1 2 3 4 ... 14
nocones
nocones GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
8/1/23 12:12 p.m.

Is this the thread where you reveal to us the F150 Lightnings FIRM laptime?  I KNOW you are going to run it at least 1 time..   .   This is important information.

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
8/1/23 12:24 p.m.
maschinenbau said:
Javelin said:

e-tron GT:

I've seen these on the road and had to do a double-take it was so drool-worthy. Much better looking than any other EV sedan, including the Taycan which I find kinda ugly. 

I see one of these most mornings. It, like most audi's, is a very sexy car.

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
8/1/23 12:30 p.m.
racerfink said:
bobzilla said:

Maybe we limit it to ACTUAL production cars and not news releases of things not yet in existence? That would probably fix most of the issues. 

Speaking of, did y'all get to spend any time with the Ioniq 5 N?

Hyundai/Kia have a class action lawsuit against them for their Level 2 charging problems.  The charger connection becomes too hot, and effectively shuts down the charging.  If I remember right, the software update slows the charging significantly when the connection becomes heated.  People are suing because they aren't getting the Level 2 that they paid for.

I had not heard that. I wonder if its location dependent (like southern/southwestern states?). Cause it gets a little hotter in some places than others. Hell my iPhail will stop charging because it gets to hot in the sunlight at times. 

GIRTHQUAKE
GIRTHQUAKE UltraDork
8/1/23 12:37 p.m.
mblommel said:

Only three wheels, so banned from autox and such GRM activities but still possibly fun. Seems like you have to go 3-wheeler nowadays on anything new to get a sub-1000lb curb weight due to all the safety legislation on cars.

Why are three wheelers banned for autocross?

triumph7
triumph7 HalfDork
8/1/23 12:44 p.m.
GIRTHQUAKE said:
mblommel said:

Only three wheels, so banned from autox and such GRM activities but still possibly fun. Seems like you have to go 3-wheeler nowadays on anything new to get a sub-1000lb curb weight due to all the safety legislation on cars.

Maybe this....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QXCq-EuHXHE

dyintorace
dyintorace GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
8/1/23 1:04 p.m.

We're 1 month in with our Ioniq 6. I like it so far.

singleslammer
singleslammer PowerDork
8/1/23 1:07 p.m.

I got to drive a couple of the BMW offerings at the Ultimate driving thing. The i4 M50 and the iX M60. Damn, they are rocket ships (old news). However, I also got to drive an 330e and frankly liked it better in most ways. The i styling is silly and I could REALLY feel the weight difference between the 330e and i4.

I love my Bolt and for all of my normal driving it is fantastic. One pedal driving is a marvel and all cars need it (at least PHEVs need it). My wife and I have to readjust to our Sienna every time we switch cars.

kanaric
kanaric SuperDork
8/1/23 1:13 p.m.

When EVs get supercapacitors that allow much faster charging and 500 mile range versions are not ultra-expensive i'd consider an EV. 

The reason why I would want such a huge range is simply because when I drive an EV hard the battery charge goes down VERY quickly. I drove a friend's Tesla and it "sucked gas", relatively speaking, more than my Skyline when it's on it's E85 tune when we drove it like that. 

I don't care about sound or anything like that. Just give me an exciting car with good range. Like that Hyundai sports car EV they've been showing. If that was a Hyundai price I would be on that immediately. 

Driven5
Driven5 UberDork
8/1/23 2:42 p.m.

In reply to kanaric :

Isn't that kind of like saying when you drive a ZL1 hard the range goes down faster than when you drive a Miata hard? The heavier and more powerful the car is, the faster it will consume energy at WOT. Regardless of EV or ICE, a longer rated range only increases the WOT range if you don't equivalently increase the rate of consumption. Based on current trends, a 500 mile battery EV will just as likely have equivalently higher maximum motor output than a 400 mile battery EV, not only making it even faster, but also largely negating the additional rated range at WOT.

I'm curious how much better the Tesla range might hold out when restricted to similar acceleration as your Skyline... Or better yet, turn the boost up to Tesla performance and see how the E85 flows. laugh

As far as I can tell, it sounds like we're closer to solid state batteries than we are (giga?) capacitors... Which, either way, I agree will be a VERY important advancement. Then the big (non electricity based) thing we'll be missing are some genuinely 'cool' EV designs.

mblommel
mblommel GRM+ Memberand Dork
8/1/23 3:06 p.m.
triumph7 said:
GIRTHQUAKE said:
mblommel said:

Maybe this....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QXCq-EuHXHE

Yeah, there are definitely reasons, but don't three wheelers participate in motorsports in the UK? The Vanderhall definitely isn't motorsports targeted, but could be a lot of fun. 

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
8/1/23 3:57 p.m.

I like this thread. My better half is getting the itch to replace the Mazda 3 with something she wants. I think an EV would be perfect (with her new commute I think she could go two weeks without charging), but she really wants a Mini Cooper S convertible. 

Tom1200
Tom1200 PowerDork
8/1/23 4:06 p.m.

The two hurdles for me when it comes to EVs are:

1. The price; note I'm cheaper than cheap, 25K is the my cutoff for any vehicle regardless of use.

2. The weight; I race a 1600lb car and a 780lb car, even my daily station wagon is only 3400lbs.

If Caterham can sell me a 1500lb EV 7 for 25K then I'm in..........otherwise companies can keep there overweight expensive cars.

EDIT..........I found the other thread very productive; it made me a forum deity.

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
8/1/23 4:16 p.m.

In reply to Tom1200 :

I feel like I need to revive the Ridgeline thread.... 

Tom Suddard
Tom Suddard GRM+ Memberand Director of Marketing & Digital Assets
8/1/23 4:18 p.m.

One note on price--EVs are more expensive, but the days of $25,000 new cars are basically over. "The average price for a new vehicle was $48,808 in June" according to Kelly Blue Book.

https://www.kbb.com/car-news/average-new-car-price-hit-48808-in-june/

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
8/1/23 4:31 p.m.
Tom Suddard said:

One note on price--EVs are more expensive, but the days of $25,000 new cars are basically over. "The average price for a new vehicle was $48,808 in June" according to Kelly Blue Book.

Everything is more expensive. Basically every shop (if you need work done) is $180/hr or more. I'm only 41 and remember when shop rates were $75/hr. 

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
8/1/23 4:37 p.m.
Tom Suddard said:

While the AVERAGE may be that high, there are plenty of good vehicles in that range. Wife's Seltos was $24,600 and the Forte was $26500. Both are a helluva lot of car for the money. 

EDIT: Cheapest Kia EV is $39k IF you can find a dealer with one to sell. Locally there are 3 but all over $42k. When you are talking about a 60% increase in price, there really needs to be something for that money ya know? 

kevlarcorolla
kevlarcorolla Dork
8/1/23 4:39 p.m.

In reply to Tom Suddard :

Yes for sure everything's more expensive,using your mantra of looking at vehicles without the bias of ice or ev powertrains its damn hard to ignore the big price jump between comparable ice and ev engined vehicles.

singleslammer
singleslammer PowerDork
8/1/23 5:41 p.m.

The Bolt, which GM just said they are continuing to make, isn't that far off of the 25k mark. This is included the incentives but even at MSRP, it is speced to a level I would expect from other compacts in the mid to upper 20s. I think that is likely true for lots of EVs. The entry price is higher but the base options include a lot more than a similar ICE model.

Snowdoggie (Forum Supporter)
Snowdoggie (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
8/1/23 5:53 p.m.
Tom Suddard said:

They might want to re-think that if a recession hits and cars start piling up on the dealer lots.

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
8/1/23 5:54 p.m.
bobzilla said:
Tom Suddard said:

While the AVERAGE may be that high, there are plenty of good vehicles in that range. Wife's Seltos was $24,600 and the Forte was $26500. Both are a helluva lot of car for the money. 

EDIT: Cheapest Kia EV is $39k IF you can find a dealer with one to sell. Locally there are 3 but all over $42k. When you are talking about a 60% increase in price, there really needs to be something for that money ya know? 

And I wonder how much you have to make to comfortably afford that. I know what we make vs our mortgage..........I already felt bad about buying a BRZ.

Tom Suddard
Tom Suddard GRM+ Memberand Director of Marketing & Digital Assets
8/1/23 6:00 p.m.

Yeah, the Bolt is less than $20k after the tax credit.  That's a killer deal. 

Tom1200
Tom1200 PowerDork
8/1/23 6:07 p.m.
Tom Suddard said:

Correct if I'm wrong but currently there are something like 35 models that can be had for 25K. Sure they are bare bones but they are out there. Those of us who are exceeding thrifty think 48K for a car is insanity............which is why I buy low mileage used cars.

I always feel like car buyers fall into the trap that happens in real estate whereby people are told to buy the most house they can afford etc.  Call me tinfoil hat but I feel like everyone in the industry wants you to believe you need to spend 50K  to get any sort of decent vehicle.

Snowdoggie (Forum Supporter)
Snowdoggie (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
8/1/23 6:13 p.m.
z31maniac said:
bobzilla said:
Tom Suddard said:

And I wonder how much you have to make to comfortably afford that. I know what we make vs our mortgage..........I already felt bad about buying a BRZ.

One of our houses is paid off and the other one we owe less than $10,000 on. All of our cars are paid off.

Yet I would rather be stuffing more money in the bank than adding a $1,000 a month car payment to the budget. The economy is scary right now and I don't feel comfortable being in that much debt.

Mrs. Snowdoggie's boss is a multimillionaire and owns commercial property all over town. He drives an old PT Cruiser. Does he know something we don't?

Tom1200
Tom1200 PowerDork
8/1/23 6:30 p.m.
Snowdoggie (Forum Supporter) said:

Mrs. Snowdoggie's boss is a multimillionaire and owns commercial property all over town. He drives an old PT Cruiser. Does he know something we don't?

I like this guy................note I have a six figure income so I can afford a $750-1000 car payment which works out to a 50-60K car.

I know 3 people with 7-8 figure incomes and most of them drive mundane cars on a daily basis. They all of 100-200K track cars but you'd never know they had money if you saw they're daily drivers. 

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
8/1/23 6:38 p.m.
Tom Suddard said:

Average of what?   Average of the price of all cars available? (which seems to be implied by the wording) Average of what people are paying for new cars? (which would be more useful information). It will make a huge difference.

E.g. if a car maker makes 2 cars, a $100,000 super car, and a $20,000 ecobox.  The average price of their cars is: $60,000.   If that car maker sells the ecobox 100 to 1 to the super car, the average price buyers are paying for a car from that manufacturer is: $20,792 !!

1 2 3 4 ... 14

This topic is locked. No further posts are being accepted.

Our Preferred Partners
zR7bvH7Bj19Cbiko0UZaycLU0Ra8u5xyEDXCZk9djmtPrknB4wnUx5949LRYOusU