1 2 3
HiTempguy
HiTempguy UberDork
4/10/15 10:02 a.m.

http://driving.ca/nissan/370z/auto-news/news/2016-nissan-370z-starts-at-30000-in-canada

Jeebus h

yamaha
yamaha MegaDork
4/10/15 10:03 a.m.

Meh.

rcutclif
rcutclif GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
4/10/15 10:08 a.m.

all the 2015 canadian buyers want to send a sincere thank you to nissan for this.

HiTempguy
HiTempguy UberDork
4/10/15 10:09 a.m.
yamaha wrote: Meh.

Care to expand perhaps?

jv8
jv8 GRM+ Memberand New Reader
4/10/15 10:09 a.m.

It's missing two rear doors and a big hatch.

Focus RS still looks good to me.

drummerfromdefleopard
drummerfromdefleopard GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
4/10/15 10:12 a.m.

that's about where it should've been priced all along

Nick_Comstock
Nick_Comstock PowerDork
4/10/15 10:13 a.m.

In reply to jv8:

Not having two rear doors alone is enough to win over any four door. A huge check in the plus column.

singleslammer
singleslammer UltraDork
4/10/15 10:18 a.m.

In reply to Nick_Comstock:

Nope, having lived in a world of two seaters for years, style can take a hike and give that sweet functionality. I just can't imagine that the 370z does much of anything better than the Focus RS. It is likely to be lighter but I imagine that in basically all numerical other measurements the RS will win. With that said it is still a totally opinion based decision and everything I just said will change zero people's minds.

ultraclyde
ultraclyde UltraDork
4/10/15 10:23 a.m.

I'm amazed that Nissan took the fairly good looking 370 body and vanilla-ized it into a completely boring package. They'd better discount it 10k to compensate. Well, 5k for the downgrade in looks, and 5k just because it's a Nissan.

evildky
evildky SuperDork
4/10/15 10:35 a.m.

Not sure why the canadian model cost so much more, with the rise of the dollar I'm waiting for US prices to start reflecting it. I imagine Nissan is looking to boost Z34 sales as I'm sure the pending Z35 is effecting sales. Also, 2 door FTW. No kids never cared for more than 2 doors, I love a hatch but hate 4 doors, thats my complaint about all the newer "hot hatches" The EE and EF would not have exploded on the aftermarket as they did if they were offered only in 4 doors.

jimbob_racing
jimbob_racing Dork
4/10/15 10:51 a.m.

I agree. If four doors are so cool, why do manufactures work so hard at hiding the rear door handles so vehicles appear like coupes at first glance?

z31maniac
z31maniac UltimaDork
4/10/15 11:10 a.m.

I want a 400Z with a small, high-revving V8. Or with a twin turbo V6.

kanaric
kanaric Dork
4/10/15 11:25 a.m.
HiTempguy wrote:
Care to expand perhaps?

Very long in the tooth car with very average performance capabilities.

Focus RS will be all new tech and one of the top performance vehicles you can buy once it comes out.

There is a reason 370Z sales have tanked into nothingness these past few years.

If four doors are so cool, why do manufactures work so hard at hiding the rear door handles so vehicles appear like coupes at first glance?

To appeal to this guy I work with that knows nothing about cars and buy a "veloster" because it "looks cool".

Not having two rear doors alone is enough to win over any four door. A huge check in the plus column.

Evos and STIs have pretty much dispelled this with almost anyone under 35 who doesn't prefer american cars.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/10/15 11:34 a.m.

Yeah a 370z bores me, it's like a modern muscle car that's as impractical as a Miata. To me personally it's a car less valuable than a Toyobaru (which doesn't have as much straight-line power but handles better and is much more practical and economical) or an ND (which is about as practical and has less power, but again handles better and is more economical) or certainly a Focus RS (an AWD car with similar power, better handling and vastly greater practicality).

kanaric
kanaric Dork
4/10/15 11:41 a.m.

I think the OP is interested in it because it used to be $40k in canada for a base 370z.

Them being cheap down here hasn't swayed anyone into choosing them

jv8
jv8 GRM+ Memberand New Reader
4/10/15 11:47 a.m.
jimbob_racing wrote: I agree. If four doors are so cool, why do manufactures work so hard at hiding the rear door handles so vehicles appear like coupes at first glance?

I don't think anyone is arguing four doors are "cool"... frankly I'm too old to care what's cool. All I care is that a hot hatch drives like a sports car but still takes my kids to school/practice/etc.

Hot hatches are about blending practicality with driving experience. It's just your version of practicality differs from mine.

There are plenty of options in the good looking 2 door sports car market so I understand why manufacturers err on the side of too practical. They are pulling buyers out of CUVs. You can always just ignore the rear doors.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
4/10/15 11:55 a.m.
HiTempguy wrote:
Care to expand perhaps?

It's just, meh. I really really really wanted to like the 350/370Z cars. I just... don't.

racerdave600
racerdave600 SuperDork
4/10/15 11:58 a.m.
GameboyRMH wrote: Yeah a 370z bores me, it's like a modern muscle car that's as impractical as a Miata. To me personally it's a car less valuable than a Toyobaru (which doesn't have as much straight-line power but handles better and is much more practical and economical) or an ND (which is about as practical and has less power, but again handles better and is more economical) or certainly a Focus RS (an AWD car with similar power, better handling and vastly greater practicality).

I feel somewhat qualified to answer this as I just sold a 2011 370Z Touring Sport, and bought a new 2015 BRZ. First, the 370Z is faster than the BRZ in every way. It generates more grip, and is a ton faster. In fact, it was faster than a fellow co-worker's late model 911 in a straight line.

What it gives up to the BRZ is steering and clutch feel, and really nothing else. The interior and seats are simply in a different league, as are all the materials. It's not all roses with the 370 though, as it has a few quality issues in regards to the clutch and bushings. I wouldn't call them game changers however.

I do however like my BRZ. Better than the 370, probably not. I don't like it less than the 370, it's just different. I don't miss the tire bill the 370 generated, and it remains to be seen if the BRZ holds up better or worse. It certainly has some of the worst seats on the planet where the 370's were very nice.

By contrast, the Focus RS holds practically zero appeal to me. The 370 once again is in a different category and is built to a higher standard as far as materials, etc. Apples to oranges, just like the BRZ / 370 comparison.

I should also note, that to get a decently optioned 370, you're going to need to spend quite a bit more than the $30k mentioned.

yamaha
yamaha MegaDork
4/10/15 12:04 p.m.
Duke wrote:
HiTempguy wrote:
Care to expand perhaps?
It's just, *meh*. I really really really wanted to like the 350/370Z cars. I just... don't.

This exactly, but one plus note, I think they fixed the disappearing oil issue.

Feedyurhed
Feedyurhed SuperDork
4/10/15 12:07 p.m.

Bet that won't make the buyers of the 2015 Z car very happy. Nothing like finding out your car that you paid 40k for can now be purchased for 30K a year later.

Nick_Comstock
Nick_Comstock PowerDork
4/10/15 12:08 p.m.
jv8 wrote: You can always just ignore the rear doors.

Lies, damned lies!

GameboyRMH
4/10/15 12:09 p.m.
Feedyurhed wrote: Bet that won't make the buyers of the 2015 Z car very happy. Nothing like finding out your car that you paid 40k for can now be purchased for 30K a year later.

Yeah, it must suck for the guy who just saved up an extra year to buy one...buyer's remorse going SUPER-SAIYAN!!!

HiTempguy
HiTempguy UberDork
4/10/15 12:12 p.m.

Price point for price point, this car is better looking than a Mushtang or Genesis and from anything I can tell, faster.

I want to like the mustang, but the base models are just so... girly looking.

I'd rather this car and then slap a turbo kit on it as the VQ's love boost.

The only "miss" with this car is there are not even token backseats.

GameboyRMH
4/10/15 12:14 p.m.

I'd take the Mustang over the 370z for the greater performance and potential, and I think the 370z has a few nasty styling quirks that really ruin it - most prominently, the way they tried to shoehorn 240z quarter windows onto it and headlights that only Nissan could come up with.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
4/10/15 12:18 p.m.
HiTempguy wrote: The only "miss" with this car is there are not even token backseats.

That's NOT a miss to me. I'd much rather have no back seats at all, instead of useless vestigial things that no human could ever reasonably fit in when Regular-size Rudy is in the front seat.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
VEtOvKWvgSVW9ieDkbXwJYM7CyD3DYEJogKfgkJfmIIY3eEwhNY0NNgoXCMs2V0N