conesare2seconds
conesare2seconds Reader
8/24/12 10:58 a.m.

Cool thread: http://www.darkroastedblend.com/2012/08/awesome-vintage-ambulance-cars.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+TheThrillingWonderStory+%28Dark+Roasted+Blend%29

Shame so few service vehicles survive. They must have handled poorly, but some have a certain elegance to their lines.

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
8/24/12 11:06 a.m.

I'm having impure thoughts .....

Stealthtercel
Stealthtercel HalfDork
8/24/12 11:42 a.m.

The Citroen DS ambulance on that link totally rocks.

Also, can anybody tell me anything about the stretched '64 Olds sedan? I didn't know they did those.

stuart in mn
stuart in mn PowerDork
8/24/12 12:19 p.m.
Stealthtercel wrote: Also, can anybody tell me anything about the stretched '64 Olds sedan? I didn't know they did those.

Oldsmobiles were pretty uncommon but I've seen other makes (Pontiac in particular) that were turned into limos by Superior or one of the other ambulance/hearse manufacturers. If a funeral home had an Olds hearse I suppose they would have wanted to have a limo to match it.

A 1962 Pontiac flower car just sold recently on eBay, a 1 of 1 car: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1962-Pontiac-Flower-Car-Stageway-Armbruster-PROTOTYPE-Only-one-ever-built-1-0f-1-/251128195584?pt=US_Cars_Trucks&hash=item3a78682a00 It's a rust bucket but will be very cool if the new owner can restore it.

dculberson
dculberson Dork
8/24/12 12:52 p.m.

I used to have a 1966 Pontiac Superior hearse/ambulance combo. It was on the standard wheelbase but the high roof and commercial glass. It was top heavy but still handled about as well as any 60's Pontiac - big, heavy, but still had coil springs and tons of power. It was comfy and fast.

That was my car. I was young when I bought it and didn't know storing cars outside was horrible for them. I drove it as my only car for years and it rusted really badly around some poor body filler work. I finally realized it was beyond my talents to restore and sold it to a collector in MO. I believe there were around 150 of them made that year in the SWB high roof style.

I had the car for over 10 years and it was great.

The Ghostbusters thing came on the car along with a bunch of crap strapped to the roof. It was great for getting attention but I was going to repaint it without it.

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
8/24/12 1:31 p.m.

Vintage ambulances are interesting. Right now, prices seem fairly low. However, they can also be considered coachbuilt vehicles. Plus they're kind of cool.

Stealthtercel
Stealthtercel HalfDork
8/24/12 1:44 p.m.

Stuart, thanks for the info & link.

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/24/12 2:55 p.m.

I have a friend that has a restored '66 Caddy ambulance that he shows. It's cool, but it's huge. Detailing it inside and out is a never ending chore.

ValuePack
ValuePack Dork
8/24/12 3:41 p.m.

1957 Caddy Miller-Meteor Hearse

It's local, it's relatively cheap, and I want it real bad. SWMBO even approved.

conesare2seconds
conesare2seconds Reader
8/24/12 4:38 p.m.

In reply to ValuePack:

Maybe it's because it'sproportioned more like a traditional station wagon than are most hearses, I really like that one. Wowzers.

Duke
Duke PowerDork
8/24/12 4:53 p.m.

Coolest vehicle I've ever seen in my entire life was an early-'60s TravelAll ambulance in 4WD.

iceracer
iceracer UltraDork
8/27/12 10:53 a.m.

Saw a really nice Caddie Ambulance at the SAM.( Saratoga Auto Museum) on Sat. It had all of the ambulance trappings including made up stretcher. I didn't get a chance to check the vintage. It was a lawn gathering of Cadilacs.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
NsZJJPEKuNPJByDkFJGeyeYrv2vJQNO0uchoJ228b8nbSESTHPYiPdlNHWnEMalA