1 ... 3 4 5 6
84FSP
84FSP Dork
1/24/18 12:34 p.m.
Daylan C said:

I haven't been IN one, but I can confirm that Danny Popp's car is VERY loud and I assume he wears ear plugs when he races it. 

That is pretty much the dumb decision I'd make with a C3 though. They also look cool on vans. 

Danny's C3 is indeed obnoxiously loud in the best way. Definitely not a daily but pure awesome on the autox course.

Madhatr
Madhatr Reader
1/24/18 12:37 p.m.

In reply to dannyzabolotny :

It's funny how people's tastes differ. I looked at 78 but like the earlier interiors better.... however bubble backs with the chromie tail exist and they are GORGEOUS!! I would be doing that myself if I had one. 

I have that 76tub that might need to be built... this monster keeps me up at night laugh

dannyzabolotny
dannyzabolotny Reader
1/24/18 12:38 p.m.

My C5 is obnoxiously loud too, with loads of drone. For short drives I'm okay with it, and for longer drives I just wear earplugs. It does sometimes get annoying not being able to listen to music, but that's why I have a much quieter daily for when I want to just relax.

I have a friend that's been daily driving a newer Pontiac GTO with dumps right before where the cats would be, so it's even more obnoxious than mine. Somehow he's okay with it.

boaty mcfailface
boaty mcfailface UberDork
1/24/18 1:24 p.m.

nothing to add here except this

MotorsportsGordon
MotorsportsGordon New Reader
1/24/18 1:54 p.m.

Here’s a more recent picture of my dads car,it’s had those western wheels on it since he changed the engine. The tires themselves are now obsolete as they are 265/50/r15.

Bobcougarzillameister
Bobcougarzillameister MegaDork
1/24/18 2:49 p.m.
Daylan C said:

I haven't been IN one, but I can confirm that Danny Popp's car is VERY loud and I assume he wears ear plugs when he races it. 

That is pretty much the dumb decision I'd make with a C3 though. They also look cool on vans. 

I won't lie, this picture gives me a chubby. 

A 401 CJ
A 401 CJ GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
1/24/18 4:51 p.m.
Madhatr said:
dannyzabolotny said:

I loved reading your C3 thread, by the way. Very inspirational stuff!

Thank you. I love this group, because what is insane anywhere else is normal here. 

Depending on your budget, if you went with a later car you can feel less guilty about making it your own. This is my buddies 76 with 73 nose & tail conversion plus Custom Image Corvette fender flares.

It is probably one of the coolest custom c3 I have seen. 

That's definitely the sharpest '76 I've seen and might even be close to the sharpest C3 I've seen.  Damn it Madnatr!!  You keep this up and I'm going to be wanting one again.  I thought I had sworn the darn things off for good.

Madhatr
Madhatr Reader
1/24/18 6:39 p.m.

In reply to A 401 CJ :

Lol, you might want to avert your eyes then devil

(Pics from Custom Image Corvettes)

dannyzabolotny
dannyzabolotny Reader
1/24/18 10:05 p.m.

That. Is. Awesome!

Are those full custom body builds or just like restomods?

Madhatr
Madhatr Reader
1/25/18 7:57 a.m.
dannyzabolotny said:

That. Is. Awesome!

Are those full custom body builds or just like restomods?

Not sure that I fully understand the question, but they are modified customer cars. CIC has their own line of body panels (Not full bodies). They also specialize in LS swaps and RideTec suspension upgrades.

Bonus, Josh and Jessica of there are super nice, and very helpfull.

wspohn
wspohn Dork
1/25/18 2:27 p.m.

I had never understood the widespread fascination with Corvettes, even though 2 or 3 friends owned them and a couple of them road raced them.

They were ill handling obnoxiously loud cars that had styling that was undeniably appealing, but actually driving one as a daily driver was like trying to drift a truck. Really.

Although pretty confirmed in this opinion, when the C7 came out it was a revelation. They are great cars, well desitned with everything you'd want - handling, balance, good looks and excellent power.  And they make everything that came before look instantly antiquated. I doubt I'd ever buy a Corvette, but the C7 is one I'd actually consider.  Running a C3 as a serious driver is almost inconceivable to me - the shortcomings of the design would irk me no end and the looks wouldn't make up for that.  But to each his own preference, I guess.

Guess you don't want to save up for a nice used C7....?

dannyzabolotny
dannyzabolotny Reader
1/25/18 3:10 p.m.
wspohn said:

I had never understood the widespread fascination with Corvettes, even though 2 or 3 friends owned them and a couple of them road raced them.

They were ill handling obnoxiously loud cars that had styling that was undeniably appealing, but actually driving one as a daily driver was like trying to drift a truck. Really.

Although pretty confirmed in this opinion, when the C7 came out it was a revelation. They are great cars, well desitned with everything you'd want - handling, balance, good looks and excellent power.  And they make everything that came before look instantly antiquated. I doubt I'd ever buy a Corvette, but the C7 is one I'd actually consider.  Running a C3 as a serious driver is almost inconceivable to me - the shortcomings of the design would irk me no end and the looks wouldn't make up for that.  But to each his own preference, I guess.

Obnoxious loudness is an appealing trait to me, haha.

I don't really like the C7. Yes it handles better and is a good all-around car, but it doesn't really look like a Corvette— it's like a Ferrari wannabe. Plus I don't want a newer car. The newest car in my fleet is from 2000, and I'd like to keep it that way. I'm also a cheapskate so unless I wait until the C7 is a $6k car, I wouldn't be able to buy one anyways. I'm not into spending 5 digits on any car, I much prefer something cheap that I can fix and upgrade myself in my garage.

Again, I don't plan on racing a C3— my BMW wagon is a far better track car in every way. I just want a C3 as a project and a cruiser, and maybe an occasional drag racer. Ideally it would be something I could take to a twisty mountain road, along with doing burnouts every single chance I get (my BMW doesn't like burnouts and its tires are $$$).

MotorsportsGordon
MotorsportsGordon Reader
1/25/18 3:16 p.m.
wspohn said:

Just like any old sports car aswell guess no one should have old sports cars either and just buy new ones.

Dirtydog
Dirtydog GRM+ Memberand Reader
1/25/18 3:47 p.m.

If this what you want, and can swing it, do it.   Try it on for size and see if you like it.  Just a quick look at these C3's, and some are commanding a high tariff.  I found a couple that are clapped out for $2500- $4000.  Some are going into orbit.  Perhaps a trade, your Vette for a C3?

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/25/18 3:50 p.m.
dannyzabolotny said:
Mndsm said:

Buy c3 shell. Apply c5 engine. 

I don't want an LS, as sacrilegious as it may sound. I want a small block/big block with a carb, I want zero computers of any kind. All mechanical is what I'm aiming for.

sure you do not want the K&N electronic choke?

dannyzabolotny
dannyzabolotny Reader
1/25/18 4:01 p.m.
Dirtydog said:

If this what you want, and can swing it, do it.   Try it on for size and see if you like it.  Just a quick look at these C3's, and some are commanding a high tariff.  I found a couple that are clapped out for $2500- $4000.  Some are going into orbit.  Perhaps a trade, your Vette for a C3?

That's probably not a bad idea, I really should drive one before I looking into seriously buying one. Time to go find somebody that's willing to let me drive one in the Phoenix area.

Dirtydog
1/25/18 4:30 p.m.

Roger that.  May get in it and feel WTF.  In 1981, I was shopping for a Monte Carlo, sat in and test drove a Vette.   Didn't like it, seating was not comfy, and I walked away with the impression it was more like a mini Eldorado than a sports car.   But that was a long time ago.  Check one out, may be love at first sight.  Good luck.

dannyzabolotny
dannyzabolotny Reader
1/25/18 4:46 p.m.
Dirtydog said:

Roger that.  May get in it and feel WTF.  In 1981, I was shopping for a Monte Carlo, sat in and test drove a Vette.   Didn't like it, seating was not comfy, and I walked away with the impression it was more like a mini Eldorado than a sports car.   But that was a long time ago.  Check one out, may be love at first sight.  Good luck.

I mean I've sat in one, but it was an earlier model (a 1974, I think?). I liked the overall look and feel of the interior, but I didn't get to drive it. At this point I definitely know that I love the interior and exterior, so now I need to actually drive one and see how it feels.

Madhatr
Madhatr Reader
1/25/18 6:10 p.m.

In reply to dannyzabolotny :

To bad you are not closer... You could come goon the Dirtball around

Madhatr
Madhatr Reader
1/25/18 6:30 p.m.
wspohn said:

That is the rub with Corvette... the new Generation is always better than the last in almost everyway.  It really depends on what you are expecting. Are you looking for the razor edge, or knuckle dragging American muscle?

For me, it's about the price of the ticket... I could have a C3 for every day of the week for the price of a C7. I also couldn't drive one in a Midwest winter and I couldn't RallyCross one (all though I would probably try)

dannyzabolotny
dannyzabolotny Reader
1/25/18 6:39 p.m.
Madhatr said:

That is the rub with Corvette... the new Generation is always better than the last in almost everyway.  It really depends on what you are expecting. Are you looking for the razor edge, or knuckle dragging American muscle?

For me, it's about the price of the ticket... I could have a C3 for every day of the week for the price of a C7. I also couldn't drive one in a Midwest winter and I couldn't RallyCross one (all though I would probably try)

I specifically want some knuckle-dragging American muscle, haha. I've owned cars with 400hp and sub-5 second 0-60 times, and my daily driver has a 300hp V8. I'm not chasing after ultimate speed here, just something with attitude that puts a smile on my face. I wouldn't mind an older, slower Corvette if it meant I could push it to 10/10 without getting a stack of traffic tickets. That's my main issue with the C5— it's too good at going fast.

Vigo
Vigo UltimaDork
1/25/18 10:28 p.m.

The tires themselves are now obsolete as they are 265/50/r15.

Not entirely..

Only reason i know this is because im considering using them on the front of my full size van. Probably a more fitting app for that sort of tire than a sports car, but then again i'm not sure they'd be any worse than the Radial T/A ever was.

dannyzabolotny
dannyzabolotny Reader
1/25/18 10:57 p.m.

So I posted about this in an Arizona Corvette group and this one nice Corvette shop owner told me I could swing by and drive his 1971 with a 350 and a 4-speed. He's also got a badass 1981 with a 509 in it, should be fun to look at that as well (not driving that though, way too much for me).

Dirtydog
1/26/18 8:17 a.m.

There you go.  Time to start some knuckle dragging.  Put some feelers out, maybe a nice trade or a decent deal is on the horizon.  Sometimes word of mouth gets the deal done.  Good luck.

Madhatr
Madhatr Reader
1/26/18 12:14 p.m.

I do know of 76 with some up grades that is for sale for 4k, but it is Nebraska.

1 ... 3 4 5 6

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
RtMkA2dlDZjaa6advWGjZ5QYx9TO3C5ETncjQdFJha8CxGKtxymj28bbbQhRgFpU