jezeus
jezeus Reader
9/9/08 9:59 p.m.

These cars seem cheap? exhibit a: http://stlouis.craigslist.org/ctd/834725081.html

Are they a good buy or is it a case of them costing $700 every time the CEL comes on?

Strizzo
Strizzo Dork
9/9/08 10:11 p.m.

the cars from the ford ownership years have the build quality of, well, a ford

car39
car39 Reader
9/10/08 7:59 a.m.

99's were a nightmare, by 01 they were better. It's a European luxury car, so a lot of expensive bits to break. The driveline is solid, check for bearing noises and leaky shocks.

bluesideup
bluesideup Reader
2/2/11 11:03 p.m.

Resurrecting an old thread. I've seen a number of these recently advertised as needing engine work. What goes wrong with these things?

11110000 Reader
2/3/11 6:10 a.m.
bluesideup wrote: Resurrecting an old thread. I've seen a number of these recently advertised as needing engine work. What goes wrong with these things?

Three engines - TT inline 6, NA inline 6, 2.5T inline 5.

The engines are robust. Coil packs can go bad and create subtle issues (throw a code, stumble, etc...) and people think they need major work. There was an ETM issue with the earliest cars ('99-'01, roughly).

The TT-6 likes to eat the GM 4spd automatic. Too much torque for the poor slushbox.

The 2.9L six has the same GM box, but is much gentler on it - unfortunately, it is also much slower.

The 2.5T 5 has more torque & HP than the 2.9, and was the only powerplant that gave you the option of AWD. This is what I picked.

You get a lot of car for your money. I went for the last year of the 1'st-gen S80, 2006, and got the updated GenIII Haldex system. I've had it a year now - did some fluid changes and a timing belt job, and have had zero issues with the car. It's big & soft, but it really hangs on in the corners and the torquey 2.5T is lively enough to be fun. Mileage is so-so; 27MPG hwy is not bad, but around town it's closer to 19-20MPG.

92CelicaHalfTrac
92CelicaHalfTrac SuperDork
2/3/11 7:01 a.m.
11110000 wrote: The TT-6

I stopped reading and went right about there.

Tell me more. Is there a manual trans that can be swapped easily? Is there anything that will hold the power? What is the potential of that motor?

Junkyard_Dog
Junkyard_Dog Dork
2/3/11 7:08 a.m.
bluesideup wrote: Resurrecting an old thread. I've seen a number of these recently advertised as needing engine work. What goes wrong with these things?

Broken timing belt causes internal carnage. For some reason people just don't maintain them.

DukeOfUndersteer
DukeOfUndersteer SuperDork
2/3/11 7:48 a.m.

i know the 850, S70, V70 like to burn valves and have PCV problems. You can usually pick one up for cheap, fix it kinda cheap, and resell it for $$$

So far, i have around $1200 in my Volvo. $500 for the car, $400 in a new head, $300 in PCV system, timing belt kit, gasket set. Can probably sell it for $2,500 now...

bluesideup
bluesideup Reader
2/3/11 1:57 p.m.
Junkyard_Dog wrote: Broken timing belt causes internal carnage. For some reason people just don't maintain them.

Are we talking generally holed pistons or can you usually get away with a rebuilt head?

What are the designations to look for in pictures between the three different engines?

Edit: I'm guessing T6 means twin turbo 6. According to wikipedia they came with the world's smallest manual transmission in 5 or 6 speed flavor. Is this a case of Americans only getting slushboxes or did we get some manual trans cars too?

Too bad most of them are wrong wheel drive too.

clutchsmoke
clutchsmoke New Reader
2/3/11 2:13 p.m.

I want one of the newer V70Rs so bad... That inline 5 sounds SO good at full song. From what I've read getting too rough with the AWD results in a broken angle gear.

Edit: Yes we got 6 speed manuals on the V70, S60, and S40. Slush only on S80.

Rusted_Busted_Spit
Rusted_Busted_Spit GRM+ Memberand Dork
2/3/11 2:25 p.m.

You could get the manuals on the S60R also.

bluesideup
bluesideup Reader
2/3/11 6:52 p.m.

I've driven the S60R and really liked it even if the shifter was a bit vague. The V70R is a really sweet ride. It sounds like the DNA is a bit distant from those two cars.

Vigo
Vigo Dork
2/3/11 9:36 p.m.

My mom bought one (on my car buying advice among what was available) last year.

An 03 2.9 auto fwd.

So far ive put a timing belt on it, fixed a seat belt, sorta fixed the turn signal switch, and must do control arm bushings very soon. It has not been terribly hard to work on, but it does seem to be a lot of things that have popped up in the short time she's had it.

I love the way the car drives, and i love the HELL out of the styling. It's an interesting, kinda weird car in that it doesnt drive soft-lux, in fact it's kind of twitchy compared to how it looks. Anyway, i LOVE the responsiveness of the motor/trans combo. It may not be a powerhouse but it's tuned and integrated to keep you happy 97% of the time. I really think it's wonderfully done, regardless of the hp numbers.

They look best in black.

bluesideup
bluesideup Reader
2/3/11 11:26 p.m.

I would think it would be a looker with a more aggressive wheel and tire package too, something OEM Plus or even BBS LM replicas (honestly what doesn't look good on those?).

I like the design philosophy of a car with strong shoulders to emphasize safety that was used on the 60s, 70s, & 80s during the early 2000s.

bluesideup
bluesideup Reader
2/4/11 12:06 a.m.

Interwebs Ninja techniques resulted in this.

11110000 Reader
2/4/11 6:00 a.m.

Yeah, no manual box in the US. The complicated electronic network makes big changes like transmissions more difficult. To be honest, a stick just doesn't suit this car as well - it's more about high velocity cruising than driving in anger.

Another nice example:

Tim Baxter
Tim Baxter SuperDork
2/4/11 7:16 a.m.

Plus, as the owner of a stick-shift-equipped Volvo, the manual box is pretty vague. It works, and I've used worse, but it's definitely not a happy funtime gearbox.

Then again, I STILL like it better than the slushbox.

I'd look at the S60. Manual AND AWD avaialble, same engines as the S80, and it's lighter.

Vigo
Vigo Dork
2/4/11 11:16 a.m.
bluesideup wrote: Interwebs Ninja techniques resulted in this.

That is my mom's car + wheels.. but honestly her factory 17s look pretty dang good already.

I'd look at the S60. Manual AND AWD avaialble, same engines as the S80, and it's lighter.

I used to think i liked the s60 more than the s80 until i found the one my mom bought. black and tan is FTMFW imo, i like the styling better, i like the room better, i love the 2.9 (possibly plus turbos), and now i think the only s60 that i'd take over an s80 would be a v70r or MAYBE a XC70.

pigeon
pigeon Dork
2/4/11 11:35 a.m.

Volvo does have some nice interior options. Shamelessly hotlinked pic of the Chestnut Brown "Soverign Hide" leather option that we have on the Wife's XC90 - buttery soft and oh so pretty with the dark blue exterior. Crazy expensive though - $1800 option when it was new.

pigeon
pigeon Dork
2/4/11 11:39 a.m.

My hotlink skills fail apparently.

4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury SuperDork
2/4/11 12:35 p.m.
pigeon wrote: Volvo does have some nice interior options. Shamelessly hotlinked pic of the Chestnut Brown "Soverign Hide" leather option that we have on the Wife's XC90 - buttery soft and oh so pretty with the dark blue exterior. Crazy expensive though - $1800 option when it was new.

right click the actual image and copy the image location - PB puts some random junk in their addresses when youre viewing in their website

Vigo
Vigo Dork
2/4/11 11:31 p.m.

sexay

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
RP0eep6f1ILL3CoauWF45nmaxlWW0mYiWiLczmKI6uG3OeZszEdmSDoB7PwPNONW