1 2
ChrisTropea
ChrisTropea Associate Editor
11/18/23 12:00 p.m.

https://www.youtube.com/embed/aJWOzX07J3k?si=HH-VJ35XG91OQn1B

Sure, the VW GTI is a piece of automotive history, but why should you buy one?

Here are 5 reasons why–in less than 5 minutes.

Presented by CRC Industries.

Watch more videos

rsmith7
rsmith7 GRM+ Memberand New Reader
11/18/23 1:56 p.m.

Bought a 2003 Mk4 GTI a couple years ago and have been in love ever since. Great handling, decent power from the little 1.8 turbo, 5spd package and 30mpg on my daily commute on the cruise control.  Loads of room to carry stuff especially with the back seats down. Car came with Koni coilovers, Neuspeed rear sway bar installed. So far I've upgraded the typical items, stock pads (carbon) and rotors (slotted), changed the clutch, timing belt and related  accessories. Tires/wheels, and a few other items needed addressed. Only issue I found was finding a shop who would do the work right the first time, and not leave tools behind, found it!

preach
preach GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
11/18/23 2:03 p.m.

Concur.

Lao50
Lao50
11/18/23 3:59 p.m.

I had the original U.S. 1983 Rabbit GTI. Fantastic car. Had tremendous handling and was

comfortable for long drives. At the time in 1983 it really was quite quick for the day.

V8 Camaros could not keep up. Wish I still had it.

Datsun240ZGuy
Datsun240ZGuy MegaDork
11/18/23 4:57 p.m.
Tom_Spangler (Forum Supporter)
Tom_Spangler (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
11/18/23 5:43 p.m.

There have been several times where I considered a GTI but ended up with something else. One of these days, I will have one. It's high on my automotive bucket list.

Woody (Forum Supportum)
Woody (Forum Supportum) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/18/23 7:06 p.m.

I've always wanted a GTI, but by the time I was able to afford a new one, I no longer had any confidence their long term reliability. 

Datsun240ZGuy
Datsun240ZGuy MegaDork
11/18/23 8:51 p.m.
Woody (Forum Supportum) said:

I've always wanted a GTI, but by the time I was able to afford a new one, I no longer had any confidence their long term reliability. 

........and you bought a Honda product?  I feel the same way.

I rotated the tires and checked the brakes  on my wife's '18 Honda Pilot today and every time I work on it I feel; except for the crappy ride and road noise these Hondas are great vehicles. 

ChrisTropea
ChrisTropea Associate Editor
11/18/23 8:57 p.m.

I have owned 2 GTIs and I really regret selling my MK4 VR6 GTI, that was a really cool car. My MK6 was a good car but was not the most reliable car at times. 

Woody (Forum Supportum)
Woody (Forum Supportum) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/18/23 9:54 p.m.

In reply to Datsun240ZGuy :

I've bought about a dozen or more new Honda products, and another handful of used ones. They have been fantastically reliable. I've never owned a Pilot though.

_cruster
_cruster
11/18/23 10:26 p.m.

In reply to Woody (Forum Supportum) :

Interesting - the MK7 is surely the most reliable GTI yet.

preach
preach GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
11/19/23 12:46 a.m.

My tuned mk6 is at 125k with no serious problems. I am not gentle with it either.

Similarly we've owned 2 audi bodied "GTI"s a 1.8t and a vr6 one. 1.8 had issues, 3.2 is over 200k and refuses to die.

RonnieFnD
RonnieFnD Reader
11/19/23 9:14 a.m.

This.  I worked for a dealer group that had a WV dealer next door so that scared me away from them.  They are the perfect car for me...fun to drive, hatchback so I can load up my hockey gear, good on gas, incredible DSG trans.  They can be incredibly good cars and last forever but the number of those cars is shrinking. 

Edit.  To be fair it seems like this is the case for most cars taking a dive in quality,  not just a cheap shot at VAG.

Teh E36 M3
Teh E36 M3 UltraDork
11/19/23 9:41 a.m.

Our 2015 mk7 has been good for 90k. Two new batteries. One water pump.  Lovely car. 

amg_rx7 (Forum Supporter)
amg_rx7 (Forum Supporter) SuperDork
11/19/23 12:46 p.m.

I'd rather have a Mazda 3 hatchback. Or maybe something from Hyundai Kia

buzzboy
buzzboy UltraDork
11/19/23 1:17 p.m.

I've not driven one but I wouldn't be mad at a Mk3/4 especially a VR6. I love that drivetrain in my wife's Passat and can only imagine it in a lighter smaller car.

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
11/20/23 9:26 a.m.

I had an ’84 GTI back in the day and did enjoy it. Fun on track. And, yeah, it broke down a few times. (That adds adventure, right?)

DirtyBird222
DirtyBird222 PowerDork
11/20/23 9:40 a.m.

This. And then I was actually considering a Mk8 for a DD, but the lack of tactile controls for the HVAC turned me away. Plus you don't have to deal with Honda/Acura dealers thinking the CTR/ITS are made of pure gold. 

Then add in the bargain that Hyundai "N" models are and it pushes the VW option even further back on the list for some (me). 

chaparral
chaparral SuperDork
11/20/23 11:02 a.m.

Mine is for sale. 2015 Mk7 GTI SE, 6M, 320 hp, 17" wheels, trailer hitch, 154k miles, $10k, SoCal. Classifieds post coming. 

einy (Forum Supporter)
einy (Forum Supporter) Dork
11/20/23 11:42 a.m.

My 2011 Mk6 with manual transmission was my favorite car with respect to driving enjoyment that I ever had, but it was expensive to keep on the road relative to the plethora of Hondas that we also had / have.  Intake valve cleaning at 50k and ready for it again at 95k, replacement of a known bad timing chain tensioner (to the tune of $1,100) at 55k, replacement of the ignition switch assembly (would no longer turn when the key was in it) at 75k, and rust between the front fender bottoms / rocker panel tops noticed at 90k were the lowlights.  I recently drove a new 2023 also with manual transmission, and also enjoyed that experience, but man ... I just don't get the feeling that it would be any less costly to run vs. the 2011 that I had.  Which is a bummer.

ConiglioRampante
ConiglioRampante Reader
11/20/23 3:58 p.m.

Glad I got mine when I did (2019 Rabbit Edition)...aftermath of Dieselgate led to steep discounts and a 6 year/72,000 mile warranty.  

If I had to replace it though, I'd likely look at the N products from Hyundai (Elantra or maybe even a Kona) or maybe a Civic Si, but I'd likely spring for the Elantra N.  Those things are no joke as a performance vehicle.

I would prefer something smaller than the current crop of -I don't know how they're categorized- sport *compact* sedans.

Cousin_Eddie (Forum Supporter)
Cousin_Eddie (Forum Supporter) SuperDork
11/20/23 6:17 p.m.

Y'all go ahead. I've been spoiled by Honda and Toyota reliability. The sight of an illuminated "check engine" light is enough to put me in a bad mood. 

Datsun240ZGuy
Datsun240ZGuy MegaDork
11/20/23 8:45 p.m.

In reply to Cousin_Eddie (Forum Supporter) :

I got up at 5am a few Monday mornings ago with a 1200 mile Kentucky sales trip that week and when I left at 6am my CEL came on.  Makes for an edgy hoser.  

RacingComputers
RacingComputers GRM+ Memberand Reader
11/20/23 8:53 p.m.

Back in 18 o'shi (as Schrader liies to say)

Raced against the original GTi with a Dodge Shelley Charger

On a track like Nelson's Ledges they were very very equally matched.

At Mid Ohio, the Shelby would pull ahead by about 2 car lengths going  down the backstretch if we left the Key Hole side by side.

The Shelby went the way of the dodo, the GTI continues

YRMV

Tony Sestito
Tony Sestito UltimaDork
11/21/23 12:43 p.m.

Yeah, this. I've always wanted a GTI, and they are always in the mix when it's daily driver replacement time, but I too question the long term reliability. I have owned one VW - a 2002 Jetta GLS - and it was the worst car I have ever owned.

I'm currently living vicariously through my 21yo nephew and his ownership experience with a 2001 GTI VR6. When it's not broken, it's pretty great!

Maybe next time around, VW will get my money. Maybe. 

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
ucOumsmWcTYMREBJykR6j1s2NMJgs6QS0kHILHZMKmRs6Z2FEYFp8Eo44rVEBlyt