DrBoost
DrBoost Reader
6/16/09 8:43 a.m.

Ok, so I broke down last night. I have been stymied way too many times by not having a welder. Last night I went and got one so I could get the mini back on the road and up for sale. Now, I'm always stymied by the lack of $$$ so I got a Campbell Hausfield flux core welder. It's not set up, nor can it be upgraded to gas. The next step up (would do flux core and can have gas as well) was $480 + $130 for the gas, the welder I got was $300. Am I going to regret not being able to use the gas? What's the real benefit? The two welders in question can to steel from 1/16 up to 5/16 (I think the more expensive one will do 1/4" maybe). Anyway, should I return the one I got and save up for the more expensive one?

DrBoost
DrBoost Reader
6/16/09 8:43 a.m.

Ok, 'nother question. If I want to weld aluminum, do I need a special welder or just special wire?

Trans_Maro
Trans_Maro Reader
6/16/09 9:12 a.m.

You need gas to weld aluminum. You'll also need a special gun liner because aluminum wire is "sticky".

Flux core need more heat to melt the wire, this might give you some greif when it comes to sheetmetal.

You'll also get a lot more spatter with flux core. Get really friendly with your angle grinder and a flap wheel. You'll be spending a lot of time together.

Shawn

abumason
abumason New Reader
6/16/09 9:25 a.m.

I am by no means an expert, but here's my 2 pennies.

It depends what you're welding - helpful huh?

I have a flux-core Lincoln 110 welder. It has been great for what I've needed it for. Fixed/replaced a few floorpans, added suspension mounts on a frame, fabbed up some custom brackets, and innumerable other things.

That being said, my welds aren't pretty.(with my welder, I'm better with my buddies gas setup). I think with a cheap welder you need to really be able to adjust your power level or you won't get good penetration. Lots of cleanup after too. For minor/small hobby level stuff flux-core is fine. I wouldn't do a roll cage with one or any project to "show-off" my abilities as a fabricator.

Also look used - stick with Miller or Lincoln, and for budget models go with Hobart (made by Miller).

-Thor

Ian F
Ian F HalfDork
6/16/09 10:21 a.m.

As long as we're discussing cheap welding options again, does anyone have any experience with a "stitch" welder add-on to an arc welder like the one Eastwood sells?

http://www.eastwood.com/metal-fabrication/welding/spot-and-stitch-welder-set-with-rods.html

WLB
WLB New Reader
6/16/09 11:20 a.m.
abumason wrote: added suspension mounts on a frame, quote> I don't mean to be critical but with the amount of inclusion I have observed on welds made with a flux core setup, you have created a death trap for yourself and others in your path.
abumason
abumason New Reader
6/16/09 11:29 a.m.
WLB wrote:
abumason wrote: added suspension mounts on a frame, quote> I don't mean to be critical but with the amount of inclusion I have observed on welds made with a flux core setup, you have created a death trap for yourself and others in your path.

It was adding a dual shock setup for an off-road vehicle. Been on the trail plenty and still holding up. The original shocks were still attached using the factory mounts, so not quite a death-trap.

WLB
WLB New Reader
6/16/09 11:46 a.m.

Sorry about that, I took "suspension mounts" to be brackets for A Arms, control arms, panhard bars and such.

Nashco
Nashco SuperDork
6/16/09 11:57 a.m.

The cost up front for the gas welder will be saved in the long run in time, grinding, and effort. Flux core welding suuuuuuuucks, in my opinion you should just use a stick welder if you're trying to be cheap and want to clean up your welds all day long instead of moving on with the project. Once you go gas, you'll never look back. Having been spoiled with a gas setup for many years, I recently used a flux core setup when in a pinch at the races. It got the job done, but it wasn't pretty or easy.

Bryce

bamalama
bamalama Reader
6/16/09 12:04 p.m.
Nashco wrote: The cost up front for the gas welder will be saved in the long run in time, grinding, and effort.

And wire! A spool of flux core wire is freakin' outrageous.

Nashco
Nashco SuperDork
6/16/09 12:32 p.m.
bamalama wrote:
Nashco wrote: The cost up front for the gas welder will be saved in the long run in time, grinding, and effort.
And wire! A spool of flux core wire is freakin' outrageous.

That's true, last time I checked flux core is 2-3 times more money...but that's about the same you'd pay for gas, so it probably works out about even (ignoring the up front cost of the gas kit and gas cylinder). Relative to the cost of the welder, wire and gas are still fairly cheap. $100 worth of wire and gas will do a LOT of welding.

Bryce

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess SuperDork
6/16/09 12:53 p.m.

Yeah, flux core wire is high. It is also real handy. You can take the welder out to the job instead of the other way around. And a can of anti-splatter and some dollar store aluminum foil goes a long way. Also, I only have a pure Argon bottle for gas, so I can do stainless and aluminum if I need to. So I use the flux core stuff on carbon steel with Argon over it (double shielded). But I don't do much carbon steel with the MIG anyway. Just the occasional steel sheet metal project. I use my stick (SMAW) welder for things like suspension brackets and A arms, but I tack it in place with the MIG.

My friend was a production MIG welder for Case, I think. Heavy equipment manufacturer, anyway. The stuff he says went out the door and is still working out here somewhere makes all the experts warnings seem rather unimportant. He always tried to make good welds, but said that the other union workers (UAW) could get pretty sloppy.

Trans_Maro
Trans_Maro Reader
6/16/09 1:45 p.m.

My gas bottle is portable enough to bring to the job along with the welder.

You're already bringing a welder to the job, what's an extra 40lbs?

Shawn

Nashco
Nashco SuperDork
6/16/09 2:42 p.m.

I've brought the gas welder to the job many times. If portability is an issue, get a smaller gas bottle.

Bryce

ansonivan
ansonivan New Reader
6/16/09 4:42 p.m.

I would say take the flux core welder back if you still can. Honestly welding with gas shielding is that much better/stronger/easier. I have a pair of 30 cu ft tanks which are 100% portable. Even a 60 ft tank is easily hauled around.

Go forth, return, spend more and revel in the glory of the argon shield!

Also, if you can wait a few weeks and watch the local classifieds you should be able to find a lightly used model. I bought my practically new 110 miller with a tank, regulator, spare wire, tips and cart for $500. I've seen them go as low as $250

suprf1y
suprf1y Reader
6/16/09 4:50 p.m.

Welding is welding. If its done properly, it, makes no difference what method is used (certain specialized applications aside). IMO, the most potentially dangerous welds are mig. They can look great, and be very weak, with very poor penetration. For safety, if you are a rookie, I would choose arc, or flux core.

Toyman01
Toyman01 GRM+ Memberand Reader
6/16/09 5:14 p.m.
WLB wrote:

If you have inclusions in the welds someone is doing it wrong. Properly run flux welding is just as strong as gas. Not as pretty due to splatter. It takes more skill to weld with flux core wire than gas shield. It's not a point and squirt deal, you have to pay attention to the weld. High strength high fill welding is done as "double shielded" a lot of the time using flux wire and gas.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
rBu1hNYExnPvTc7L07Gt1u2MUZfAyYdt3EJ1VR2TntrUKcefFIBlvfOqO0B90b8p