914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
12/1/13 9:11 a.m.

My son's 2011 Jetta had a shimmy that his local wrench could not solve. I loaned him my Jetta for a few days while I sent his to my guy. He runs factory alloys in the summer and factory steelies with snows in winter.

The answer is that he had a mishmash of lug bolt types. All were replaced with new ball type for his steel wheels.

I posed this question to a VW Forum, made up mostly of young broke local college guys, and got too many answers and a bit of lip.

I assumed the ball type was used on steelies and tapered on the alloys. I determined this by eye balling the chamfer inside the wheel.

Any experience, thoughts? Suggestions?

Dan

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/1/13 9:15 a.m.

alloy bolts should be longer than the ones for the steelies. I am also sure that VW uses hubcentric mounting and not bolt centric.. but who knows.. did putting the correct bolts on the car cure the shimmy?

nhmercracer
nhmercracer New Reader
12/1/13 9:28 a.m.

It is my belief both factory alloys and steelies use a radius bolt. Aftermarket use cone seats.

Ian F
Ian F UltimaDork
12/1/13 10:01 a.m.

Hmm... not sure about a 2011, but my 2003 Jetta goes between alloy and steel wheels using the same lug bolts without issue.

tpwalsh
tpwalsh Reader
12/1/13 10:10 a.m.
nhmercracer wrote: It is my belief both factory alloys and steelies use a radius bolt. Aftermarket use cone seats.

This way my experience with my 05 gti.

ditchdigger
ditchdigger SuperDork
12/1/13 11:21 a.m.

Yep. VW has been ball lug since the 70's.

jimbbski
jimbbski HalfDork
12/1/13 6:14 p.m.
ditchdigger wrote: Yep. VW has been ball lug since the 70's.

This! When I went with studs instead of bolts I had to buy a set of ball nuts to fit the OEM wheels to the car but cone lugs for the aftermarket wheel that I used for racing.

audifan
audifan Reader
12/1/13 7:31 p.m.

nhmercracer has it correct if you have a cone seat on the steelies then they are not factory VW wheels. Factory Alloy lugs will work on alloys or factory steels.

Paul_VR6
Paul_VR6 HalfDork
12/1/13 9:08 p.m.

Agreed here on all ball seat for oem. If your steelies are acorn, they are non-stock wheels.

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
12/2/13 5:39 a.m.

Putting brandy new ball type on all four wheels corrected most of the shimmy. I understand the remaining chatter (barely perceptible) is due to cheap snow tires.

He bought the car from a Stealership and never noticed the difference in lug bolt. Some were ball, some were conical.

Thanks guys!

Dan

noddaz
noddaz GRM+ Memberand Dork
12/2/13 6:41 a.m.
nhmercracer wrote: It is my belief both factory alloys and steelies use a radius bolt. Aftermarket use cone seats.

This and only this.
Which reminds me that I need to put 4 stock lug bolts in with my spare.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
x4J7vF4qUjdw20rnaLrsoPrYsfPrRAxb7ZYTWrmzltiGKrHAijKgNn9fWhZh9pV2