BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
3/14/15 9:17 p.m.

My local SCCA chapter puts on the Tire Rack Street Survival course once a year and after having had to drop out last year, I got a chance to coach a couple of drivers this year.

I went there not knowing what to expect, but I have to say I had a lot of fun. If you've ever considered doing something like this, do it.

Tom_Spangler
Tom_Spangler GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
3/14/15 10:11 p.m.

I'm about to sign my soon-to-be-15-year-old twins up for "regular" driver training. I figured I'd let them get a little experience under their belts first, but they are definitely going to be doing Street Survival in the next couple of years. I'm hoping it's a way for them to learn without bending sheetmetal like I did as a teenager.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
3/15/15 9:18 a.m.

I've helped out at a couple, as an instructor, and it is fun and rewarding. I sent DD#1, DD#2, and DD#2's boyfriend through the program. I would be glad to volunteer more, but they never seem to be less than about 90 minute's drive away from here.

Harvey
Harvey GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
3/15/15 5:59 p.m.

I was an instructor at ours last year. It's fun. We had enough instructors to just go 1:1. I think the kids enjoyed it and they also got a lot out of it.

Spoolpigeon
Spoolpigeon UltraDork
3/15/15 7:42 p.m.

Similar story here. Got to be an instructor last year and had a lot of fun with my 2 students. Nothing but good things to say about the program.

M2Pilot
M2Pilot HalfDork
3/15/15 8:02 p.m.

My son and 1 nephew have participated in Street Survival. After 25 years of driving between the 2 of them, they have had no traffic accidents. 2 other nephews haven't participated. After 20 years or so between the two, they have had 4 traffic accidents that I'm aware of.

Not a scientific survey, but I believe it's a damned good program.

wlkelley3
wlkelley3 SuperDork
3/15/15 8:23 p.m.

Instructed a couple years ago at one and instructing again in 2 weeks. I had a blast teaching and watching my student get better and gain confidence as the day went on. Good program. Looking forward to doing it again.

Jerry
Jerry SuperDork
3/16/15 8:05 a.m.

I've helped out at two, mostly photographing and pitching in wherever needed. I hope we do another soon, although getting them together is worse than herding cats.

gearheadE30
gearheadE30 Reader
3/16/15 8:19 a.m.

I was a student at the first BMWCCA-hosted one in my area, helped out the following year or two, and have instructed since then. It's a very cool program, and at the same time a little scary when you realize that a large percentage of the people on the road, young and old, fall into similar categories of not having any instinct as to how to control a car in an emergency situation. Definitely a good program, and always seems to have a good turnout.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
tctpdRfvMIoRytpMfzdu10x1hvQNnuD8LN8ZP5myysnr6XyymhRgAPYVDqNWhDB2