable power system cassette so I can be electric around town and 100% gas powered for long trips but not drag both of them around all the time.

Nick_Comstock
Nick_Comstock PowerDork
1/16/15 1:38 p.m.
Appleseed wrote: We need a car like the early 60s Falcon or Nova. Sedan, coupe, convertable, wagon , ute. One to do it all. Give us 3-4 trim and drive train options. Sell millions.

+1

G_Body_Man
G_Body_Man Reader
1/16/15 1:59 p.m.

A mid-engined car with a GM 2.0T that has a lightweight steel and aluminum space frame, clothed with composite panels. Call it the Chevrolet Monza.

JFX001
JFX001 UberDork
1/16/15 4:54 p.m.
Appleseed wrote: We need a car like the early 60s Falcon or Nova. Sedan, coupe, convertable, wagon , ute. One to do it all. Give us 3-4 trim and drive train options. Sell millions.

I still think that they should bring back/revamp Saturn. Cut the back off of an updated Vue and you have the basis for a pick up.

BlueInGreen44
BlueInGreen44 Reader
1/16/15 5:07 p.m.

I would like to see a sexy sporty rwd upscale Ford product. Maybe offered in 4 door and two door flavors to compete with the Germans. Give the Cougar a proper revival.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
6w0TMEvHzwLgAUL3KxKNznN2Fz0wAoGbqHWCxS22YiuqiYTD2Blnh7hmlg1WPJlQ