Jerry From LA
Jerry From LA Reader
1/8/09 7:13 p.m.

I'm working on the rear brakes of a 2006 Volvo S40 with the ATE caliper. The emergency brake uses the same piston so of course the piston has to be wound back into the caliper to make room for the new pads.

The driver's side went in no problem. The passenger side will not wind back in. The piston rotates freely, more so than the "good" side.

Is there some "trick" to getting the mechanism to engage or does this mean the caliper must be redone? I'm using quite a bit of force inward but have varied the amount of force to see if that would work.

Also, I disconnected the emergency brake cable and tried manipulating the e-brake lever to no avail.

Any feedback greatly appreciated.

jrw1621
jrw1621 Reader
1/8/09 7:15 p.m.

I have no direct knowledge on your issue but is at all possible that the other side has reverse threads? (turns the other way)

Junkyard_Dog
Junkyard_Dog Reader
1/8/09 7:32 p.m.

Last resort is opening the bleeder to get it back in. Do you have a shop manual? Maybe it has a tricky little retractor like a Miata caliper? Are you using a caliper tool to push and rotate at the same time? That tool is a must have!

aussiesmg
aussiesmg HalfDork
1/8/09 8:03 p.m.

Could the piston be over extended, if so you will need to rebuild it.

Jerry From LA
Jerry From LA Reader
1/8/09 8:14 p.m.

I remount the caliper temporarily to the frame and bolt it to the car with no rotor in place so I can apply force without the necessity of trying to keep the caliper still. I use a needle nose pliers and some inward force. The other one went back in no sweat. It doesn't feel like the mechanism is engaged because it rotates much more freely than the completed other side.

Jerry From LA
Jerry From LA Reader
1/8/09 8:23 p.m.

Oh yeah. I'm getting sicker by the minute with a fever as well.

Junkyard_Dog
Junkyard_Dog Reader
1/9/09 5:44 a.m.

Try THIS next time. As I said a must have for many cars.

Strizzo
Strizzo Dork
1/9/09 8:37 a.m.

suprised nobody has suggested a shotgun yet

Strizzo
Strizzo Dork
1/9/09 8:38 a.m.
Junkyard_Dog wrote: Try THIS next time. As I said a must have for many cars.

you should also be able to rent that at any auto parts store

Jerry From LA
Jerry From LA Reader
1/9/09 5:47 p.m.

Thanks for your comments, guys. Mr Dog, the Lisle tool does not fit the ATE caliper piston in this app. All the adapters are too big. However, the Astro Pneumatic model 7680 fits without using any of the included adapters at all. Thie two pins that hold the adapters worked just fine. Cost me about 50 bucks plus tax at California Tool.

Somehow, I was able to avoid buying one of these for the last 30 years I've dealt with rear disc calipers using an integral e-brake. This time, I met my match. Besides, I was so ill, my hands were trembling.

I started thinking, "Boy I'd pay 50 bucks if I could get this over with and go to BED. After that, buying the tool and being done with it was an easy leap.

BTW, tool rental in LA is few and far between. AutoZone rents the Lisle kit which does me no good.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
purc0cNt7S2kwacyfO9xqYALbOXdRSBJytKtfcmvz0sNX0LlefbJ2DwQVtTQWYx4