1 2
Vracer111
Vracer111 Reader
5/26/15 11:57 p.m.

Scion FRS vs Mustang GT...

Strap in for a wild ride... this is what speedvision was like back in the day - nice and exciting to watch!

gamby
gamby UltimaDork
5/27/15 12:38 a.m.

Damn, that was a helluva dogfight. She's a helluva driver. Had the huevos to brake pretty damn late.

Good stuff.

pinchvalve
pinchvalve GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/27/15 8:02 a.m.

I could not stand that, I have no patience for evenly matched cars. Give me 200% more power and get the hell out of my way! In addition to the driving skill she showed, she also had a great deal of fortitude. She was not frazzled by the spin, she didn't get pissed at the other driver for blocking her, she just kept putting in consistent laps regardless. IMHO, that shows a lot of mental skill, skills that I do not possess.

bgkast
bgkast GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
5/27/15 10:54 a.m.

Well fought. Did the Mustang contact her and spin her out?

wbjones
wbjones MegaDork
5/27/15 4:59 p.m.

guess I'm not seeing what everyone else is … I see her car with front end damage, especially right front finder/bumper damage …

I didn't see the Mustang driver doing any blocking .. I saw him driving his line … maybe blocking a bit by driving the middle of the track .. (which he should) but not suddenly changing lines to block her

I saw her way over driving trying her best to punt him and actually spinning herself

congrats to her for winning … she had a faster car … from my viewpoint, she shouldn't have had to work that hard to pass him and stay in front …

the stay in front bit shows up by how easily she caught back up after spinning each time

then again maybe I'm just not a good enough driver to understand what was going on there … though I do see her as a Johnny O'Connel and the Mustang driver as a Mike Skeen

Zomby Woof
Zomby Woof PowerDork
5/27/15 5:50 p.m.

At some point you have to admit to yourself that you're holding the other car back and just let it by.

NGTD
NGTD UltraDork
5/27/15 5:57 p.m.

I'm pretty sure that at least one of those spins, she had some help.

wbjones
wbjones MegaDork
5/27/15 6:19 p.m.
NGTD wrote: I'm pretty sure that at least one of those spins, she had some help.

really ???? someone hit her from behind and spun her ?

all the damage on either car was her front right bumper … results from her dive bomb attempts to take the corner …

every rule set I've ever read don't give her ANY right to any of those passes … with the exceptions of the times she made the passes, she was never any closer than his rear quarter … not counting the times they went through the corners side by side …those were very good examples of hard-side-by-side racing … those were done without touching

the dive bombs weren't … again just my opinion

NGTD
NGTD UltraDork
5/27/15 7:35 p.m.

It's hard to tell from an in-car, but I'm pretty sure that the 2nd spin was assisted.

Did you watch all the way to the end? Officials were coming up and asking her if she wanted to protest the guy in the Mustang. You can here them on the video.

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker MegaDork
5/27/15 7:49 p.m.
Zomby Woof wrote: At some point you have to admit to yourself that you're holding the other car back and just let it by.

Not if you don't want to you don't. I only let someone by if I have no chance of actually beating them or they are in a class fight (and not in my class). The "racing" part you pay the bucks for is all in the ability to ruthlessly overtake or defend. If they can't get by, they aren't fast/smart/good enough to take and keep the spot. You can't ever give up on a close fight - they might spin or use up their tires trying to push to overtake you... etc. Although... sometimes you can let them by so you can push them into using up the tires while you watch to see where they are weak if you think you can pounce again before the last lap and make it stick.

FWIW, My favorite part of that was watching the SRFs walk away. Those two in the tin tops were actually racing in slow motion.

wbjones
wbjones MegaDork
5/27/15 7:50 p.m.
NGTD wrote: It's hard to tell from an in-car, but I'm pretty sure that the 2nd spin was assisted. Did you watch all the way to the end? Officials were coming up and asking her if she wanted to protest the guy in the Mustang. You can here them on the video.

yes … all the way to the end … couldn't figure out what they meant … but maybe front bumper alongside rear quarter = it's your corner … if so … glad I don't race with them

Vracer111
Vracer111 Reader
5/27/15 8:47 p.m.
wbjones wrote:
NGTD wrote: I'm pretty sure that at least one of those spins, she had some help.
really ???? someone hit her from behind and spun her ? all the damage on either car was her front right bumper … results from her dive bomb attempts to take the corner … every rule set I've ever read don't give her ANY right to any of those passes … with the exceptions of the times she made the passes, she was never any closer than his rear quarter … not counting the times they went through the corners side by side …those were very good examples of hard-side-by-side racing … those were done without touching the dive bombs weren't … again just my opinion

I don't think there was any taps from the rear, but the second spin resulted from the mustang coming further in than expected in the middle of hard cornering and her trying to get on the inside.

Vigo
Vigo PowerDork
5/27/15 9:15 p.m.

Interesting to see how little track difference there is between a FRSBRS and a base model 2 generation old mustang with a v6 from an explorer on stock-width wheels.

HiTempguy
HiTempguy UberDork
5/27/15 9:27 p.m.

No? No one is going to bring up the fact she passed him on the outside??

SHE TOM CRUISE'D IT!!!!

Harry Hogge: Cole, you're in third place, that's a respectable position. Now when they slow down for turn four, I want you to pass them on the outside.

Cole Trickle: Harry, you told me nobody passes on the outside in turn four!

Harry Hogge: Well now, I'm telling you different. If you go to the outside, you can hold it.

https://youtu.be/JHkM4OUkF8E

Will
Will SuperDork
5/27/15 9:32 p.m.

In reply to Vigo:

Yeah, the rear bumper, decklid emblem and black rocker panels make that look like a V6 Mustang, not a GT.

NGTD
NGTD UltraDork
5/27/15 10:45 p.m.

In reply to HiTempguy:

I actually thought that was a damn good pass!

DeadSkunk
DeadSkunk UltraDork
5/28/15 6:37 a.m.

I thought the Mustang ran wide a couple of times and then chopped back to his left pretty abruptly. Even though the FRS wasn't up even at that instant the chops weren't warranted. If you leave a car width on the inside you should expect to see a car fill it at some point. When I raced I'd give the corner if I could see the nose of an overtaking car, but then I was paying for my own crash damage.

westsidetalon
westsidetalon Reader
5/28/15 8:58 a.m.

Looked like a typical regional race on any given Sunday

BBsGarage
BBsGarage HalfDork
5/28/15 10:56 a.m.

I'm curious as to how she could pull up to him so fast after spinning, but then couldn't put any distance on him once she got by.

tuna55
tuna55 UltimaDork
5/28/15 11:16 a.m.
DeadSkunk wrote: I thought the Mustang ran wide a couple of times and then chopped back to his left pretty abruptly. Even though the FRS wasn't up even at that instant the chops weren't warranted. If you leave a car width on the inside you should expect to see a car fill it at some point. When I raced I'd give the corner if I could see the nose of an overtaking car, but then I was paying for my own crash damage.

This.

He left 3/4 of a lane in that left hander two or three times when she was pretty clearly alongside.

Good driving, I am amazed at her recovery after the spin.

I am puzzled at how the Mustang was able to catch her after the first pass, the FRS seemed to lap much faster.

SyntheticBlinkerFluid
SyntheticBlinkerFluid UltimaDork
5/28/15 12:01 p.m.
BBsGarage wrote: I'm curious as to how she could pull up to him so fast after spinning, but then couldn't put any distance on him once she got by.

I was curious about that too. She had no trouble catching back up to the mustang, but trying to stay ahead proved to be difficult

wbjones
wbjones MegaDork
5/28/15 12:03 p.m.
Vracer111 wrote:
wbjones wrote:
really ???? someone hit her from behind and spun her ? all the damage on either car was her front right bumper … results from her dive bomb attempts to take the corner … every rule set I've ever read don't give her ANY right to any of those passes … with the exceptions of the times she made the passes, she was never any closer than his rear quarter … not counting the times they went through the corners side by side …those were very good examples of hard-side-by-side racing … those were done without touching the dive bombs weren't … again just my opinion
I don't think there was any taps from the rear, but the second spin resulted from the mustang coming further in than expected in the middle of hard cornering and her trying to get on the inside.

that's my point … she had damage on her front rt fender/bumper … on her spins she was never past his rear quarter (actually not even that far up on him) … at least that's how I saw it as I watched

was she faster than him ? yep … was she able to pass him ? yep … just don't see all the praise for "what a great drive" or what she had reason for a protest … guess I just didn't see it as him blocking … all I was seeing was him taking his line into the corners and she was trying to dive bomb/intimidate him into giving up the line …

they did race very well side by side several times .. with her coming out ahead a couple of times as did he … no contact … the only contact (I saw) was her attempts to dive bomb him

Flight Service
Flight Service MegaDork
5/28/15 12:08 p.m.

what times are the spins in the vid

wbjones
wbjones MegaDork
5/28/15 12:13 p.m.

it's a 50 min long video .. if I have time this evening I'll watch it again and try to pinpoint the spins

and for all y'all that think she's the E36 M3s, I'll re-watch and try to see it from your POF

but for now, I don't think I'd want to race against her with an equal car … but maybe I just don't know how important the win was to the 2 of them ….

Zomby Woof
Zomby Woof PowerDork
5/28/15 12:17 p.m.
Giant Purple Snorklewacker wrote:
Zomby Woof wrote: At some point you have to admit to yourself that you're holding the other car back and just let it by.
Not if you don't want to you don't.

Well, if you believe in good sportsmanship... I will do what he did in practice, minus the dirty little brake checks (not sure what you cal them, but letting off to upset the other drivers rhythm) on turn exit, but I will make the other driver/rider work for the pass. That's what practice is all about. During the race, when it's that obvious that I'm holding someone back, especially if there are cars in front that they can probably also beat, I do the right thing and let them go. We all pay to race. Let the other drivers race too.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
QmgJgvYDc1Ll2WH10hPmeBwnMSJcI9MFMRdAbRQjQkrdbYcDjk9aOzV1IIuukRLO