Nomad
Nomad New Reader
5/28/08 12:42 a.m.

Poor attempt at rhyming.... :omg:

So I'm just thinking about random project car ideas, sub $1000 buy in with $1000 more to put into some refresh and stripping it down and selling parts off.

So I'm a beginner engine rebuilder, only done head refurb so far on a BMW M42 but am willing to rebuild an engine for the fun of it/project aspect.

How hard is the rotary to work on? I know it's a different animal but does it take a unique skillset/big wallet and unique tools to freshen up a wankel?

Should I stick with pistons as a beginner?

BTW, my first passion would be miata, but I started thinking of old RX-7. Maybe I'll do a RXV8?

joshx99
joshx99 New Reader
5/28/08 12:47 a.m.

Spec rx7 is dirt cheap compared to other classes.

Osterkraut
Osterkraut New Reader
5/28/08 1:49 a.m.

Rotaries are easy to rebuild. They sound cool. They rev. Like crazy.

bluej
bluej GRM+ Memberand Reader
5/28/08 7:21 a.m.
Osterkraut wrote: Rotaries are easy to rebuild. They sound cool. They rev. Like crazy.

lalalalallaalaaaa not listening..... crap, maybe i am. :twisted:

Jensenman
Jensenman SuperDork
5/28/08 7:26 a.m.

You can pick them up dirt cheap because people are scared to death of them. Hint: get something with a 13B, the supply of 12A stuff is drying up.

Easy to rebuild, rev like crazy, sound cool, compact, what's not to like? :nice:

belteshazzar
belteshazzar Dork
5/28/08 10:11 a.m.

I bought a mild 350 and 700r4 for $550 total that's what:twisted:

Chris_V
Chris_V SuperDork
5/28/08 10:21 a.m.

it's a good thing they (rotaries) are easy to rebuild, 'cause you'll have to do it a lot, especially if you are rebuilding it yourself with low priced parts... :twisted:

And especially if you, while having it apart and in front of you, realize just how easy it is to port it "just a little bit, nothing crazy..."

And definitely, never ever look at this page: remember, I warned you

Jensenman
Jensenman SuperDork
5/28/08 1:23 p.m.
Chris_V wrote: it's a good thing they (rotaries) are easy to rebuild, 'cause you'll have to do it a lot, especially if you are rebuilding it yourself with low priced parts... :twisted: And especially if you, while having it apart and in front of you, realize just how easy it is to port it "just a little bit, nothing crazy..." And definitely, never ever look at this page: remember, I warned you

You just HAD to link that page, didn't you? :evil: Now I'm gonna be hunting another 13B.

Gearhead_42
Gearhead_42 HalfDork
5/28/08 1:46 p.m.

Dang it, now you made me go order the last internal bits I wanted for my 4 port 13b

There go the rest of my evenings this month...

:twisted:

Edit: Anybody recommend a good (easy to obtain) lapping medium? I've got the glass, just need the abrasive...

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
S9gCm7FEjonRWqWWr1Vp88BgQJXSGAo2LLhpoebmEgLRB8COvlnG0Kh6BSZzU7Sb